Operation Bolo - 02 Jan 1967

MKopack

Remember this?

RAF pilot refuses US order to trim moustache

An RAF pilot has been ordered to trim his handlebar moustache by an American General who took offence at its length, but the British serviceman was not prepared to lose his whiskers without a fight.

chris-ball-404_678618c.jpg

Flt Lt Ball was told to cut his back while on a posting with the American Air Force 366 Fighter Squadron, where he operates an F-15 fighter-bomber.

The British airman, who sports a handlebar moustache in the proud tradition of the RAF, refused to comply when his superior officer in Afghanistan took offence at his facial hair.

Showing a bravado akin to that of Biggles, he fought back, eventually convincing the general that his generous whiskers were in line with regulations laid down by the Queen herself.

Instead the RAF fighter pilot decided to go above the head of his superior officer and consulted regulations approved by the Queen which set out the permitted size of an RAF moustache.

Flt Lt Ball measured his whiskers and to his delight they did not contravene the rules. He took his findings to the general, and after a frank "exchange of views" was allowed to keep the facial hair intact.

Flt Lt Ball said: "The yanks are not allowed to grow a full-length tash. After I was told to trim mine down I had to dig out the Queen's Regulations to prove I was not breaching our own code."

In 2007 the RAF relaxed its restrictions on facial hair for men serving in Afghanistan, because beards are thought to be a sign of status in the country.

The American general "allowed" a foreign officer to be within his own regulations? What bullshit!

This, gentlemen, is how it is done! :rock:

Stache.jpg

• Upvote 1

Interesting that our leadership professes a need for USAF heritage, while simultaneously doing everything in their power to squash it.

There is definitely a "heritage" rearing it's ugly head in the last ten years. Blue tiger striped BDUs, A heritage jacket for the service dress, and many more fun things that set us apart from other services. They have their problems as well, but ours are pretty bad.

So we're doing open houses in combat zones now???

Damn good idea, if you ask me. Especially at Kandahar. Teach/show the kids we're not evil monsters...and you may get a chance at a real dialogue in the future.

• Upvote 1

Pictured on the page is Ed Rasimus - flew a tour in F-105's in SEA, and liked it so much he went back again to do another in Phantoms. Ed is the cowriter with Christina Olds, of Robin Olds memoir, "Fighter Pilot". He's also got a pair of great books of his own.

• Upvote 1

Pictured on the page is Ed Rasimus - flew a tour in F-105's in SEA, and liked it so much he went back again to do another in Phantoms. Ed is the cowriter with Christina Olds, of Robin Olds memoir, "Fighter Pilot". He's also got a pair of great books of his own.

He was a kick in the ass as my T-37 IP at Willy, too!

• Upvote 1

I can't imagine how awesome and/or scary going through UPT would have been like post-Vietnam with all those crusty combat veterans used to getting SAMs shot at them and battling MiGs.

They kept it real.