Guard fighter squadrons being reduced!?

wikz

Okay, Thank God. Aren't they trying to reduce the number of fighter squadrons or did they come to a consensus on a minimum of 25?

For the A-10 and and F-15 C/D models being retired and replaced, the pilots would be cross trained into different aircraft (F-35, F-16 AND MQ-9s), correct?

The rumor that I have heard for years in the Guard and while at the Puzzle Palace was that Big Blue wanted / was scheming to shrink the Guard to one maybe two wings per state and grow the Reserves.

This is like the big conspiracy in the X files, slow moving and decades in the making but I wonder if this bill was a preemptive act to acquired RUMINT of coming proposed Guard divestments.  

50 minutes ago, wikz said:

For the A-10 and and F-15 C/D models being retired and replaced, the pilots would be cross trained into different aircraft (F-35, F-16 AND MQ-9s), correct?

Yep. Already multiple “swaps” publicly released. Several F-15 units to F-35 and EX, multiple F-16 to F-35, A-10 to F-16, additional F-35 standing up at Ft Smith, etc. Now will it all actually play out as it currently sits on paper, only time will tell.  

NGAD in the ANG any time in the next 15 years? Low Pk in my opinion, but we’ll see. 

Edited by brabus
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

My question is the problem with retiring the f-22. With the NGAD not being in the Guard like you said for probably another 15+ years, ( I know no one can answer what the replacement will be) is it really gonna make a favorable impact to replace f-22's with probably something like the f-35, EX, f-16 etc. "We can't afford to keep upgrading our most capable and feared aircraft so were gonna take a step back and switch em out for X-XX which may be the same gen fighter but it doesn't have the power of the raptor." it just doesn't sit right with me (Im assuming this is their next move; I have no idea. please elaborate if I'm wrong). I thought their whole idea was "we want to be more superior in the air." I feel like any aircraft replacing the f-22 when were waiting for the NGAD would be demeaning to the Air Force.

Edited by wikz

My question is the problem with retiring the f-22. With the NGAD not being in the Guard like you said for probably another 15+ years, ( I know no one can answer what the replacement will be) is it really gonna make a favorable impact to replace f-22's with probably something like the f-35, EX, f-16 etc. "We can't afford to keep upgrading our most capable and feared aircraft so were gonna take a step back and switch em out for X-XX which may be the same gen fighter but it doesn't have the power of the raptor." it just doesn't sit right with me (Im assuming this is their next move; I have no idea. please elaborate if I'm wrong). I thought their whole idea was "we want to be more superior in the air." I feel like any aircraft replacing the f-22 when were waiting for the NGAD would be demeaning to the Air Force.

Not to demean but have you ever been briefed on Raptor, F-15EX, F-35 capes to actually know the hierarchy and comparison of what jets are most capable and should be “feared” in missions sets?

I find a lot of fanboys talk of the A-10 and F-22 among others and don’t know anything outside airshow hype.

And I wouldn’t expect NGAD in the guard in the next 15+ years if ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

no offense taken. your totally right; with all due respect, I don't know much about the capabilities hence " please elaborate if I'm wrong."

Im sure every aircraft has its pros like the f-35 being stealthier than the f-22 or vice versa the f-22 being faster and more agile. I haven't dug too deep into the capabilities and which aircraft is better, but I am glad you brought this up because I am now interested in learning about it.

like you said it depends on the mission. for example if we want to be better than china in the air, the f-22 is our best bet for A-A combat. but if you look at the bigger picture the f-35 does carry more mission sets than A-A making it a more fine choice. 

I wouldn't say I am a fanboy of any F, but ig I am drawn to the f-22 because it is my home units aircraft. to be honest they all have the same level of badass (maybe not so much the 15, sorry boys haha). 

I am sure you know way more than me so Im curious on your take about the replacement for the raptor. do you think switching to the 35, EX etc. is better in the long run?

I get the curiosity, but this is the internet and you should not expect anyone who actually knows anything about these aircraft or missions to give the types of responses you’re hoping for (this also serves as a reminder to the bros out there). If you ever make it to any of these, you’ll love whichever it is and learn to appreciate the strengths of the others. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

That’s the secret you don’t really get until later in your career…you can’t do it by yourself. And every community needs studs so don’t think because someone is flying a Viper or Tanker instead of a Raptor that they are less than.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Danger41 said:

That’s the secret you don’t really get until later in your career…you can’t do it by yourself. And every community needs studs so don’t think because someone is flying a Viper or Tanker instead of a Raptor that they are less than.

Also remember, helicopters are gay.  Stay away from them.  Lol  

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...

That block of jets being retired has become so different over the years that they are basically a logistics anchor on the entire fleet. And bringing them up to the rest of the fleet is cost prohibitive so something’s gotta give.

6 hours ago, Danger41 said:

That block of jets being retired has become so different over the years that they are basically a logistics anchor on the entire fleet. And bringing them up to the rest of the fleet is cost prohibitive so something’s gotta give.

Thread derailing question but could this block get modified to primarily focused on a different mission set?  LO Weasels? 

They have utility. Personally I’d choose going to combat in a B20 raptor over a viper 10 times out of 10.

But as to upgrading, no. That would cost too much money from big Lockheed.

3 hours ago, archer said:

They have utility. 

I certainly hope so. Throwing away $10B in jets of that caliber does not pass the sniff check. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They just reactivated one of the Aggressor squadrons with early block F-35s, IIRC. Might as well throw in the early block Raptors to that bag and have all kind of LO mischief and mayhem reeked upon poor WUGs and RF Msn/CCs

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

probably a stupid question; I understand that they have to upgrade 4th gens to keep them in the game, but why spend so much money upgrading something that already has air superiority?

1 hour ago, ClearedHot said:

New NDAA does NOT retire the older block of Raptors.  As Huggy stated, does not pass the sniff test and there are other ways to keep these jets viable.

It's so funny the vocabulary the Air Force has instilled on us. Viable 🤣😂. As though somehow an F-22 of any configuration that can get airborne would not be viable when we're still flying C models around...

We are still flying C-models around, right? Or did Big Air Force bring back don't ask don't tell? I've been gone a while.

• Haha 1

That’s called an F-35

True but with performance advantages of the 22 if the money could be found / printed, I think the older variants would bring something the 35 can’t
Not trashing the 35

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk