Bounty Hunters

And now the Senate is getting involved:

http://www.wwltv.com/sports/Senator-calls-hearing-to-examine-bounties-in-NFL-143849626.html

by HOWARD FENDRICH / AP Pro Football Writer

wwltv.com

Posted on March 22, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Updated today at 1:18 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Sen. Dick Durbin is setting up a Judiciary Committee hearing about bounties in the NFL and other major sports in the wake of news that New Orleans Saints players received extra cash for hits that hurt particular opponents.

The assistant Senate majority leader, an Illinois Democrat, says he wants to examine whether federal law should make such bounty systems a crime.

Durbin's announcement Thursday comes a day after the NFL took a harsh stand on bounties, suspending Saints head coach Sean Payton for all of next season, and indefinitely banning their former defensive coordinator, Gregg Williams.

Durbin calls the Saints' bounties a "disturbing practice." He plans to ask representatives of the NFL, Major League Baseball, NBA, NHL and NCAA to testify at the hearing.

AP-WF-03-22-12 1816GMT

I had no idea this story involved so much covering up and lying on the part of the Saints. Before I heard that, I thought the punishment was way too harsh. After reading about Payton's repeated lies to the NFL, I think he got what he deserved.

I've also gotta give it up to Goodell for not playing favorites with one of the leagues most popular teams. Impressive to see someone actually hand out some discipline in today's sports world.