20th Air Force commander relieved of command

C17Driver

I worked for Carey at USSTRATCOM. He was a very open-minded guy that accepted ideas from others. He was nothing but a great leader to those of us in J3.

There's no telling what the IG was looking at on him, but Big Blue might be trying to catch up with the Navy's firing rate.

• 2 months later...

IG report is out, Some highlights:

The U.S. delegation arrived at a Marriott hotel in Moscow and met in an executive lounge. Carey reportedly had several beers and “again, started in on the very loud discussions about being in charge of the only operationally deployed force and saving the world.” He began saying the airmen in his command have the lowest morale of any in the Air Force.
That night, the group went to a restaurant for dinner. The restaurant, La Cantina, was suggested by Carey because he and another member of the delegation tried to go there the night before and “the General really wanted to see this Beatles cover band.” Carey reportedly tried to sing with the band, and asked if he could play the guitar.

• Upvote 1

IG report is out, Some highlights:

I don't know the General, but parts of the article/report read like a hatchet job on his reputation. There is no context.

* July 14: Carey flew from Dulles International Airport outside Washington, D.C., to Zurich, Switzerland, on his way to the meeting. During an extended layover, Carey was seen drinking and at one point “talked loudly about the importance of his position as commander of the only operational nuclear force in the world and that he saves the world from war every day,” according to witnesses. He may sound arrogant, but not breaking any regs.

* July 15: The U.S. delegation arrived at a Marriott hotel in Moscow and met in an executive lounge. Carey reportedly had several beers and “again, started in on the very loud discussions about being in charge of the only operationally deployed force and saving the world.” He began saying the airmen in his command have the lowest morale of any in the Air Force Again, sounds arrogant but are these not factual statements? And was he laughing about the low morale in his command?

That night, the group went to a restaurant for dinner. The restaurant, La Cantina, was suggested by Carey because he and another member of the delegation tried to go there the night before and “the General really wanted to see this Beatles cover band.” Carey reportedly tried to sing with the band, and asked if he could play the guitar. What's wrong with this scenario?

Back at the hotel, Carey had drinks in the lobby until approximately 4 a.m. with a lieutenant colonel and a woman who worked in the hotel’s cigar shop. Carey said that the “cigar sales lady’ spent most of the night with them and, “She was asking questions about physics and optics and I was like, dude, this doesn’t normally happen.” Carey turned in her business card to OSI when he returned, saying he had concerns about her intentions. He expressed his concerns to OSI, so what's the problem again? Did he disclose classified material?

I don't know the General, but parts of the article/report read like a hatchet job on his reputation. There is no context.

* July 14: Carey flew from Dulles International Airport outside Washington, D.C., to Zurich, Switzerland, on his way to the meeting. During an extended layover, Carey was seen drinking and at one point “talked loudly about the importance of his position as commander of the only operational nuclear force in the world and that he saves the world from war every day,” according to witnesses. He may sound arrogant, but not breaking any regs.

* July 15: The U.S. delegation arrived at a Marriott hotel in Moscow and met in an executive lounge. Carey reportedly had several beers and “again, started in on the very loud discussions about being in charge of the only operationally deployed force and saving the world.” He began saying the airmen in his command have the lowest morale of any in the Air Force Again, sounds arrogant but are these not factual statements? And was he laughing about the low morale in his command?

That night, the group went to a restaurant for dinner. The restaurant, La Cantina, was suggested by Carey because he and another member of the delegation tried to go there the night before and “the General really wanted to see this Beatles cover band.” Carey reportedly tried to sing with the band, and asked if he could play the guitar. What's wrong with this scenario?

Back at the hotel, Carey had drinks in the lobby until approximately 4 a.m. with a lieutenant colonel and a woman who worked in the hotel’s cigar shop. Carey said that the “cigar sales lady’ spent most of the night with them and, “She was asking questions about physics and optics and I was like, dude, this doesn’t normally happen.” Carey turned in her business card to OSI when he returned, saying he had concerns about her intentions. He expressed his concerns to OSI, so what's the problem again? Did he disclose classified material?

Sounds like a normal TDY to me...other than the physics and optics "geek" talk with the hot cigar chick. I'm just assuming she was hot because I don't know many dudes (who aren't crewchiefs) that would stay out till 4am with a "not-hot" Russian chick. (Don't get mad FCCs, you're still my boys!)

I wonder if the LtCol got cock blocked by the General with the Russian chick, got mad and then turned him in. Probably the more likely scenario is that someone on that staff who probably spent most of their career on staffs and in school, was on their first TDY out of the state of Alabama and they just didn't know that sometimes people drink and stay out until 4 (or 7) am before going to meetings the next day, and that it can be done effectively. Rookies....

That's 30 min I'm never getting back.

Sounds like a man with a drinking problem. Not to get too much into national stereotypes, but if Russians think your behavior while drinking is over the top....might be time to look in the mirror a bit.

• Upvote 3