Civil War

gearhog

Saw a trailer for this movie this morning. It's apparently getting people pretty riled up. We had just watched "Leave the World Behind" a couple nights ago. There were some thought-provoking concepts, but the movie sucked ass.

Dystopian and disaster flicks are nothing new, but it's unsettling to see these plots and storylines using current events, then pulling on what seems to be a short thread. The movie plans to fill people's heads with this stuff next Spring as the election heats up.  Just curious as to others thoughts. Think it'll be good?

People are dumb.  They will probably think this is real.  

My bet is if there was to be another civil war, the wokeness would be gone pretty fast.  Bullets don't care about racism and gay sex education. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gearhog said:

We had just watched "Leave the World Behind" a couple nights ago. There were some thought-provoking concepts, but the movie sucked ass.

Boy, the amount of boxes ticked for current events in this movie was commendable.  The plot had so many holes though and the incessant ominous background music playing was terrible.  

• Like 1

Will hold judgement on the movie until it comes out, but that trailer didn't look promising.

Supposedly it's A24's first foray into making big budget action/adventure movies, after long being more of an "art house" outfit.  Which, is great and all, and I sure love me some good dystopian action flicks.

However, the trailer made it look like another "Don't Look Up."  Like, it will have some "Progressive Left Good, Everything Else Bad" message that it'll continually beat you over the head with.

And, even if you can set aside the politics of it all, underneath will be a mediocre movie.  I'm amazed at the movies that get fielded with lazy plot holes, weird subplots that go nowhere, and just kinda crappy storytelling.  I used to love going to the movies, because even an average movie could hold your attention for a couple hours.  But so many recent big name flicks have been such crappy movies.

Civil War looked like it was headed that way, based on the trailer.

Red counties vs blue counties

The divide is cultural, economic and regional
My two cents our future is still together but as mostly autonomous regions with internal but passable borders, sovereign states should be able to exclude ordinary citizens and legal residents for legitimate reasons, not the movement / presence of government officials for legal reasons. Persons not lawfully present in the USA should be and I think can be legally excluded / removed from a theoretically sovereign state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Danger41 said:

California and Texas alliance? That’s one hell of a fantastical leap!

Probably a smart plot device actually to not make it an easy red vs blue thing.

I think it’s obviously a movie about how amazing Texas is at having to rescue California. Obviously the state with an unending amount of firearms is going to have to lend some support to the West Coast as they’ve been slowly bled of their constitutional right to bear arms and were in the early stages of being overrun until Texas supplied them with an influx of arms via Mexico (the border is way, way open in this film). Really, now that I think about it, this is a movie about the second forming of an independent Texas nation, and they view California as an easy land grab for the natural resources. It makes way too much sense. /s

On 12/14/2023 at 10:53 AM, herkbum said:

believe the Obamas were financial backers of “Leave the World Behind”

Big Mike likes to make movies.  He makes Barry do all the gay stuff.  

• Haha 3