Classic Thread - Why go Air Force?

Starboard

They did not treat their enlisted like grown-ups. Man, that really sucked to live like that and be treated like that.

AAAAAmen....THE #1 reason I got the Fvck out absolutely as soon as possible. The Air Force has recently adopted the "one shit his pants, everyone wears diapers" mentality....the Navy invented it. I was on a six year enlistment and was able to work a six month early release. It took the entire five previous years of planning but my plan worked. I say again, the most miserable time of my life..... and I had a pretty decent job (backshop Avionics) so I wasn't doing the really shitty work like some poor bastards.

The Navy also had too much division among the ranks. I understand the whole O/E, non-fraternizing blah, blah, blah thing but the Navy takes it to another level. When you have seperate everything for nearly every f'ing paygrade it gets ridiculous. We, no shit, had a seperate dining area in the chow hall at tech school for E-4's. On the boat, E-6's got "head of the line" in the scumbag E-6 and below chow hall. E-7-E-9 had their own chow hall and O's had their own chow hall. At the place I worked at when not at sea (NAS Oceana) we had a restroom for E-7 and up. Working mids once and a dude I was working with had the shits, took off running down the hall (this was at 2am) and realized he wasn't going to make it to the E-6 and below shitter so he diverted to the E-7 shitter. Just so happened the only E-7 in the building that night happened to walk in while this dude was having a blow out. The E-7 stood outside and waited for him to come out and chewed his ass for using his shitter. :bash:

The Air Farce invented the "one shit his pants, everyone wears diapers" mentality years ago.

When I was at Tinker, every time we went on the road with a 24-person crew, everyone was treated like the lowest ranking person on the plane - usually a 2-striper. If another unit did something stupid, our leadership had to show they were 'doing something' and punished us as a collective. Granted, since 9/11, things have chilled a little.

With the lack of flight hours for the rest of the year, I can see plenty of opportunities for 'leadership' to invent bullshit to keep everyone on their toes.

You can do that in the CG and Army WO. As a matter of fact, lot more opportunities to do stuff like that. Not knocking the CSAR, but I wouldn't put it in the #1 reason for USAF aspirants.

It's about dwell time at home, facilities and greater preponderance of fixed wing slots. The best paid regional airline, in essence.

A simple hoist yeah, but CSAR? Don't think so. Back to the thread's regular topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

5_zpsef24f600.gif

Been about a solid 4 minutes straight, and I still can't stop laughing - tears coming down my face and everything. And finally when I was able to click away, I went back to it for another laugh. Top 10 posts of all time on Baseops.

The look in the eyes just about says it all when it comes to using common sense in the Air Force.

Edited by JS
  • Upvote 1

Been about a solid 4 minutes straight, and I still can't stop laughing - tears coming down my face and everything. And finally when I was able to click away, I went back to it for another laugh. Top 10 posts of all time on Baseops.

The look in the eyes just about says it all when it comes to using common sense in the Air Force.

Yup, there's no topping that. HOSS might as well shut down that account and start a new one.

Sometimes a .gif is worth 1,000 words.

.....literally, 1,000 words. ...Maybe more.

<<I'm looking at you, nsplayr>>

That .gif is how Nsplayr looks when he sees something he disagrees with which of course leads to the 3000 word Political Professor dissertation reply.

That .gif is how Nsplayr looks when he sees something he disagrees with which of course leads to the 3000 word Political Professor dissertation reply.

That gif is also the same look you get when you go into the MPF (during non-training hours, of course) and ask for something non-standard or something off the wall like "I am here to get a new ID card."

Here is the look on the face of the guy at the Dental Clinic when I tell him "I am a Reservist on an Active Duty tour and would like to make an active duty dental appointment."

5_zpsef24f600.gif

I get the same look from the lady at the billeting desk after she asks for my active duty orders and I tell her "I am a Reservist on inactive duty and we don't get orders for that, but I still am entitled to a room."

I think we could break off and start a new thread and just use that gif as the original post. I predict 69 pages in the first week.

ETA: Damn, I still laugh my ass off at that.

I get the same look from the lady at the billeting desk after she asks for my active duty orders and I tell her "I am a Reservist on inactive duty and we don't get orders for that, but I still am entitled to a room."

At Maxwell Billeting that is the standard greeting look. "Hello, how are you today? Am I in the right place to get a room?"

Edited by HerkFE

Only to be topped by a pilot refusing to write up a hard landing when they blow out a pair of tires.

Only to be topped by a nav on a min ferry crew refusing to fly the jet because his repeater altimeter, the fourth one on the airplane mind you, is a RCH below 75' from field elevation....

...or an E-dub doing oxygen checks on the cotton-pickin' flare during pattern work....

Goobers..

WTF do blown tires have to do with a hard landing? 99.69% of blown tires are caused by a brake locking up or faulty anti-skid.

And the rest of them are caused by the tires just wearing out due to normal use after not getting caught during post-flights.

Thank you for pointing this out. Up until now I though hard landings were measured in G's or VVI. Number of tires blown is a much easier Ops Limit.

they're actually measured in units of NBh (Nav Butthurt) on a scale of 1 (the pilot let me fly today!) to 10 (i'll never be a general)

• Upvote 4

Only to be topped by a nav on a min ferry crew refusing to fly the jet because his repeater altimeter, the fourth one on the airplane mind you, is a RCH below 75' from field elevation....

...or an E-dub doing oxygen checks on the cotton-pickin' flare during pattern work....

Goobers..

Good technique by the E-dub, 3 hours of pattern work is enough dammit, especially after that last one by the co-pilot where we bounced 50ft off the front tires!

Edited by LUGNUT
  • Upvote 1

150px-Distinguished_Warfare_Medal.jpg

Because the Navy won't give medals out for "Distinguished Warfare".

WTF is that, fighting a war in a tuxedo?

In case you are counting votes, I went through 1.5 years of Navy training and one deployment run by the Navy.

200 something years of tradition unhindered by progress. They brag about flexibility because they start every day without a plan.