Eliminating AF Waste (Fraud/Abuse too)

And while pilots in FTU or "eyeballing" all the upgrades might not be leading 69 troops, as you know preparing for flights/upgrades, flying, and properly assessing performance takes a significant amount of time/work. It's just a different type.

In today's posting, let's address waste, and more specifically, wasted time. Long time ago, I learned that time equals money, and that is very much true as we are all salaried employees. Every minute of our efforts costs money. With that out of the way, I'd like to bring up stuff have to do that doesn't really matter. There are plenty of AFI's etc. out there that make us do crap that doesn't matter.

Take the example of getting a flight waiver for an MEL item. My vol 3 says MAJCOM/DO when I'm on the road. Couldn't we put that down to the level of say, sq/cc? See there, I just saved some general's time. Now I know they delegate that crap down, but nonetheless there is a process, powerpoint slides are made, and time is spent by many in order to allow me to fly without 2x ADFs.

I could go on. Where do you all see time being wasted?

Out

In today's posting, let's address waste, and more specifically, wasted time. Long time ago, I learned that time equals money, and that is very much true as we are all salaried employees. Every minute of our efforts costs money. With that out of the way, I'd like to bring up stuff have to do that doesn't really matter. There are plenty of AFI's etc. out there that make us do crap that doesn't matter.

Take the example of getting a flight waiver for an MEL item. My vol 3 says MAJCOM/DO when I'm on the road. Couldn't we put that down to the level of say, sq/cc? See there, I just saved some general's time. Now I know they delegate that crap down, but nonetheless there is a process, powerpoint slides are made, and time is spent by many in order to allow me to fly without 2x ADFs.

Out

Sounds like you have a nice 847 to submit.

Sure, but what if your one working ADF subsequently fails? Then what?

Out

it's a risk acceptance thing. The AF has decided which is the appropriate level to accept certain risks, and to what authority it can be delegated. It's not just "because", it's because at some point, someone at MAJCOM staff ran a risk matrix and decided what made sense for what level assumes/accepts a given risk. I can definitely say you won't have much headway on lowering that acceptance level, but you may have better luck requesting an update to the MEL (using your example).

It's not just "because", it's because at some point, someone at MAJCOM staff ran a risk matrix and decided what made sense for what level assumes/accepts a given risk.

Not questioning what you're saying here... I simply want to know where this risk matrix is and how I can run it myself for shits and giggles.

I am really tired of hearing about staff and their ability to figure out what is and is not safe for me as the aircraft commander.

oh that risk matrix was probably run decades ago, doubt anyone could find it now. You could press-to-test with an 847 if you wanted, but it would be YEARS before you'd see movement, since those changes would have to be coorded by all the MAJCOMs...

ETA: and you'd probably have to have a working relationship with the individual who was re-writing that AFI or T.O. to even get the ball rolling. Doubt an 847 would make it past a MAJCOM staff to the OPR at the Air Staff.

Edited by stract

The above is the reason I look like the RCA dog every time I hear, "We aren't getting much input from the field... So we must be on the right track/the ones who know best/are keeping the crews from killing themselves... "

MAJCOM CCs are fond of these sayings - confirmation bias at its best!

Chuck

The SME should not be someone a thousand miles away with questionable experience, and currency. In AFCENT, the MEL waiver authority is the OG/CC per the OI for this reason among others. Now you are making local commanders talk and think about flying. Heaven forbid you need a waiver during the Monday staff meeting...have taken off late for this very reason.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

The above is the reason I look like the RCA dog every time I hear, "We aren't getting much input from the field... So we must be on the right track/the ones who know best/are keeping the crews from killing themselves... "

MAJCOM CCs are fond of these sayings - confirmation bias at its best!

Chuck

"Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership." - Colin Powell

• Upvote 1

"Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership." - Colin Powell

Shack