Radio etiquette

Guest rotorhead

Do those newfangled computers now tell you when the gear is down and locked?

The worst are hearing C-17's trying to contact Manas Command Post from Kabul every five minutes.

Wow, awesome. Good to know the C-17 community is the only one to suffer a class A as a result of crew error. How's the view from up there? :notworthy:

Wow, awesome. Good to know the C-17 community is the only one to suffer a class A as a result of crew error. How's the view from up there? :notworthy:

If by "up there" you mean where we can taxi without using full power on the engines, then the view's just fine. :rock:

My personal fav is when idiots don't pause a few seconds after tuning a new freq to find out if somone had just made a radio call. I love it when I make a radio all requesting for higher and before center/control has a chance to respond, some idiot pipes in "checking in at 350".

Side note: I think C-17 gear up landing jokes are funny. Sounds like a few folks need some thicker skin.

My personal fav is when idiots don't pause a few seconds after tuning a new freq to find out if somone had just made a radio call. I love it when I make a radio all requesting for higher and before center/control has a chance to respond, some idiot pipes in "checking in at 350".

Agreed. The two ears, one mouth rule applies there. Also helps to pause before switching freqs, when switching centers etc, in case the freq is incorrect. Technique only.

If by "up there" you mean where we can taxi without using full power on the engines, then the view's just fine. :rock:

Or how about the view from a hilltop in Jackson Hole or Puerto Rico or maybe on an extended HAR track in OEF. I'm a prior Herk guy, I had at least one friend on board of each of those crashes who was either seriously injured or killed. My only point is this sounds more and more like a C-17 bashing thread when the Herk community has suffered their fair share of losses due to pilot error. I'm all for good fun, I'm not sure bagging on a guy that made a mistake that he will carry for the rest of his career is the best place for humor.

I do have to say that the absolute WORST buffoons on the radio are the guys from SE Asia flying over afghanistan. Their radio strategy seems to be 1. Step on someone, 2. If you got stepped on, talk LOUDER while stepping on someone else, 3. ??? 4. Profit!

I'm all for good fun, I'm not sure bagging on a guy that made a mistake that he will carry for the rest of his career is the best place for humor.

It sure as hell is.

That's what the best callsigns are about...the thing that is unusual or unique and funny about you. If you are unfortunate enough to make a mistake you should own it as your fucking name for the rest of your life, because it is funny.

This ain't no puss game.

It sure as hell is.

That's what the best callsigns are about...the thing that is unusual or unique and funny about you. If you are unfortunate enough to make a mistake you should own it as your ######ing name for the rest of your life, because it is funny.

This ain't no puss game.

Maybe it's the herbivore in me. That's a great idea to give him a callsign. Unfortunately, we don't do callsigns in the C-17. So where do we draw the line? If they had all died that day would it still be as funny? My only point from the beginning was that we all have folks that have screwed up in the jet. He won't learn anything by being ridiculed for the rest of his career. I think Zrooster shacked it. We haven't had any issues dodging potholes in Q-West :M16a2:

FWIW, there is a bigger issue with the AC back flying again. I don't think he should be in the jet. Our leadership is more focused on PME, AAD, SARC, MEO, PFT, Blues Monday, etc. It has gotten out of hand. More with less will only work for so long.

Like you said, this aint no puss game.

FWIW, there is a bigger issue with the AC back flying again. I don't think he should be in the jet. Our leadership is more focused on PME, AAD, SARC, MEO, PFT, Blues Monday, etc. It has gotten out of hand. More with less will only work for so long.

Like you said, this aint no puss game.

Why is him flying again a bigger issue? Is landing gear up a trend item for him? What did the FEB conclude?

It sure as hell is.

That's what the best callsigns are about...the thing that is unusual or unique and funny about you. If you are unfortunate enough to make a mistake you should own it as your ######ing name for the rest of your life, because it is funny.

This ain't no puss game.

2. We don't do callsigns either - though some nicknames have definitely stuck - but remember that cliche BS about a thousand attaboys for one screwup. It's true. Especially when you FORGET TO PUT THE GEAR DOWN. Or try to fly a crappy Russian PAR(or whatever it was) to 50 ft and less vis. Been to Russia in the winter? Yeah. 100 ft cloud deck is generous.

Bottom line, the jokes and ridicule, good natured or otherwise, are a reflection of the high standards to which we hold each other. It can be overspeeding the flaps by 50 knots or ramming a mountain in Albania, but the lightest penalty is a bad callsign. The worst is a smoking hole.

• Upvote 2

When going OEF my personal technique is to yell at the top of my lungs when checking in with Karachi. You don't want to sound angry, just crazed or really confused and possibly scared just like they do. They don't notice you are doing it because its the way they naturally speak. An added beneifit, thus far ZERO "in the blind" calls to them.

When going OEF my personal technique is to yell at the top of my lungs when checking in with Karachi. You don't want to sound angry, just crazed or really confused and possibly scared just like they do. They don't notice you are doing it because its the way they naturally speak. An added beneifit, thus far ZERO "in the blind" calls to them.

Don't forget the obligatory double Karachi to begin each transmission.

He won't learn anything by being ridiculed for the rest of his career.

It's not just about learning.

It's also about harassment, and being able to take that harassment because of the big boy pants you were issued when you hit the big leagues.

Besides, if the guy feels really butthurt about his C/S, he can usually just ask the fellas who named him to change it. Works every time.

EDIT: He can try that, or just make up his own. Always loved that move...

Edited by Spoo

Or how about the view from a hilltop in Jackson Hole or Puerto Rico or maybe on an extended HAR track in OEF. I'm a prior Herk guy, I had at least one friend on board of each of those crashes who was either seriously injured or killed. My only point is this sounds more and more like a C-17 bashing thread when the Herk community has suffered their fair share of losses due to pilot error. I'm all for good fun, I'm not sure bagging on a guy that made a mistake that he will carry for the rest of his career is the best place for humor.

I'm all for bagging on them for a mistake he made. However, what I'm not all for is you throwing crews under the bus where people were killed. That's a totally different scenario, and you're a douche for even bringing up Jackson Hole. People died on those missions and you're an ass for even comparing a gear up landing to an airplane that was destroyed and killed most/if not all aboard.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's the herbivore in me. That's a great idea to give him a callsign. Unfortunately, we don't do callsigns in the C-17. So where do we draw the line? If they had all died that day would it still be as funny? My only point from the beginning was that we all have folks that have screwed up in the jet. He won't learn anything by being ridiculed for the rest of his career. I think Zrooster shacked it. We haven't had any issues dodging potholes in Q-West :M16a2:

Again, nice job of trying to sell out a crew that did nothing wrong. The pothole wasn't NOTAM'ed and the crew did what they should have. As a former HERC guy, I'd think you would have know that, but apparently the transition to Barney has removed the part of your brain that uses common sense.

• Upvote 3

I'm all for bagging on them for a mistake he made. However, what I'm not all for is you throwing crews under the bus where people were killed. That's a totally different scenario, and you're a douche for even bringing up Jackson Hole. People died on those missions and you're an ass for even comparing a gear up landing to an airplane that was destroyed and killed most/if not all aboard.

I think the point is just because people didn't die on the OAIX incident doesn't mean those guys should be made fun of every opportunity, while the WY incident is taboo because people died. Pilot error is pilot error, consequences notwithstanding.

I think the point is just because people didn't die on the OAIX incident doesn't mean those guys should be made fun of every opportunity, while the WY incident is taboo because people died. Pilot error is pilot error, consequences notwithstanding.

Disagree. It's like when we were kids, you could crack Mom jokes on all your friends, except for that one kid whose Mom died. You couldn't crack Mom jokes with him.

Crew makes bonehead mistake and dies = you get to listen to the CVR tapes in you CRM refresher, but no jokes.

Crew makes bonehead mistake and lives = ridicule will follow until someone else makes a bigger mistake.

• Upvote 1

Well, I guess I better surrender my ATP certificate considering I am in violation of just about every one of rotorhead's radio gaff criterion. However, you haven't lived until you have given the whole passenger announcement for descent or departure over the radio...Yup, I've done it and been unmerciful when another airline crew does it! As professional as the military is, sometimes it's borderline annoying listening to them on VHF because they sound like rookies trying to pick-up an IFR departure after abusing the runway with touch and goes at a civilian airport...

Fly safe, come home dry...

ex-Navy Rotorhead turned Slaab driver

Disagree. It's like when we were kids, you could crack Mom jokes on all your friends, except for that one kid whose Mom died. You couldn't crack Mom jokes with him.

Crew makes bonehead mistake and dies = you get to listen to the CVR tapes in you CRM refresher, but no jokes.

Crew makes bonehead mistake and lives = ridicule will follow until someone else makes a bigger mistake.

I had an old Master Chief that was from Wisconsin and he told me that only four things mattered; Beer, Brats, Broads and Bowling...Not in that order of course! Are you from Wisconsin? LOL