Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Deborah Lee James changed the boards so that the "best" packages get promoted regardless of year group

. Thus lowering the effective promotion rate of the ITZ year group

bord is no longer allowed to discriminate based on year group

Enjoy it while it lasts

13 hours ago, Craftsman said:

So if you were just passed over on this board (07) year group, you are f'd as the (08) board meets in march so nothing will change in your prf but your meeting your above the line in 6 months. Does this check? That is now an even more f'd system. The same will go for the (08) guys meet in march 2017 if you are passed over you will go into the (09) which will meet 6-9 months later in dec of 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

So yeah that's also the crazy aspect of this scenario. For my situation assuming I get continued (haven't seen the letter yet) I don't even have to decide to continue  until after the accounting date and my old unit is looking for my next PRF!  As for the first board guys the same situation happened to me in Jan this year with the board release and the next board 5 months later. You essentially have 1 board unless your leadership sets you up right. In my case the board failed to see yes I didn't fit the mold of progression but I went back to fill a position you needed and I am building back up. Total oversight on big blue's part.  Bottom line is if I stayed a WSO I would probably be a major but since I changed and helped you out I am looked down upon. This is the flaw of the central boards and lack of checks and balances. If the AF were a major corporation like the airlines and our leadership had a stake (stocks) in how well it performed (profits) they would think twice about this. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Duck said:

I think the last 2 boards have been like 20-28% promotion rate for ABZ!!!

33 minutes ago, pawnman said:

That rated manning crisis is really helping some folks.

I recently worked with the spouse of a rated Air Force O-5 who made O-6 ABZ. They had accepted that his career was over and were making serious retirement plans. They just did a PCS on the way to finish the 3 years he'll need to retire as an O-6. To say they were surprised is putting it mildly. Their guess was  that somebody on the board who knew him said WTF.  

Edited by fire4effect

So what's the best (non self destructive) way of not getting offered continuation/getting IVSP? 
If we go Guard/Reserve, will we have to pay back the IVSP (out of retirement?)
Expected/planned passed over IPZ - knew what the game was and decided not to play it. Thankful for the experience but excited to start the next chapter. 

As an 11X? Not going to happen. 11X are considered critical career fields for the continuation board. Every 11X should expect to be continued to the max limit: 20 for Capt; 24 for Maj; 28 for Lt Col. At least for the short term.

I've heard from reputable sources that the stars are genuinely worried about the pilot retention problem.

19 hours ago, bennynova said:

Deborah Lee James changed the boards so that the "best" packages get promoted regardless of year group

. Thus lowering the effective promotion rate of the ITZ year group

bord is no longer allowed to discriminate based on year group

Enjoy it while it lasts

Although, this helped two of our guys (both good dudes who should've made it before) make it one above this year.  Having two boards in a calendar year tells me we're hurting for majors, so IMHO this isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

On 10/7/2016 at 5:47 AM, Craftsman said:

So if you were just passed over on this board (07) year group, you are f'd as the (08) board meets in march so nothing will change in your prf but your meeting your above the line in 6 months. Does this check? That is now an even more f'd system. The same will go for the (08) guys meet in march 2017 if you are passed over you will go into the (09) which will meet 6-9 months later in dec of 17.

Craftsman,

Check the PSDM announcing the next cycle's schedule. I'm off the .mil this week, but recall a paragraph that addressed your situation. In addition to the Commander's MFR, those who lacked an interim OPR or Training Report had a way to add to their PRF. At any rate, check MyPers. All the best, SAS

According to the promotion stats on mypers those are significantly lower than previous boards. Last years board was 92.7% IPZ, 91.8% in 2014. In fact the last time it was that low was 1998 at 82.6%. This has got to be a typo. My guess is it was 94.6%.

Is the spreadsheet with these numbers in it not out yet?

i think it's an effective 84.6 rate for the IPZ guys

there was probably a larger % of APZ than in past years being that this was the 2nd year the board didn't care what zone you were in

Last year would have been higher, but no one knew to submit filled out prfs

21 hours ago, Disco_Nav963 said:

Wait a tick... Dudes that are twice passed-over and given still continuation still have to do PRFs? I had no idea. Glad they're not going into the shredder for these dudes.

They used to do all the paperwork exercise associated with a PRF, only to have them turned in blank.  Then they get to go with the guys meeting the board for the first time and get the blank PRF handed back to them by the WG/CC anyway.  Huge waste of time and effort for everyone involved.

11 hours ago, Duck said:

I checked mypers promotion stats today and the last one posted was last year. The overall # of pilots promoted was less than last years I noticed.

I wonder if that's because so many bailed prior to the board, or were using other gamesmanship to get passed over and get out.