E-11A crash in Afghanistan

pilot

Something is not adding up.  BACN usually hangs out in the bozosphere, way out of the reach of any RPG, SA-7, or rock that the Taliban can throw at it.  Also, this is not the wreckage of a plane that slammed down from thousands of feet in the air.  The fuselage is largely intact, and it almost looks like the fire started from inside given the burn patterns.

• Like 1

Daily Star (not the best source for news) has the crash 10km from "a US military base", so could have been during takeoff or landing, which would explain the condition of the airplane.  But, if that's the case, I would have hoped we could secure the crash site faster than the photos would suggest.

8 hours ago, BADFNZ said:

Something is not adding up.  BACN usually hangs out in the bozosphere, way out of the reach of any RPG, SA-7, or rock that the Taliban can throw at it.  Also, this is not the wreckage of a plane that slammed down from thousands of feet in the air.  The fuselage is largely intact, and it almost looks like the fire started from inside given the burn patterns.

Stop

All facts.....to which I have no idea why you are being told to not speculate/discuss and being shut down.

As long as you aren’t disrespectfully pointing fingers at individuals, placing blame and spreading rumors, some people seem to take the safety process “don’t talk about it” a little too seriously.

I for one think this shit should be front and center in the same care and manner people are talking about the Kobe crash.

People should care when service members die and planes clash and want to understand why and it should be discussed.

You guys don’t think that civilians aren’t armchairing this in other forums. I like hearing from other professional aviators.

What is to be gained by silence?

People died in a third world shithole flying a jet that nobody hardly knows or cares about and likely never will because we don’t talk about it for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 8

4 hours ago, jrobe said:

Stop

Stop what?  Is anything I said untrue?  I'm not speculating, I'm just saying something doesn't add up and I'll be damned if I'm going to take some Taliban reporter's account as truth.

18 minutes ago, di1630 said:

All facts.....to which I have no idea why you are being told to not speculate/discuss and being shut down.

As long as you aren’t disrespectfully pointing fingers at individuals, placing blame and spreading rumors, some people seem to take the safety process “don’t talk about it” a little too seriously.

I for one think this shit should be front and center in the same care and manner people are talking about the Kobe crash.

People should care when service members die and planes clash and want to understand why and it should be discussed.

You guys don’t think that civilians aren’t armchairing this in other forums. I like hearing from other professional aviators.

What is to be gained by silence?

People died in a third world shithole flying a jet that nobody hardly knows or cares about and likely never will because we don’t talk about it for some reason.

First, they haven’t released the names yet so there are probably plenty of people here with a vested interest in the form of friends over there. 

Second, I don’t give a shit if civilians are armchair QBing this. When NOK notifications are still going is probably not a great time to throw out random bullshit. You want to look at Twitter and draw your own conclusions? Go for it. You’re probably a semi-educated individual and can figure stuff out. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, BADFNZ said:

Stop what?  Is anything I said untrue?  I'm not speculating, I'm just saying something doesn't add up and I'll be damned if I'm going to take some Taliban reporter's account as truth.

No, you’re fucking speculating. Stop quibbling. 

• Downvote 1

WTF does names have to do with stating the obvious from the photos? Is that gonna change a GD thing if BADFNZ makes some factual observations about the photos in contrast as to what the news was reporting?

I’m with BADFNZ here and I think some of you guys are being over sensitive.

He’s not getting at anything personal, just disputing the Taliban CNN claim.

And he’s correct.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, di1630 said:

WTF does names have to do with stating the obvious from the photos? Is that gonna change a GD thing if BADFNZ makes some factual observations about the photos in contrast as to what the news was reporting?

I’m with BADFNZ here and I think some of you guys are being over sensitive.

He’s not getting at anything personal, just disputing the Taliban CNN claim.

And he’s correct.

Third, he made a $2 fine-able statement to say that he doesn’t trust the Taliban. No one here trusts the Taliban. 

ETA here 

Edited by SurelySerious

The only related fact I've seen is the that status of the crew has not been officially reported.  We shall see what the morning news cycle has to say.  

Unfortunately, the news cycle is just more Kobe. And before anyone here gets butthurt, I am saddened too by that crash and loss of life.

FWIW, I think it’s completely natural, as aviators, to want to know what happened and to discuss. It’s not arm chair QB-ing. For those that disagree...when you found out about this at work with your squadron bro’s, did you not discuss what you thought what could have caused this?

Still haven’t heard of their status, so I’m hoping for the best.
  • Upvote 1

Terrible and Godspeed to the warriors.  The last full measure.

Side note, speculating on names or revealing classified is obviously a no-no.  But discussing possible causes etc is not only fine, but probably a good thing so we can all learn about issues we might have never encountered.  As an example, i was discussing this with a friend who flew the civilian version, and he mentioned something about engines at high altitude i didn’t even know could be an issue. So whether that was a cause i don’t know but i did learn something.  If i would ever be in a fatal crash i would hope my brothers could learn something from it.  

the eager beavers of “stop” are just trying too hard to be the mature “been there done that” guys. When you have actually “been there done that” you see the value in dialogue.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 5