F1 Thread

N730

On 8/16/2020 at 9:59 AM, 17D_guy said:

Track seemed way too small, but I'm new.

This struck a chord, but had to check to ensure before I wrote anything:

If you think the Spanish track was small, wait until you see the Monaco race happen, hopefully next year..  Cancelled this year due to 'rona, it is amazing to me that they still conduct a Gran Prix in the absurdly narrow lanes and tight corners with the current wide cars.

Although the race itself tends to be boring, IMO, another cars in single file parade since there's almost nowhere to pass, the mere challenge of the course is neat to watch as there's literally inches on some corners for the drivers to get to the apex of a corner and make the next one.  Mistakes are common here.  That there aren't more is a testament to the precision these guys bring while go amazingly fast.

Qualifying is usually the best part due to the need for good starting position because of above reasons.  But that's also where the mistakes usually happen as well.

Edited to add:  Not to mention the course runs along the harbor so the number of gazillionaire yachts and accompanying world class honeys on display is pretty James Bond-cool.

Edited by brickhistory

On 8/10/2020 at 4:58 AM, SurelySerious said:

NASCAR is dumb, but the “boring” that brick talks about is a legit critique because F1 has the potential for much more strategy implications if they a) forced the teams to use softer tires so that two stop was a more probable thing (like this weekend where you get an unlikely bold strategy to work), or b) had different rules with respect to the aerodynamics so the wake wasn’t so huge that it’s a nearly static sport because no one can get close enough to pass (or afford to research the car to compete). 

Even F1 has figured out they need changes because they’re too static during races and have one team who has won everything for like 8 years; that’s the whole force behind the rule changes.  It’s sometimes brilliant right now, but it has the potential to be much better. 

Or you could get on the thread just to nay-say whatever brick says, which is as boring as NASCAR. 

Here's why it's not a legit critique; runs of dominance have been part of this sport for a while now. I'm sure people would talk about how boring Schumacher and Ferrari were during their dominant years. I remember people talking about Seb and Redbull being boring, too. If that is a dealbreaker, then like I said, this is not the sport for you. Formula 2 uses spec cars, so does IndyCar. Try them, maybe. And it's fine to think it's boring, but we don't need to rehash that fact every single week. It's like complaining about people shooting too many 3's in the NBA. Complaint noted, let's move on.

And I'm not here to naysay brick, but we do have a lot of disagreements. If that bores you, then I'm sure you'll keep with tradition by complaining and then watching it anyway.

1 minute ago, joe1234 said:

Here's why it's not a legit critique; runs of dominance have been part of this sport for a while now. I'm sure people would talk about how boring Schumacher and Ferrari were during their dominant years. I remember people talking about Seb and Redbull being boring, too. If that is a dealbreaker, then like I said, this is not the sport for you. Formula 2 uses spec cars, so does IndyCar. Try them, maybe. And it's fine to think it's boring, but we don't need to rehash that fact every single week. It's like complaining about people shooting too many 3's in the NBA. Complaint noted, let's move on.

And I'm not here to naysay brick, but we do have a lot of disagreements. If that bores you, then I'm sure you'll keep with tradition by complaining and then watching it anyway.

Nah, Merc is factually boring. The midfield is fun. Get over it brah. 

Nah, just messing with you at that point. Even with Merc it’s interesting when Bottas is on vs inconsistent. And the driver variability is super interesting at Red Bull, although some of Albon’s confidence was probably destroyed both time he was top five and got bounced by Hamilton. I’ve enjoyed the McLaren/Renault/pink Merc. 

1 hour ago, busdriver said:

Not sure if it's still a requirement, but years ago the teams would run a different steering rack for Monaco.  The normal one didn't have enough angle to make some of the turns.

Some of the best video of that track is old school Senna qualifying.

It’s a few years old, but I finally got around to watching the Senna documentary on Netflix (I believe?) and it was well worth the 2 hours of runtime. Good insight into the transition that F1 went through during the late 80’s, early 90’s. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, brickhistory said:

If you think the Spanish track was small, wait until you see the Monaco race happen, hopefully next year..  Cancelled this year due to 'rona, it is amazing to me that they still conduct a Gran Prix in the absurdly narrow lanes and tight corners with the current wide cars.

Saw this on the Netflix show.  It was insane, but figured it was in for nostalgia/tradition sake.  Wasn't picking up the same vibes from this track.

2 hours ago, mp5g said:

It’s a few years old, but I finally got around to watching the Senna documentary on Netflix (I believe?) and it was well worth the 2 hours of runtime. Good insight into the transition that F1 went through during the late 80’s, early 90’s. 

Watched this with my daughter. Both loved it.

Did not know about the different steering rack for Monaco.  Makes sense, however.

As to "legit"critiques of the sport, I failed to get the memo that anyone else was responsible for my opinion.  Nice gig providing an approved viewpoint for everyone if you can get it, I guess.

And my view must be so outlandish that Liberty, you know the new-ish owners of F1, have determined that to keep the sport healthy and competitive, thus profitable, that the massive spending by one, maybe two teams, and the rest there for pretty show, isn't sustainable.  Thus the new regs and spending caps forthcoming.

This is not the same kind of dominance that Ferrari or Red Bull had. Mercedes has won something like 80% of races and 90% of poles in their run.

Red Bull was won just over 50% of races and had less than 70% of poles. In 2012, 7 different drivers across 5 different teams won the first 7 races.

Ferrari and Red Bull were superior. Mercedes is dominant.

Shit, Mercedes has more front row lockouts in 10 years than Ferrari does over 70.

Yes, boring races and the occasional boring season are normal, but this has been an extreme.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

• Upvote 4

Not a long time fan, but reading through the history and watching old races.  I can appreciate coming into this amazing dominant era of Mercedes...and agree that it makes the front boring.

Of course my NASCAR-loving friend says the same thing about dudes winning tons of races over there.

It seems like the commentary during the race had good coverage of the midfield? 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, joe1234 said:

Must have touched a nerve. I apologize.

Just not a fan of the "that's a stupid opinion" approach.

Argue a position and I can listen/even change my mind with the best of them.

Lecture me and I tune out.

But Hamilton did say it was boring now.  Both for fans and for him.  As did Verstappen.

I'm hoping tomorrow's race has something more than cars on parade.  Would love to see a McLaren podium.

Say what you will, but this race reminded me why Hamilton is who he is.  Accepting a 30ish second penalty and dead last and still being able to move himself back into 7th position was impressive and dare I say, fun to watch. I think it speaks to his skill that he was able to overcome 10 places while Bottas pretty much stayed in the same spot after the red flag penalty was imposed.   I thoroughly enjoyed the “shakeup” in this race and hope to see more unexpected outcomes as McLaren starts contending. 

• Upvote 2

Indeed.

That was a phenomenal performance going from easily first, to dead last due his team missing the call, to roaring back to 7th.  He got performance from his car and, due to his really remarkable skill while, as you note, Bottas couldn't seem to get it together with the same car.  I also commend Hamilton for accepting the responsibility for the missed call after he checked with the stewards.  Bold move to challenge them, but then very classy to admit, "Yep, you're right.  Valid call."

I was really hoping old man Kimi could make it happen but he got bounced by everybody and their brother very quickly while flogging that Ferrari-lite car.  I was then pulling for Sainz to make it to first, but good on Gasly.  Gotta be some tension at Red Bull and Albon being nervous.

Also, as noted above - Ferrari.  LOL.

• Upvote 1

Say what you will, but this race reminded me why Hamilton is who he is.  Accepting a 30ish second penalty and dead last and still being able to move himself back into 7th position was impressive and dare I say, fun to watch. I think it speaks to his skill that he was able to overcome 10 places while Bottas pretty much stayed in the same spot after the red flag penalty was imposed.   I thoroughly enjoyed the “shakeup” in this race and hope to see more unexpected outcomes as McLaren starts contending. 
He's incredible. I think it also puts Bottas and Rosberg into perspective too.

Bottas is reliable, but that's about it. And seeing stuff like this really makes me appreciate the fight Rosberg was able to give Hamilton.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

As much as I’d like to see Rossi driving for an American team, I think you’re right. He’s likely not interested in a mid-tier team with limited podium opportunities. It’s going to be interesting to see how F1 positions itself to remain relevant in the coming years. I wouldn’t be surprised if FormulaE eventually surpasses it in popularity. I have to say I was initially skeptical, but the FormulaE format has become fairly compelling over the last couple years. What I’d really like to see is F1 come up with a far less restrictive rules package.  Maybe say teams are limited to a 1.5 liter naturally aspirated power unit and anything else goes. Closed cockpits, active aero, shrouded wheels, etc. Other options to keep the speeds out of the stratosphere could be an outright HP limit or even a fuel limit. Can you get around Spa for 30 laps on say 30 gallons of fuel faster than your competitors? I think F1 is truly missing the mark when it comes to spurring innovation and providing an entertaining experience for fans. Much more imagination is needed.