1970's SCI FI TV

ClearedHot

I had COVID a while back and was laid up for a few days doing nothing but watching TV.  Knowing that we have threads on what music to listen to after a few drinks and flying videos I thought I would share another way to pass the time that should be educational for all you SNAPs out there.

Us old dudes didn't have the internet so we got our military SCI FI fix from a multitude of TV shows, thanks to YouTube many of them are available free for your viewing pleasure.  A few of my favorites follow:

UFO - You gotta watch this one, the story lines will crack you up, a moon base, submarine-launched rocket-powered fighter jets, and the girls all wear skin tight outfits.

Voyage to the bottom of the Sea - Another sub-launched flying vehicle, this time a flying saucer.

Space 1999 - Everyone wants a moon base!

Batman the TV series - Pow - Boom - KaBlam! available free on Amazon Prime.

MV5BOWUzNzI4NWMtNTkzMy00N2I3LTllZDAtZGVh

I know there are others...what a blast to my childhood!

• Upvote 1

The same people who made UFO went on to make Space: 1999.  They do look pretty similar generally speaking.  BTW, they also made the marionette series The Thunderbirds in the 60's.  Talk about some seriously intricate modeling.  Same kind of marionettes used in the Team America movie.

Man, where to start.

I loved Thunderbirds.  My son now owns all the movies on DVD.

Battlestar Galatica with OG Cylons (although I also enjoyed the reboot... who wouldn't want to be haunted by Tricia Helfer, aka Six); Buck Rogers was fun too.  We had Capt Kirk and damn dirty apes.

The Black Hole (Disney flick if you can believe it) had a menacing killer robot and a lobotomized crew of a madman.  Alien I think is a 70s film.

On the animation side there was G Force and The Hobbit.

Then the wacky stuff like Death Race 2000, the short film Hardware Wars with Ham Salad, And Rollerball!  Now stand for the Corporate Hymn.

• Upvote 1

No exactly the 70’s but…

Kick back in my layover hotel, flipping through channels and run across War Games.  Just happened on the movie in what I think might be the most technically realistic moment.

Hear me out:

NORAD Command Center is going apeshit thinking we’re under attack, camera centered on the 4-star.

Mind you, dress blues, so there’s no visible WIC patch, but he pulls a bag of Red Man out and stuffs a massive wad into his lip as he commences barking orders.

yeah, that checks

My favorite 70’s movie as a child and that I recently re-discovered is “Colossus: The Forbin Project”

A massive mainframe computer is built inside a mountain to take over decision making for launching nuclear weapons.

It discovers a similar computer in the USSR and makes contact. They jointly take over the world. 
The movie has a “Andromeda Strain” tech-thriller quality to it. 

Some of us grew up in EUCOM, so before AFN there was SEB (serving Europe’s best).

When I tell people what shows we were watching as kids, people assume we were forced to by our parents. Like no…. Adam West Batman and F troop were all that was on. Also Thursday night was designated black tv show night so you got to watch Sanford and Son and Amen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lawman said:

Some of us grew up in EUCOM, so before AFN there was SEB (serving Europe’s best).

When I tell people what shows we were watching as kids, people assume we were forced to by our parents. Like no…. Adam West Batman and F troop were all that was on. Also Thursday night was designated black tv show night so you got to watch Sanford and Son and Amen.

When at Incirlik in 80s my Gpa. sent American kid shows' on VHS.  Like no SEB/AFN commercials!  A Godsend, and now more than then I appreciate his time spent for us. 

And, oh yeah, like AFN still says, don't shake your baby. 

• Like 1

When at Incirlik in 80s my Gpa. sent American kid shows' on VHS.  Like no SEB/AFN commercials!  A Godsend, and now more than then I appreciate his time spent for us. 
And, oh yeah, like AFN still says, don't shake your baby. 

Yeah my grandparents had HBO and would mail tapes every couple months.

Also like the commercial says, OPSEC is like the bricks in a building … you can beat a hobo to death with them or something or other.