U.S. Military Aircraft down in Med

B52gator

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/us-military-aircraft-crashes-mediterranean-sea-after-training-mishap-no-indication-hostile-activity

Interesting that they haven’t even released which aircraft it was. They usually get that info out fast. Is it me or is the military being “tight lipped” a little out of the ordinary? Anybody have unclass intel on this?

160th SOAR crew, damnit. 🥃

Alert delivered on Sun Nov 12 2023 13:26:17 GMT-0700 (Mountain Standard Time):

Caption: Five US Army Special Operations members conducting contingency planning for Israel-Hamas war killed in MH-60 helicopter crash while refueling off coast of Cyprus: News Outlet via New York Times.

Link: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/12/us/politics/us-service-members-killed-crash.html?smid=tw-share

Link to alert in First Alert: https://firstalert.dataminr.com/#alertDetail/6/9706056948404626584-1699820616955-1

Edited by McJay Pilot
Bad link

18 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Your link is bad and might not be the SOAR.  The NYTimes article says MH-60 and special forces but the U.S. Navy operates a small fleet of MH-60R/S helos that support ASW and SOF.

Regardless, a sad day. 

Tracking the Navy also has MH-60’s that do SOF support, but they don’t do HAAR and all the links said it was during an air refueling event.

You hit the nail on the head with the last line though brother. I was selfishly hoping there’d be minimal chance I knew those involved. Not great odds now.

16 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

And... let the speculation begin.  

How long should we wait?  

I'm super impressed they were able to recover the entire crew so fast.  Sister ship was on point or there was a ship right there at the time.  Water recovery at night like that is impressive.  

Edited by uhhello
  • Like 1

RIP. 🍺 

- Chief Warrant Officer 3 Stephen R. Dwyer, 38, of Clarksville, Tennessee

-Chief Warrant Officer 2 Shane M. Barnes, 34, of Sacramento, California.

-Staff Sergeant Tanner W. Grone, 26, of Gorham, New Hampshire.

-Sergeant Andrew P. Southard, 27, of Apache Junction, Arizona.

-Sergeant Cade M. Wolfe, 24, of Mankato, Minnesota.

image.thumb.png.54d9b657e600f0cf995cdeeba98da4dd.png

• Like 22

On 11/12/2023 at 5:02 PM, uhhello said:

I'm super impressed they were able to recover the entire crew so fast.  Sister ship was on point or there was a ship right there at the time.  Water recovery at night like that is impressive.  

I doubt they did yet, at least not all of them. I hope more data gets made public as there's a super brave dude on sister ship.