SERE/Land survival info

Guest Bullmastiff

This is the advanced SERE course commonly known as advanced beating school. The course goes into greater detail in teaching resistance techniques needed for those who may have information concerned more critical and their mission puts them in greater chance of capture.

EE

Guest CrashCB18

The "extra beatings" course taught at Fairchild is Level C. Students at the regular SERE course get a Level A or B training of what is taught at extended beatings (difference between A and B??). When I was there this summer, they mentioned how they want to incorporate more of extended beatings material into SV-80. Different purposes for both courses.

A/B/C is the level of training you get, and it's not tied to a specific course.

Level A = basic unclassified instruction (i.e. what you get in ROTC about the Code of Conduct)

Level B - classified instruction (i.e. what you get during resistance academics at Fairchild)

Level C = role-play (i.e. welcome to Limnadia )

The "advanced beatings" course is Level C instruction. Until you've gone to this course, you've only had Level B on that stuff.

Guest Guppyguy

I'm in the 28Nov to 14Dec land survival class and am trying to get to a wedding on the 16th. I remember in water survival they said that sometimes due to weather the class gets extended another day or two.

Does this ever happen at Fairchild, especially in the winter months?

Thanks-

Gup

Yes, it does happen sometimes though not the norm. The WX is the biggest factor for extending the course. The school sometimes will also cut short the field portion due too WX, a long shoot though. The school wants all the students to have the max amount of training since this is the only real chance to practice SERE skills unless the world has turned to sh*t and you are actually on the ground evading.

EE

We got 4 feet of snow when I was there, ON TOP of the 3 feet that was on the ground when I showed up, so I have a hard time believing they could postpone anything for weather. The whole point of survival school is to teach you to adapt to adverse situations, so I would think they'll embrace all the crappy weather they can get.

There was no kidding, five feet of snow when I went through in 2002. They bussed our asses up there with tire chains etc... When they couldn't make it with tire chains alone, they had these weird looking snow tractors, like bull dozers with rubber tracks on them, try to haul the busses up the rest of the way. We were about half way up the mountain and trees had knocked down powerlines. We were getting out to walk the rest of the way up, but they couldn't even get the power company to get out in it to turn the power off to the downed lines. So, to my knowledge, at least told by the instructors, we were the first class since 1976 to be shorted "one" day in the woods.

Long story short -- in the gamble on you and the SERE schedule, bet on the SERE schedule.

• 5 months later...

If I had to do it over again I would of worn my BDUs. Wearing the flight suit isn't THAT bad (especially in the summer), just plan on it being ruined. It was nice to have extra pockets on the flight suit.

Here's what I reccomend to bring: Camel Bak, Gatorade pouches, and Tabasco...you'll need it when you eat that waskully wabbit. Have fun with the beatings! Say hello to "Guns" for me.

Guest lovelacm

Here's my thought on the whole BDU vs. Bag deal:

Why are you going to SERE in the first place? You're going to learn how to survive and how to live as if you've been shot-down or otherwise forced out into a wilderness setting in your duty uniform.

Are you aircrew? (Probably if you're reading this and headed off to SERE) Do you routinely wear a flightsuit? If yes, then I would NOT wear BDUs out into the field at Fairchild. You're cheating yourself if you do.

Do you know how running around in the woods will feel in a bag? Probably not.

Do you know how to take a crap in the woods while wearing a bag? Probably not.

Don't you think that now's a pretty good time to figure that stuff out instead of when you're (God forbid) really in a survival situation? I sure as all hell do!!!

I wore my bag and am proud of it.. it's a learning situation.. Yep, I had to figure out the old deuce-in-the-woods deal, too. It builds character... along with guaranteeing that nobody will want to cuddle with you at night.

Don't sell yourself short on anything. Treat this with as much realisim as possible and learn whatever you can from it.

Understand that you'll f*ck up in RT... we all did the first time around. That's why it's a learning experience. I guarantee that you'll be glued to the instructors when you return to "the world" after that first taste of RT. You'll want to know everything there is to know about how this thing works and what the f*ck you're supposed to do about it.

Now go out there and have some serious fun. It's a good time. You won't never forget it, ya hear?

Cheers!

Linda

P.S. There's a red-head SERE instructor out there (or at least there WAS) who was HOT and meaner'n a copperhead snake after a chicken! Keep yer eyes out...

[ 02. April 2006, 14:16: Message edited by: Linda ]

Guest goirishgo

Flight suit will stay dry more, and you can unzip it halfway and stuff more crap between it and your body, makes for a nice convenient pocket, especially for using body heat to dry shit out like your wool and nomex gloves. As for the taking a crap, it's really not the end of the world and not the best reason, besides you can get around that by taking off the flight suit and leaving the thermals and goretex on which will keep you warm enough by a fire. That way you can take a crap like you're used to and won't have to worry about it.

Have fun.

Guest croftfam

I had no problems whatsoever with a flight suit. I don't understand why everyone says the bag is so difficult at SERE. Whiners. My bags also survived without any holes or tears whatsoever. I don't get it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Who goes: Any person in an AFSC that requires the training. There are plenty of people that go who don't require it though.

When: Most people go right after graduating UPT. But some will go to FTU, PCS to their unit, and then go. It all depends on how many open spots there are at a given time.

How long: About three weeks.

What happens: Starve, eat some bugs, light a fire, kill bunnies, and .

Try searching "SERE" in the search function. There have been several threads on this in the past.

HD

[ 13. July 2006, 19:02: Message edited by: HerkDerka ]

A couple of the basics. First week, death by power point. Second week, Field. Third week, Happy Valley. You work/train through the weekends, no days off. The field portion can be a good time, depending on your element, your instructors, your level of fitness, and the weather. The weather sucked for us, but the rest was good so I had fun. If you don't get anything else out of this thread, remember the comment about rationing. Having an MRE meal left on the last day in the woods will make life better. Oh yeah, make sure to try the Moose Drool. Great stuff.

• 1 month later...
Guest scottaxelson

When its all done, theres a steak restaurant called the prospector right outside the front of base. Treat yourself to a huge steak dinner there to celebrate. Great food and steaks.

Moose Drool rules, one of the few good things bout Minot is that stores sell it here.

• 9 months later...
Guest JimmyH

Nearly everyone wore their BDUs (of the ~75 of us, maybe 8 were in flight suits) but I was GLAD I had my flight suit. It dries a lot faster if you get rained on (or whatever precip comes out of the sky on you). And its a lot cooler. The ONLY disadvantages are you can't remove the top with as much ease and taking a dump is obviously harder. And like someone above said, you won't be taking a dump. Even if you do, it won't be ALL day so why ruin the rest of your day?

You really don't need to bring anything. They'll have everything you'll want at the shoppette (or maybe the BX). Though I would recommend as said above water wicking shirts and lots of socks. I used 7 pairs of socks in 5 days. I probably didn't need to make that last sock change, but I had 7 pairs, so why not? I never once changed my shirt. It went right into the garbage when I got back.

Camelback.. eh, I didn't have one. There were times I definately wished I had one but my pack was heavy enough, thanks.

Have fun, and be safe! DO NOT LOSE AN EYE.

Camel back and gortex- both are worth their weight in gold. You never have to stop, get your canteen out, take a drink, struggle to put your canteen back, repeat. You can walk/climb and enjoy mucky puddle water with ease. Gortex- you never get wet- rain/sleet and snow, you're dry. And the best part about the gortex, is anywhere you want to sit is dry, because it doesn't matter. Everyone else is trying to find a dry spot to relax for 5 minutes, and you can lay down where ever. It's a good thing. Also BDU's are the way to go- if it's hot, take off the blouse, cold- put it back on. Can't do it with a flight suit. If you think your quality of training will somehow be decreased because you didn't wear your bag- you've got issues.

On a seperate note- bring tobacco. Even if you don't smoke or dip, it's good for trading. I scored a turkey sandwich, mountain dew and a snickers from an instructor stuck out in the field an extra week with no smokes. My element thought I ruled when I took a bite of the sandwich and passed it, swig of dew and passed it, bite of snickers, and passed it. All for 2 smokes, the guy was desperate.

Just like a deployment- look for humor, it's there at SERE and laughing at the suck will make it tolerable.

Definitely wear the flight suit, take extra socks, and pack the minimum amount you can. You'll already be hauling all the stuff they issue you, don't make it more difficult by adding weight. The thick blousing straps with velcro are super useful, and take some extra 550 cord, you can use it for everything.

Ditto, my morning constitutional was more than a walk. I guess if minimalist camping is new or uncomfortable for you, then I can see the plugged up policy. FYI...I was a BDU guy there, mostly because I hate wearing the bag when it's hot. I was stunned to hear some folks think that the bag is cooler when its hot, but to each his own I suppose.

Dry socks, drawers and t-shirts (Gore-tex if you have it). Power bars of choice. Everything else they give ya.

I just wish we would go to the two piece flight suit the Army uses...I hear we "technically" can wear it now...it is just not issued yet. I did see one dude wearing it not to long ago.

Edited by Boxhead

Guest Rainman A-10
Clothing is clothing man.

Champ is absolutely correct. It doesn't matter one bit what clothes you wear.

If you have spent any time in the woods it should be no big deal. If you haven't, try to learn and enjoy a new experience. Tens of thousands of people have gone through this training, imagine the lowest common denominator factor they have to apply to the syllabus.

I would definitely bring the Goretex jacket and pants if you can get a set issued. That would've been nice. I went through before there was such a thing...

I hear people talking about tobacco and power bars...do they let you bring that stuff out in the field or do you have to sneak it out somehow?

I thought the field survival training was fun. It would've been more fun if people hadn't bitched the whole time. Pay attention and take it seriously. We snared a deer and I killed it with an axe. A couple of us ate the backstrap that night, several of the people in my group thought venison was "gross." A couple days later it mysteriously showed up "in scenario", they had no idea they were being fed venison and they mucked it right down. I laughed my ass off.

This is some training you will remember 50 years from now. They've had decades to refine the syllabus and they know what they're doing. Think about it this way, this is some training that just might save your life/save you from going to "prison." The people I saw take it seriously were the ones who knew they would be high risk of capture when they got to their next job. You can probably imagine which ones acted like idiots and bitched the whole time.

Just listen up, do as you're trained, don't try to game the system and enjoy being in the woods.