Strike Eagle down, one KIA

lazlo

Later Bro!

• 4 months later...

Pilot error. (says the AIB)

Strike eagle guys: can you deselect AI on the HUD?

It's not worded clearly in the article ("the F-15E’s electronic attitude director indicator...was not on the cockpit’s display"), but they're talking about the MPCD (multi-purpose color display). The pilot has three displays - two green MPDs and an MPCD. All the screens can be programmed to scroll through different displays using HOTAS, but the MPCD has a safety feature where, if you've been on a screen for more than 5" and you start to scroll, the first screen to come up is the ADI (even if not programmed).

It's a safety feature for this exact situation so you don't have to fumble for an ADI since Strike Eagle guys don't use the HUD for recoveries, they use the MPCD.

The article is saying that he didn't pull up the ADI on his MPCD.

When we teach recoveries at the FTU we make the UP/UW's scroll off of the ADI, which forces them to HOTAS to it as part of their Recognize, Confirm Steps.

Piston was a student of a mine....him, him!!!

Cheers,

Cap-10

• 3 weeks later...

Why? I think Hacker was trying to say that, had he been in the same situation, that tower might have caused him to lose his SA.

Yes, exactly. I've never seen any tower like that, and as I looked at the photo and considered being out there where it's blacker-than-a-bag-of-assholes, fatigued at the end of a LFE sortie, and I saw that...that might very well tumble my internal gyros.

If "day man" thinks that's weak, well good for him.

Edited by Hacker

Why? I think Hacker was trying to say that, had he been in the same situation, that tower might have caused him to lose his SA.

Yes, exactly. I've never seen any tower like that, and as I looked at the photo and considered being out there where it's blacker-than-a-bag-of-assholes, fatigued at the end of a LFE sortie, and I saw that...that might very well tumble my internal gyros.

If "day man" thinks that's weak, well good for him.

We're on the same page...I thought Hacker was being sarcastic but should've known better for this particular topic. :beer: