SERE/Land survival info

Guest Bullmastiff

Just got back from SERE this week- here's my $0.02-

We had alot of snow in the mountains, definitely take a gortex jacket and gortex pants. They may be expensive but are a lifesaver. The shoppette in the hotel sells the jackets but to get the pants you have to go to the main BX.

You didn't get issued any of this? If you didn't, make sure you write it off on your taxes! If your losing unit refuses to pay for / issue it, I recommend you ask your gaining unit. It won't hurt, because, you'll have to get it eventually if you're aircrew (unless you're stationed Hawaii and don't deploy).

My 2 cents is, it's 5 days of life long lessons, suck it up and have fun. I just did all my retraining (SS02, SS03, SS07) and minus the briefs, its the most fun training we do in the AF minus small arms.

I wore BDUs in the winter with my issued gore-tex jacket (Casual at Grand Forks). Don't think too many units are issuing them anymore. I bought the matching pants online for 30 bucks. Pick a used BDU set online for cheap. When I was there they didn't give two shits about things like "uniform combinations"

• 3 months later...

My SERE date is half in the winter and half in the summer months. According to the "what to bring" list, jungle boots are only authorized in the summer months. What exactly is the definition of a jungle boot. I have one pair of black boots to go with my old school BDUs and they have mesh on the side. They are, however, water proof all the way to the top. I'd wear the all leather issued boots but they make my feet blister up faster than an albino on the beach.

Guest Crew Report

SERE instructors don't really give a shit what kind of boot you wear. I saw people wearing Marauders with Leather Luster (Shoe's boot of choice with BDU's) and they didn't care. I'd wear a boot that waterproof like the pair you have and pack a lot of socks.

My SERE date is half in the winter and half in the summer months. According to the "what to bring" list, jungle boots are only authorized in the summer months. What exactly is the definition of a jungle boot. I have one pair of black boots to go with my old school BDUs and they have mesh on the side. They are, however, water proof all the way to the top. I'd wear the all leather issued boots but they make my feet blister up faster than an albino on the beach.

You can wear those black mesh boots. I don't remember anyone giving a shit about what boots you wore in the field. If they at least look like boots, you're good to go. You'll be wearing those overboot things during the winter anyway.

So what you're saying is that your one week in the field is half Winter and half Summer? Most places call that Fall or Spring. It's nice that you won't have to deal with your all-leather boot getting slightly damp from the snow and then freezing overnight into a solid mass that you have to melt by the fire before you can slide it on. Wear a pair of normal waterproof boots, the fabric/goretex stuff is fine. "Jungle" boots are a specific type that were phased out years ago and were not waterproof. The weather should be nice when you're there, just bring good bug repellent. I'd recommend the issue deet (little green tubes). It's industrial strength, but works.

So what you're saying is that your one week in the field is half Winter and half Summer? Most places call that Fall or Spring. It's nice that you won't have to deal with your all-leather boot getting slightly damp from the snow and then freezing overnight into a solid mass that you have to melt by the fire before you can slide it on. Wear a pair of normal waterproof boots, the fabric/goretex stuff is fine. "Jungle" boots are a specific type that were phased out years ago and were not waterproof. The weather should be nice when you're there, just bring good bug repellent. I'd recommend the issue deet (little green tubes). It's industrial strength, but works.

He may just be from somewhere like North Dakota where we have two seasons: winter and road construction.

In all seriousness, waterproof and LOTS of dry socks are absolutely key. I went trudging through a swamp on our last day of evasion (the instructors later told us they knew where we were, but "there's no way I'm gonna wallow through that sh**". I paid for it later when I didn't change my socks in a timely manner; comments about albinos on the beach are apropos.

Guest pilotapplicant

I was there during the "half winter, half summer time frame." The instructor cadre will make a decision on whether you will be doing the winter program or the summer program which is based on weather and how much/if any snow is on the ground. We went to the winter site and did the winter movement schedule (affects where you hike ect.) but the weather was pretty much summer. We still had to carry overboots and field jackets which are issued at SERE but we didn't wear them.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have any insight as to whether BDUs/BDU gortex and similar will be allowed in the field after the uniform changeover? I'm heading there at the end of Nov and have some BDU gear, but nothing ABU. Figured I'd ask here before bugging them. Thanks!

I'd be surprised if they gave you crap about wearing BDU's. They seem to be pretty cool about that stuff and don't want you to spend a bunch of money on stuff you might never wear again. Wouldn't hurt to call up there and ask though.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether BDUs/BDU gortex and similar will be allowed in the field after the uniform changeover? I'm heading there at the end of Nov and have some BDU gear, but nothing ABU. Figured I'd ask here before bugging them. Thanks!

They actually might care... When I went in Dec (all the snow stories brought back the good memories!)they specifically told us that to get on the bus to go out "to field," that we had to be in accordance with 36-2903. No kidding, end quote. Once you're in the field, however, nobody cares. One guy was wearing a North Face fleece with his flight suit every night around the campfire and nobody cared. Bottom line, if you show up in full Gore Tex, they won't know what you have on underneath, but you have to look like you're in compliance. I'd just take flightsuits and BDUs and anything else you even think you might need and ask your instructor when you get there. Anything you don't want to pack just throw on the floor of your room.

For what it's worth, I wore thermal pants (issued creamy looking stuff, sts), an Under Armor cold gear thing, my flightsuit on top of that, and full Gore Tex on top of that. I couldn't have been more comfortable, I often took off the Under Armor because it was too hot. I bought the Gore-Tex on my own dime and sold it to a buddy who went the week after...I lost about $50 on the deal, and it couldn't have been better spent!

The whole shitting in a flight suit is over-rated. The first night I climbed out of my sleeping bag at about 0300 to drop the kids off in the snow, needless to say BDU's wouldn't have saved me then. If you wear ABUs/BDUs, the ABU belt + a belt for the Gore Tex + your pack's hip belt chafes in all the wrong places. Also, somebody mentioned having your zippers to warm socks/gloves, it works. Speaking of socks...Smart Wool!

Hope that helps!

That water really was inconvenient at 3am and you had just gotten cozy in your sleeping bag...Hardest part of SERE was getting out of that damn bag every morning or for the emergency piss.

The one night I was given water at 3am I don't recall being in a sleeping bag...or being cozy for that matter

Edited by MT Aviator

• 1 year later...

Does anybody have any unclass info on SERE 220 (SV-83) they can share or shoot me a PM? Thanks.

It's been 7 years, but I seem to recall sitting in the corner of a small room crying myself to sleep. If you want to chair fly that, go find the nearest closet and cry yourself to sleep.

I asked people about it when I was getting ready to go...and I'm really happy they didn't tell me anything.

It's legitimately good training and showing up with no (or very little) idea of what to expect is not a bad thing.

Exactly. Not knowing what to expect or what is going to happen can actually be valuable in this instance.

I asked people about it when I was getting ready to go...and I'm really happy they didn't tell me anything.

It's legitimately good training and showing up with no (or very little) idea of what to expect is not a bad thing.

Blasphemy! How can I be expected to pass any sort of training course without the dirty purples?

How long is SERE 220? I was told by the 170GP at Offutt that it is a 5 day course (Monday-Friday). I attended SV-80 in 2002 but now with my new job at Offutt, I am having to attend SERE 220 (SV-83) for my new job.

Thanks.

There's a website for this sort of information: ETCA.

• Upvote 1