Civilian clothes in the AOR

Ravens52

What is everyone's take on the new policy at Dafra? How long do you think this policy will last?

Warriors,

Effective immediately, civilian clothing is authorized for all Al Dhafra

personnel in the Phantom East and West compounds while engaged in off-duty

leisure or physical fitness activities. Members are required to be in

uniform during any official duty (including in/out processing) and on all

other US portions of the installation including MOTOWN, Munitions Storage

Areas, Patriot Battery Compound, etc. Clothing worn off the US portion of

Al Dhafra AB must still comply with AEWI 36-2903, Community Standards,

Chapter 3, para 3.1.1.

This policy considers host nation sensitivities while also supporting

ongoing efforts to transition to enduring operations at Al Dhafra Air Base.

These changes will be included in the next Community Standards update.

Please review the attached policy letter for additional guidance.

Well done and well deserved...

It's the first step to accompanied tours. I would be shocked if it took more than a year for the first accompanied PCS orders to be cut now. Next up for AUAB and ADAB will probably be a commissary and school. I have heard MANY senior leaders express the intent to make Al Udeid "The Rammstein of the middle east". I believe this is the next step in that transition.

• Upvote 1

It's the first step to accompanied tours. I would be shocked if it took more than a year for the first accompanied PCS orders to be cut now. Next up for AUAB and ADAB will probably be a commissary and school. I have heard MANY senior leaders express the intent to make Al Udeid "The Rammstein of the middle east". I believe this is the next step in that transition.

There are already a handful of folks here on accompanied two-year tours.

Rammstein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y4vIzEkd6s

or Ramstein?

overview.jpg

• Upvote 1

There are other accompanied tours that have include tax-free for years… Saudi Arabia tours come to mind

I don't think there have been any Saudi accompanied tours since the Khobar Tower days....all of my bro's that have been to Saudi for remotes in the last 6-9 years, bring the fam has not been an option.

Cheers,

Cap-10

I used to post on baseops before I got my pilot slot in 04, then I got busy flying/doing the dreaded masters, and now I have more time, especially as I'm on my 8th deployment (4X enlisted, 4X pilot). I only mention this to provide background/anti-troll info about myself.

As far as civies in the AOR goes, it's not new. I wore civies when I was deployed to PSAB in the late 90s (yes as active duty); PT gear didn't exist then.

That said, I see what you're saying that the transition to civilian clothes might imply a more permanent stance at certain locations. On the other side of the coin, it's nothing new. I think it could be a (belated) tactic by the new CSAF to alleviate some of the BS everyone's put up with for 10+ years at certain places. Hell, maybe he is projecting that "illegal" morale thing, I don't know.

Whatever the case, I'm just saying IMHO that the policy shift might actually be a morale issue. Don't know for sure, just my guess. We weren't ever leaving that part of the world anyway.....again I was deployed to the Middle East in the late 90s and I'm still doing that.....

I don't think there have been any Saudi accompanied tours since the Khobar Tower days....all of my bro's that have been to Saudi for remotes in the last 6-9 years, bring the fam has not been an option.

Correct. When I was there, the 2-star was trying to open it up for families in order to be able to extend tour lengths. He polled folks to see what the general consensus was and the extension of tour lengths was a minor issue compared to those who realized they would quickly lose their tax free benefits if families started showing up.

As an aside, the term "SrA Yummybritches" has now entered my daily vocabulary. Whoever that was who put that up; :beer:

I've also heard said Amn referred to as the SA-21.

(IE: about 21 years old with a disastrously high Pk)