F1 Thread

N730

Hamilton's got it, and will miss this weekend's race.  Can't wait to see the alternate dynamic.

Stoffel Vandoorne looks like the official replacement, but this is yet to be seen.  What fun if they could put George Russell in there just for this race.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12147781/lewis-hamilton-formula-one-champion-tests-positive-for-coronavirus

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-devastated-to-miss-sakhir-gp/4919327/?ic_source=home-page-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-22

Edited by GrndPndr
Slight emphasis added

6 hours ago, GrndPndr said:

Hamilton's got it, and will miss this weekend's race.  Can't wait to see the alternate dynamic.

Stoffel Vandoorne looks like the official replacement, but this is yet to be seen.  What fun if they could put George Russell in there just for this race.

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/12147781/lewis-hamilton-formula-one-champion-tests-positive-for-coronavirus

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamilton-devastated-to-miss-sakhir-gp/4919327/?ic_source=home-page-widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-22

Apparently they're asking about Russell's availability.  Also, you guys should check out https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/

It seems to avoid too much stupid drama in the main comments, and has really quick updates.  Right now there's a photo of the Haas survival cell on the front page.

• Upvote 1

Apparently they're asking about Russell's availability.  Also, you guys should check out https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/
It seems to avoid too much stupid drama in the main comments, and has really quick updates.  Right now there's a photo of the Haas survival cell on the front page.
It'd be incredible if Russell hopped in and won. He seems like a solid driver and a good dude.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Baseops Network mobile app

6 minutes ago, N730 said:

It'd be incredible if Russell hopped in and won. He seems like a solid driver and a good dude.

Everyone seems to think he’s just being hampered by the Williams, so would be interesting if he performed well in the Merc given the chance. 

What a race. Absolutely devastated for Russell, he did everything possible to win that and had every possible bit of bad luck.

Pitted and was given Bottas' tires, so he had to pit again after spending a lap behind the safety car. Fights back through and is quickly gaining on P1 and then has a puncture. I can't imagine his frustration and disappointment. He deserves a seat at a top team.

• Upvote 3

Did you guys see Grosjean's interview they aired before the race.  Pretty much a must-watch, hopefully it's on YouTube somewhere.  From a resiliency standpoint if nothing else!

Gutted for Russell.  I'm kinda hoping he gets a second crack at it next weekend.  Also, Vallteri has got some resilience after all his bad luck this year!  I feel sorry for him, especially since it looks like he'll be team-hopping after 2021.  Checo better get a ride, too.  I'm happy for Ocon but with Sainz had been able to find his way to the podium.

Is anyone else annoyed by Stroll?  Just me?

https://youtu.be/Xg9lb5rMVbA

Edited by stract
Added link

3 hours ago, Prozac said:

Agreed. Drove a hell of a race. Mercedes had an uncharacteristic clown show today. 

Ya, and Toto's gonna get a fine for telling the world it was a royal "fuck up" on TV lol.  But he's not wrong.

12 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

I was looking forward to another Russell drive in the Merc. I wonder if Bottas took any notice to how well he handled it?

If Bottas wasn't worried about his job before, he certainly is now (no proof, of course).  It's so hard to tell with him, he is Mr. "Nonplussed."

On 12/11/2020 at 6:30 AM, GrndPndr said:

If Bottas wasn't worried about his job before, he certainly is now (no proof, of course).  It's so hard to tell with him, he is Mr. "Nonplussed."

Didn't he just get a new contract?

8 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

Didn't he just get a new contract?

He did, but his role seems clearly to be “good enough to finish top 3 regularly, no unnecessary risk, doesn’t complain much” but doesn’t have a killer instinct. Essentially, he’s going to get round the track competitively because Merc has a capable car and he doesn’t cause friction with Lewis...but Merc isn’t going to keep him there forever when Russell has demonstrated equal ability. 

It's odd, to me, that no one has said 'It's the car,' when referring to Russell driving Lewis' car last week.  Not to take anything away from George, but he did essentially just step into Lewis' car and make it 'go' the same way Lewis does.

It would be an amusing turnabout to have Merc say goodbye to Lewis, and hire George.  You might say, well Lewis can go anywhere and win.  I say no.  Lewis would end up in a slower car, with another team, and be like Alonso - finishing every race in 4th or 5th or lower, and never capturing another title again.  

When was the last time we saw Lewis have to fight through the crowd to win (two seasons ago), and even that was again, in the superfast Merc.

Oh well, maybe my feelings are all hurt because Russell got several bad rolls of the dice.  Lewis' return on Sunday, really looked like the return of the same old boring.  At least Verstappen was able to convert everything for the win.   Or was it the car (Merc) again, not working properly as was claimed?

• Upvote 2

Lewis' return on Sunday, really looked like the return of the same old boring.  At least Verstappen was able to convert everything for the win.   Or was it the car (Merc) again, not working properly as was claimed?

To be fair Abu Dhabi is always extremely boring. Something like the last 6 or 7 years, the guy on pole won the race. It's not much different for second and third either.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, N730 said:

To be fair Abu Dhabi is always extremely boring. Something like the last 6 or 7 years, the guy on pole won the race. It's not much different for second and third either.

Same with Monaco (gasp, I said it).

George made Lewis' car fly, and that's a monumental achievement considering it wasn't built to his proportions.

• 2 months later...

Award for best looking F1 car this year goes to (envelope please):

Aston-Martin - love a British racing green car

Rebranded Aston Martin unveils 2021 F1 car

Runner-up (tie)

Alpine

F1 launch: Alpine presents new A521 Formula 1 car

Mercedes (very Darth Vader-ish as they stick with the fighting racism 'cuz it's black despite still being a "Silver Arrow, but whatever...)

image.jpeg.bdfa631591dc9a2fcee121ee8825c61e.jpeg

Worst is rebadged Hass which I refuse to post a pic.  Also might not last as they are really trying to skirt the "no Russian flag due to sports cheating" rule in place, but the billionaire Russian sponsor wants what he wants...

as an aside, I believe Kaepernik is still not been offered a spot on an F1 team or an NFL one...

Edited by brickhistory
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Disappointed with Haas as well - but to be fair there clearly wasn't any American companies willing to back them either - which is disappointing in and of itself. Overall, I would rather see them in the sport than not - this is a quick/temporary fix to get through 2021 and then hopefully 2022's new rule changes will bring a better/more competitive car. More points = more money and attracts more investment. That being said - hopefully Nikita Maz is a disaster in 2022 and then they can move on from their Russian influence.  They're playing the short game to be able to play the long game in the future.

Edited by mightymighty

Award for best looking F1 car this year goes to (envelope please):

Aston-Martin - love a British racing green car
formula-1-aston-martin-launch--6.jpg
Runner-up (tie)
Alpine
alpine-a521-1.jpg
Mercedes (very Darth Vader-ish as they stick with the fighting racism 'cuz it's black despite still being a "Silver Arrow, but whatever...)
image.jpeg.bdfa631591dc9a2fcee121ee8825c61e.jpeg

Worst is rebadged Hass which I refuse to post a pic.  Also might not last as they are really trying to skirt the "no Russian flag due to sports cheating" rule in place, but the billionaire Russian sponsor wants what he wants...

as an aside, I believe Kaepernik is still not been offered a spot on an F1 team or an NFL one...
100% agree. All three look great. Like you, I don't give a shit about the reasoning behind the Merc color choice, I just think the black looks awesome.

• Upvote 3