FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

Just curious if any commanders on here (or anyone) can comment on how long it takes to process your VSP app to the next step. Mine has been sitting at the Wing/CC level for 4 days. Shouldn't it be a simple approve/disapprove click and forward to the next agency? Thanks.

Wouldn't that be great? Get retained by the RIF board and then immediately passed over for promotion…there'll have to be a few...

I'm an '03 guy, and thats exactly what happened in '11. The boards were less than 8 weeks apart if I remember correctly. We were notified 4 weeks after the RIF about our retention status, 6 months for the official promotion results.

And obviously, they haven't announced if the '06 promotion board is this year or next year.

I think they announced that via the board schedule for 2014 which does not include a board for the '06 group. Future year "estimated timelines" on the AFPC site show all Capt year groups pushed back a year for the O-4 board.

Back to topic - I still haven't got the RIF delay mail via my official chain or MPF, but plenty of buddies forwarding the info.

zb

I think they announced that via the board schedule for 2014 which does not include a board for the '06 group. Future year "estimated timelines" on the AFPC site show all Capt year groups pushed back a year for the O-4 board.

Back to topic - I still haven't got the RIF delay mail via my official chain or MPF, but plenty of buddies forwarding the info.

zb

The speed of the email's transmission seems tied to what MAJCOM you are in. There are two on my base, my unit received the email around 1400 EST. A friend of mine is a section commander working in the other MAJCOM, by COB today they did not have the email from AFPC.

I'm still confused why everyone keeps referring to PSDM 13-65. Is that not completely separate guidance from 13-130 and 14-08? 13-130 clearly says if you are eligible for the RIF, you are eligible to VSP. I guess they figured they needed to stop the flood from the open gates before it even had a chance to get started. Although it sucks for a lot of us, this may be the smartest thing I've seen the AF do to date.

I'm still confused why everyone keeps referring to PSDM 13-65. Is that not completely separate guidance from 13-130 and 14-08? 13-130 clearly says if you are eligible for the RIF, you are eligible to VSP. I guess they figured they needed to stop the flood from the open gates before it even had a chance to get started. Although it sucks for a lot of us, this may be the smartest thing I've seen the AF do to date.

Probably because 13-65 covers all FY14 voluntary separations. But I'm not in A1...I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Expect completely a completely new PSDM (or extensive rewrites) to replace 13-130 soon, just like what happened today with 13-131 (FSB).

Probably because 13-65 covers all FY14 voluntary separations. But I'm not in A1...I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Expect completely a completely new PSDM (or extensive rewrites) to replace 13-130 soon, just like what happened today with 13-131 (FSB).

What changed with 13-131 (FSB)?

Sorry, but the "sorting" should have occurred in the planning stage and not the "execution" stage.

True, but at least they're adapting and realizing holes or poor assumptions. That didn't happen in 2011. Good DCA doesn't happen on the first leaf ...the skill is in the skates and recommits.

^^^^This X1000^^^^^^

If I flew my jet the way they manage the force I'd kick my own ass. I sure as hell wouldn't expect to ever get the keys again. Need to reduce the force? I know where they can start! For the love of God, this is basic shit here. Boss is breathing down your neck? Too ing bad! Get it right. Period. This stuff is too important to keep screwing up. Its real lives. Its real wasted man-hours. And its stress that shouldn't have happened. We deserve better than a B team effort.

Assuming the RIF board meets in Oct, and if (a big IF) the timelines remain consistent with the artist formerly known as PSDM 13-130, then it looks like the pink slips from the RIF boards will arrive just in time for X-mas to go with a DOS sometime in Apr. I'll take a Pepsi challenge that the pink slip notifications get pushed back to Jan with a DOS NLT May because the board results will get delayed.

• Upvote 1

Assuming the RIF board meets in Oct, and if (a big IF) the timelines remain consistent with the artist formerly known as PSDM 13-130, then it looks like the pink slips from the RIF boards will arrive just in time for X-mas to go with a DOS sometime in Apr. I'll take a Pepsi challenge that the pink slip notifications get pushed back to Jan with a DOS NLT May because the board results will get delayed.

anyone reached out to the sport books in vegas; could you imagine the O/U potential in this debacle...amazing!

Checks. We got an email forward of the message from AFPC from our MPF folks right about the time it started to blow up on BODN today.

Man, I'd love to get any kind of email, or any kind of leadership at least telling me they've asked the questions and still don't have answers. Right now it's just eerily silent. I don't think I'd even know they were planning a RIF were it not for the one ADO who asked for a draft of my RRF.

• Upvote 1

Wait. Instead of just holding onto the 11X and 12X apps until they come out with the legit criteria; they are going to reject all those that have a flying training and make everyone reapply once the new PSDM is released. WTF?

As much as I hate to potentially walk away from the (alleged) money, I'll Palace Chase as soon as my app is returned and I get back to home station. There's still a 365 out there with my name on it, and I don't trust A1 to get their sh*t together before I have to take it. This is stupid, people deserve better, and I'm tired of dealing with it.

FWIW...if the RIF board happens before I can PC, my Do Not Retain Me letter will be written in f*cking crayon. The fat kind.

• Upvote 1

As much as I hate to potentially walk away from the (alleged) money, I'll Palace Chase as soon as my app is returned and I get back to home station.

this....i return next month...my PC application will be in before the new RIF PSDM is released.....assuming the above is true about them kicking them all back.

those of us in the MC-12 community just got this gem from APC after they changed our core IDs from 11M to 11R

latest guidance from AFPC "You will be in the 11R bucket (E-3, E8, RJ)..a return to MAF is unlikely"

As much as I hate to potentially walk away from the (alleged) money, I'll Palace Chase as soon as my app is returned...

And this is exactly what AFPC wants. No separation pay expense, plus some of those 500 Total Force pilot vacancies listed in the PSDM get filled. Now that they have tricked us into showing our cards, they have the chance to fully evaluate the market conditions and "change the truth" to their benefit. We are not being dealt with in good faith.

Unfortunately, the short-term savings isn't worth the long-term loss of institutional credibility. But that'll be the next guy's problem.

Edited by Dave Koza

And this is exactly what AFPC wants. No separation pay expense, plus some of those 500 Total Force pilot vacancies listed in the PSDM get filled. Now that they have tricked us into showing our cards, they have the chance to fully evaluate the market conditions and "change the truth" to their benefit. We are not being dealt with in good faith.

Unfortunately, the short-term savings isn't worth the long-term loss of institutional credibility. But that'll be the next guy's problem.

sadly, im 100% okay with this...i'd have to pay my vsp money back eventually, so yeah losing out on the interest free loan sucks....but the big picture is getting to the other side.

looks like "delaying provisions of"...is this Obamacare?

SNAFU, FUBAR...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:40 PM
Subject: FY14 Officer Reduction In Force (RIF) Board Postponement

TO: MAJCOMS, A1/J1s, FSS/CCs, MPS/Chiefs, MPS Supts

SUBJECT: FY14 Officer Reduction In Force (RIF) Board Postponement

1. The FY14 RIF Board is being postponed to 1 October 2014 due to
limitations in the statutory authority governing the RIF Board and the new
accountability date will be 2 May 2014. At this time, board details including
eligibility are still being worked out. The remaining board schedules for
enlisted and officers remain unchanged. This delay will also allow Airmen and
their Senior Raters more time to concentrate on Retention Recommendation Forms
and other actions required for the Enlisted Retention Boards, Enhanced SERB,
and Force Shaping Board.

2. The Voluntary Separation Pay (VSP) program remains open to all eligible
officers until 1 May 14 in an overage AFSC/year group on both the voluntary
and involuntary matrices. Enlisted VSP and Officer/Enlisted TERA application
windows are unaffected. If an officer has already submitted a VSP application
in anticipation of being RIF eligible, they may elect to withdraw their
application. However, once VSP application processing begins, and officers
are approved for a VSP separation, they will not be able to request to
withdraw the separation.

3. FAQs:

3.1 Will officers who have applied for VSP in lieu of meeting
the RIF board and decide to pull their VSP application since the board is
postponed be allowed to pull their applications?

ANSWER: Yes, members will be able to pull their applications for VSP, through
the Case Management System, prior to 28 Feb 14. Starting 3 Mar 14, AFPC will
begin the batch approval process and active applications will be used in
determining approvals, so no further withdrawals are possible. Additionally,
once the RIF board and criteria are established, if a member wishes to
resubmit at that time, as long as their AFSC is still "Blue" on the matrix,
they will be permitted to do so.

3.2. Will officers that applied for VSP, and who were
previously RIF eligible as of Feb 14, still be considered for VSP based on the
officer voluntary matrix?

ANSWER: Yes, as long as their AFSC and Year Group are still "Blue" on the
matrix, their VSP application will continue to process.

3.3. Will the future RIF COMCAT and criteria change?

ANSWER: Potentially, depending upon when the RIF board is scheduled to
convene. Detailed criteria will be released in a PSDM, once the board date
has been established.

3.4. Will AFPC return all RIF eligible officer VSP
applications and let them apply later this year if the COMCAT and criteria
changes?

ANSWER: AFPC will not blanket return all officer VSP applications. If a
member wishes to withdraw their application because they are no longer facing
a RIF board in June, they may request to withdraw through the Case Management
System (CMS). As long as the application window is still open and the member
is still eligible based on the criteria, the member may apply or reapply.

3.5. Will the officer VSP window be extended for RIF
vulnerable officers or will AFPC establish a separate VSP window for these
officers?

ANSWER: Air Force officials are considering options for the VSP window (in
conjunction with the RIF board) based upon the delay for the RIF board.
Further details will be provided at a later date.

4. PSDM 13-130, FY14 Officer Reduction in Force (RIF) Board, will be
rescinded and a new PSDM will be published in the near future once board
details have been determined.

5. POC is AFPC/DPSOR, email dpsor.taskmgt@us.af.mil.