Tornado in OKC

afnav

About two hours ago, Fort Worth Center made a broadcast that OK towers (not sure which once specifically) were shutting down due to impending tornado.

Lived in Oklahoma most my life, it's tough to be away in a time like this. I know Oklahomans will recover and rebuild, just like in 99. Thoughts and prayers to OKC!

Good for them, prayers to everyone. Should they rebuild only to get hit again next year or more?

Should they rebuild only to get hit again next year or more?

I think it's a fair question to ask. The way I see it about tornadoes is that they can definitely be devastating, but the odds of one of them taking out your house or hurting you is extremely low when compared to other natural disasters. Hurricanes seem to be much more devastating to property as it can affect much larger areas, though you have the health benefit of knowing when they are coming so you can get the fvck out of dodge.

I personally don't want to live where there's any higher than average chance of natural disasters. Hopefully tonight's storms and tornadoes didn't kill anybody.

• Upvote 1

About two hours ago, Fort Worth Center made a broadcast that OK towers (not sure which once specifically) were shutting down due to impending tornado.

Work at KOKC, told to beat feet when a tornado touched down at El Reno which is due west from the airport. Wiley Post had traffic divert to us at Will Rogers.

Never mind, you're right. They should just leave their house all torn to shit and just live in a hotel the rest of their lives...

Because everyone who has ever moved (for whatever reason) goes to live in a hotel for the rest of their lives.

It's a fair question to ask--does an event such as these storms cause people to reexamine whether they want to continue to live in a certain location, regardless if they lost their house or not? I'm willing to bet at least one person in the greater OKC area is now deciding to move away due to the recent storms.

Because everyone who has ever moved (for whatever reason) goes to live in a hotel for the rest of their lives.

It's a fair question to ask--does an event such as these storms cause people to reexamine whether they want to continue to live in a certain location, regardless if they lost their house or not? I'm willing to bet at least one person in the greater OKC area is now deciding to move away due to the recent storms.

There very well may be people who decide to move but that's their personal choice. He's acting like he doesn't know why anyone would live in an area that has tornadoes. Almost any place you live there's a chance of something bad happening to your house.

I have a buddy living in OKC in a new home that does not have a basement. It seemed the same way in Altus too. Anyone have a reason why everyone doesn't have a basement in OK?

I was listening to a report that stated since the ground is made of clay the concrete basement would shift more aggressively than in "normal" soil, thus builders don't like putting them in and it compromises the structure of the home. With that said they also sell storm shelters that you can dig a hole in the ground and put a prefabricated concrete living space in. Not quite sure why everyone doesn't do that, but I can imagine that's probably pretty expensive! Disclaimer: I'm neither a builder or an engineer, I know you're shocked.

After working cleanup in the tornado devastated area here in Granbury, TX, my wife and I have had a couple conversations regarding a shelter since we don't have one. We have added Red Cross apps to phones and iPads for tornado warning since we live in the country with no warning system at all. No discussion of moving, however. Contrary to the 3 little pigs vs the big bad wolf theory, houses made of stone, brick, etc. fared no better than a house of sticks.

I have a buddy living in OKC in a new home that does not have a basement. It seemed the same way in Altus too. Anyone have a reason why everyone doesn't have a basement in OK?

Yes. It costs an extra $75K+ to build with a basement instead of a slab in that area.

I think you can put in a shelter underneath your garage for 2-3K. I live in the metropolis of Enid, and that's what a few guys have done to their personal residences.

Yet everyone living on base is SOL.

The base doesn't have one/several underground storm shelters spread around the base that everybody can go to?

Nope, you would think after decades of being there some WG/CC would have done that. The newer houses (permanent party) have "interior rooms" which if you look at the pictures coming out of OK the last couple weeks is a joke. The older house are single story duplexes with no area that can be used for shelter. Like Brewskis said when there is a forecasted event like this past weekend they open the OG building which a is a small castle. However, if a tornado drops out of the blue or its a weekend you're most likely SOL, spent a few sleepless nights when I was there watching tornadoes track towards the town. Luckily (from what I have been told by the locals) Enid is surrounded by some geographic features that usually split storms/tornadoes around the town, and in my year and a half there definitely saw it happen more than a couple times. Also there have only been 3 tornadoes to hit the town in the last 50 years, so I guess statistically speaking the probability is low and not worth it.

I have a friend who lives on the NE side of OKC and he has one of those shelters in his garage. They are pretty slick. I think they are around $5k but I believe there are some FEMA rebates that bring it down to around ~$3k or so. At one time I was looking to move there and was going to get one. Moved to Georgia instead and have a basement.

http://www.flatsafe.com/