Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Matmacwc: you answered your own question quite well. I'll elaborate: FOTR/BENT dudes stop flying. They don't stop working. Because they're BENT, they DON'T get strats or job titles that lead to strats. Wing exec still flies. Chief of tactics flies...because if THOSE guys decline the bonus, they stop working those jobs, and go help XP plan the next ORI.

How is that a good idea? I know if I got stuck in a position like that, I wouldn't have much motivation to work very hard. So yes, I may not "stop working," but it's 8 hour days, lots of time in the gym, long lunch, etc... I don't think I would want that kind of worker preparing the squadron/wing for the next ORI.

Matmacwc: you answered your own question quite well. I'll elaborate: FOTR/BENT dudes stop flying. They don't stop working. Because they're BENT, they DON'T get strats or job titles that lead to strats. Wing exec still flies. Chief of tactics flies...because if THOSE guys decline the bonus, they stop working those jobs, and go help XP plan the next ORI.

Man, WTF? So, after continuous force shaping the AF is basically pulling mafia techniques to force people to stay in (via ADSC incurred from the bonus)........."you can have the option to leave, but you will hate life while you don't......muwah ha ha ha ha.........." Shit.

edit: ^ in the case FOTR was implemented

Edited by Recut

Calm down fellas...I didn't say FOTR/BENT was a reality now...but it has been used in the past. Think about it: are we going to see increases in flying hours? More $$ in the budgets? I doubt it. What we WILL likely see is same/fewer flight hours for fewer guys to fly. So bonus-takers will be seen as "company men" and "rewarded" with continued flying, schools, assignments, etc. BENT guys will be reassigned to non-flying positions, PCS to staff, etc, and will have to earn their way back to flying thru good timing or outlasting the rules...

To be clear: if crew ratios change (ex: wing PAA of 24... 2.0 ratio (48 line pilots) to 1.5 (36 pilots) in C-17 world = 12 pilots who don't need to fly anymore, and no UMD positions to put them in either)...so the wing will prioritize bonus takers over BENT.

I suppose they could send all BENT to RPAs.

Devils advocate could say they will send the bonus signers to RPAs because those dudes can't opt out. Why send a free agent to a bad deal when they can punch and you burn several 11Fs just to get one taker? They can send one dude with a 7-year bonus commitment to the bad deal and get two full assignments out of him. That's what scares me.

• Upvote 1

Devils advocate could say they will send the bonus signers to RPAs because those dudes can't opt out. Why send a free agent to a bad deal when they can punch and you burn several 11Fs just to get one taker? They can send one dude with a 7-year bonus commitment to the bad deal and get two full assignments out of him. That's what scares me.

While I initially thought what you describe above was completely plausible and scary as shit, I then realized that Big Blue NEEDS dudes to take the bonus. We all know that the only way AFPC can make an attempt to manage the rated force is by using the bonus as a crutch. If they started handing shit sandwiches to those who signed up for a few more years, then no one would sign up.

-9-

• Upvote 1

Talked to more folks "in leadership positions" here at Randolph. Expected to release "very soon" -- amounts and years are all going up.

Again, was told by another source (i.e AFPC dude) that a 7 yr, 35K bonus is expected along with the 5 yr @ 25K....I obviously am holding out hope to the rumors, and expect this to be completely inaccurate.

EDIT - there was no talk of it being re-named, we all just said "the bonus" and it was understood what we were talking about.

We'll see....

Wonder if they are gonna offer the 50% up front this time. That would be a decent chunk of change for the 7 yr option

For you folks that have signed a bonus in the past, I'm curious as to the mechanics of the previous ACP... If you signed the 5 yr bonus and then 4 years later you hit your 20 yr mark, can you decline to take the last year's $25k check and bail from the USAF instead? ( I understand that is not what the USAF intended, I'm just curious as to how the previous years contracts were structured and what if any "outs" were there. )

You would not have been eligible for the current 5-year, as it would have taken you past 16.5 years.

That is only pertains to the uncommited eligible. I fall into the same boat and the only bonus I can take is the initial 5 year which will take me out to 22 years TAFMS.

Slides directly from the ACP website for FY12.

post-6663-0-96793400-1370805343_thumb.pn

post-6663-0-68446700-1370805353_thumb.pn

post-6663-0-34137900-1370805361_thumb.pn

Edited by Fifty-six & Two
  • Upvote 1

For you folks that have signed a bonus in the past, I'm curious as to the mechanics of the previous ACP... If you signed the 5 yr bonus and then 4 years later you hit your 20 yr mark, can you decline to take the last year's $25k check and bail from the USAF instead? ( I understand that is not what the USAF intended, I'm just curious as to how the previous years contracts were structured and what if any "outs" were there. )

Don't have your answer - just speculation. Seems the AF doesn't care about the $ too much; it's just a means to get you into another ADSC. I'd bet they wouldn't let you out of the ADSC because the ADSC is more valuable to them than the money.

Edited by Recut
  • Upvote 1

You know, I used to think this was getting held up by sequester, but I'm starting to think its held up because its an overhaul of the system (name change from ACP to ARI and mass-exodus in certain MWSs even with an ACP). I know it's all speculation, but that's what forums are for.

Slides directly from the ACP website for FY12.

wait, so the FY12 ACP only applied for those whose commitment was up in FY12? So since my Pilot Training ADSC is Nov 13, I won't be eligible for the FY13 ACP (or whatever it's going to be called)? Well, that makes choices interesting...

wait, so the FY12 ACP only applied for those whose commitment was up in FY12? So since my Pilot Training ADSC is Nov 13, I won't be eligible for the FY13 ACP (or whatever it's going to be called)? Well, that makes choices interesting...

Correct. You'll fall under the FY14 ACP.

According to "Bob" in the bonus office (I don't know what to call it anymore), the FY13 "ARP" was approved 07-Jun-13. They are in the 2-week "implementation phase" now and expect the release date to be "on or about" 25-Jun-13. I'm still not going to hold my breath.

Edited by 11F
  • Upvote 1

According to "Bob" in the bonus office (I don't know what to call it anymore), the FY13 "ARP" was approved 07-Jun-13. They are in the 2-week "implementation phase" now and expect the release date to be "on or about" 25-Jun-13. I'm still not going to hold my breath.

I'm cautiously optimistic that the $35k for 7 yrs rumor is true...seems like an OG at KRND might indeed leak that to his fence-sitters. Plus it happened just before it was signed Friday and he's collocated with his bros at AFPC...this could get very interesting.