CV-22 Osprey info

Tex

Big crock of shit. Billions lost and a couple lives waste. Tell that to the birds.

A newly designed C-46 would have cost less, achieved desired payload/speed and gotten to the troops faster. USMC's fantasy with futuristic ideas beat me. The Navy did something similar to the F/A-18 and had a brand new and highly capable aircraft in no time.

Lives:* Clearly you haven't been in a Phrog. Read the reports and check the crash stats since 2000.

Money: see lives...what's yours worth?

* I assume you meant CH.

Edited by Standby

Guest CAVEMAN

Lives:* Clearly you haven't been in a Phrog. Read the reports and check the crash stats since 2000.

Money: see lives...what's yours worth?

* I assume you meant CH.

Actually I have, more than I care to count, so what is your point?

Like any airframe that is nearing retirement, they(services) stop spending money on them for upgrades. If that is what you are inferring, then it holds true for most airframes and across services.

Would have been tough getting them on LHC's though.

BatCommando.jpg

Not if it was done properly. CH-53E's are much bigger than CH-46's and they land on the LHD/LHA's just as fine.

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Has anyone heard of T-6 FAIPs heading over to CV-22s? I was just trying to get some info, chances of ending up at Cannon/ deployment schedules/ flight time/ anything useful. And does CV-22 time make it hard to get a civilian job since you are not logging fixed or rotor time?

And does CV-22 time make it hard to get a civilian job since you are not logging fixed or rotor time?

Idle curiosity only: what type of time does one log, from the FAA's point of view, when flying a tilt-rotor? I would have assumed rotory-wing, but your post indicates otherwise...?

Wow. Same category as the guy with the parachute & a big fan strapped to his back? Sounds like a disconnect to me....

No...same category as Harrier.

You have to have the capability to land vertically under the powered lift rating. Don't think any ultralights or paragliders land vertically, intentionally.

Edited by Gravedigger

No...same category as Harrier.

You have to have the capability to land vertically under the powered lift rating. Don't think any ultralights or paragliders land vertically, intentionally.

Ah--that's my confusion. I thought powered lift refered to (what's properly called) powered parachute. Google is my friend; thanks for setting me straight.

I've been hearing rumors the 8th is going to be split between Mildenhall and a future PACAF squadron...have you heard anything like that?

All CV-22 squadrons will likely sacrifice some personnel to take over the 7th SOS at Mildenhall. Additionally, pipeline studs are heading that way. As far as the PACAF squadron, plans to standup are for 2014. Beyond that, I haven't heard anything.

Has anyone heard of a fixed wing pilot going to CV-22s then over to helos? And does it help to fly Ospreys if fixed wing guys are looking to fly HH60s for the guard or fly civilian helos?

I know plenty of fixed-wing guys that have come over to the V-22. I have some experience with the HH-60 community and am still new to the V-22 community, but don't know of anybody that's gone from V-22s to HH-60s. Very little experience with the UH-1N community.

The V-22 community is very small and still relatively young. Few people have come this way and fewer still have left (for other communities or civilian life). A lot of the initial cadre is still running around.

What I will say is that the Osprey is probably not your best (certainly not your easiest) avenue to another AF rotary wing asset, be it AD, ANG or AFRC. Remember, you'll be spending a year TDY to New River and Kirtland to go through two "fairly challenging" FTUs. Then you'll go to an active unit just to do MQT and then be part of an AFSOC unit that goes TDY/deploys at least as often as anybody else. Not to mention the ADSC that you'll incur for training. Of course, once you leave the V-22, you'll have to go through the FTU for whatever helo you go to.

All of the above is predicated on three assumptions: 1) That you're accepted into V-22s. 2) That you're allowed to leave V-22s at some point (if staying AD). 3) That you're accepted into another rotary-wing community.

Doesn't seem like the simplest or most likely way to get into helicopters.

If your desired end-state is to get into an ANG/AFRC unit then I would say V-22 time will do you no more good (and possibly less) than the fixed-wing time that you're already accruing. My advice would be to be a shit-hot pilot, upgrade quickly and get lots of experience in the airframe you're already in. Then, when the time comes to get off AD scout out your prospects for ANG/AFRC units. Anybody disagree?

Then you'll go to an active unit just to do MQT and then be part of an AFSOC unit that goes TDY/deploys at least as often as anybody else. ............. Anybody disagree?

I think overall, that was some really excellent advice. But do you really think they deploy & go TDY as much as other SOF assets?

Has anyone heard of a fixed wing pilot going to CV-22s then over to helos? And does it help to fly Ospreys if fixed wing guys are looking to fly HH60s for the guard or fly civilian helos?

The CV-22 community has neither the resources, the time, the inclination, or the demeanor to play stepping stone for you. Its a serious airplane flown by serious people. Go elsewhere.

The CV-22 community has neither the resources, the time, the inclination, or the demeanor to play stepping stone for you. Its a serious airplane flown by serious people. Go elsewhere.

Unlike all those clown-show communities that just go out when the WX is good and fly some acro in the MOA, ya know, for fun :banghead:

Seriously...get over yourself.