Lack of Flight Discipline

stract

It always astounds me how often I've had to reiterate this to people. Maybe it takes learning the hard way....I know I did.

Unfortunately you can never teach someone to STFU, they always need to learn it the hard way, and most (including me sometimes) need refresher training from time to time.

Guest CAVEMAN

Wrong. It was an Aileron Roll.

Why rated pilots are having a hard time distinguishing between the two, I can not fathom.

Are there non-rated pilots?

No it wasn't

Saw it again after my post. My bad. I'd chalk up my error to traveling for about 3 days to get to this little slice of heaven, but that would be quibbling.

Either way, it was fucking stupid to do, and downright idiotic to record.

• 1 month later...

I know this was posted in a different thread, but IMO it definitely deserves to get posted here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDOCh6QWQm8

I think this video should be shown to every aircrew member on the next safety day. I've heard a lot of folks (especially O-6's when talking to the squadrons) discuss various things as a 'lack of flight discipline', and sometimes those things discussed as lacking flight discipline is little more than guys just having a bad day (ie guys doing their job and then just making a mistake vs intentionally breaking a reg). I think this is one is pretty clear cut...

I know this was posted in a different thread, but IMO it definitely deserves to get posted here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDOCh6QWQm8

I think this video should be shown to every aircrew member on the next safety day. I've heard a lot of folks (especially O-6's when talking to the squadrons) discuss various things as a 'lack of flight discipline', and sometimes those things discussed as lacking flight discipline is little more than guys just having a bad day (ie guys doing their job and then just making a mistake vs intentionally breaking a reg). I think this is one is pretty clear cut...

Looks like guys just doing their job...[/j/k]

I think this is one is pretty clear cut...

I wouldn't show this.

I've blown the maps off the hood of more than one HMMWV. Not at all uncommon in the A-10.

Crashing is bad but giving the guys a door check is not the end of the world. In fact, it means a lot to them.

I wouldn't show this.

I've blown the maps off the hood of more than one HMMWV. Not at all uncommon in the A-10.

Crashing is bad but giving the guys a door check is not the end of the world. In fact, it means a lot to them.

Not sure, but I've heard from various sources that the "return to target" that they were doing is a prohibited maneuver in the AH-64. If so, that means these guys knowingly busted a reg and bent a helicopter as a direct result.

Not sure, but I've heard from various sources that the "return to target" that they were doing is a prohibited maneuver in the AH-64. If so, that means these guys knowingly busted a reg and bent a helicopter as a direct result.

I didn't know it was prohibited. I've seen Apaches do this many times. I've done it in an Apache myself.

I've heard not tucking your PT shirt in is also a prohibited mnvr.

We need to crack down on this kind of shit. Hard.

I wouldn't show this.

Sorry Rainman, but I respectfully disagree with you on this one. Unless there's something from the video we don't know (ie they were authorized to perform a 'return to target' type maneuver flying less than 50-100' over their buds or doing this in a direct combat situation), flying this way, especially around people, is never a good idea. We still show videos of the B-52 pilot clearing the ridge line by less than a couple hundred feet to only then later over-bank the aircraft during an airshow practice, killing everyone onboard--fortunately it appears that nobody died from this incident.

At what point does reckless/dangerous flying become (or not become) criminal? Also, how are we going to teach the young guys 'what not to do' if we can never show them concrete examples?

At what point does reckless/dangerous flying become (or not become) criminal? Also, how are we going to teach the young guys 'what not to do' if we can never show them concrete examples?

Flying as low as you're trained to fly is not reckless or dangerous. Even for a panel check. It's also within regs.

A hog at 100' is different than a BUFF at 100'.

If the return to target was illegal, then I guess that's not good.

Flying as low as you're trained to fly is not reckless or dangerous. Even for a panel check. It's also within regs.

That totally depends on the situation though. My airplane is certified and verified to fly at 1mm above the ground in the instant right after takeoff and right before landing. That's lower than snakeshit! So is that my minimum altitude if I wanna do a flyby for some Army dudes?

Hyperbole yes but you get my point...even if you're allowed to fly low or high or fast or slow or whatever, it should be done for a mission-related reason. I've yet to hear of a mission that involves showing off max performance aircraft capes at random to dudes on the ground in some kind of seat of your pants airshow.

That totally depends on the situation though. My airplane is certified and verified to fly at 1mm above the ground in the instant right after takeoff and right before landing. That's lower than snakeshit! So is that my minimum altitude if I wanna do a flyby for some Army dudes?

Unless your LASDT category is 1mm, then no. Reference my last post about being trained.

Hyperbole yes but you get my point...

No. I don't.

even if you're allowed to fly low or high or fast or slow or whatever, it should be done for a mission-related reason.

If you're allowed to fly low and fast and you aren't, then fuck you.

That totally depends on the situation though. My airplane is certified and verified to fly at 1mm above the ground in the instant right after takeoff and right before landing.

What the airplane can do is irrelevant if the crew isn't allowed and isn't trained.

So is that my minimum altitude if I wanna do a flyby for some Army dudes?
You ever fly with a dude trained to operate that aircraft at 1mm AGL? Then no.

even if you're allowed to fly low or high or fast or slow or whatever, it should be done for a mission-related reason. I've yet to hear of a mission that involves showing off max performance aircraft capes at random to dudes on the ground in some kind of seat of your pants airshow.

I've seen -15E's & Hogs do some wild LL passes for show of force/de-escalation events. Surely you've seen something similar in OEF? Granted this -64 dude appears to just be showing off, but I'm always willing to give a dude the benefit of the doubt and a single video NEVER tells he whole story.

I've seen -15E's & Hogs do some wild LL passes for show of force/de-escalation events. Surely you've seen something similar in OEF? Granted this -64 dude appears to just be showing off, but I'm always willing to give a dude the benefit of the doubt and a single video NEVER tells he whole story.

Given the distinct LACK of gunfire either from the ground or the helicopter, one can surmise that this video was not taken during active combat ops. That means that this is most likely showing off, which resulted in a mishap.

I didn't know it was prohibited. I've seen Apaches do this many times. I've done it in an Apache myself.

I've heard not tucking your PT shirt in is also a prohibited mnvr.

We need to crack down on this kind of shit. Hard.

Like I said, I've only "HEARD" that it was prohibited. I don't have 11-2AH-64v3 (or similar) to verify.

And you know as well as I do that tucking in your shirt and flying a prohibited maneuver are two completely different things. One will ALWAYS result in the death of yourself and everyone around you, and the other only has the potential of causing an aircraft mishap.

Given the distinct LACK of gunfire either from the ground or the helicopter, one can surmise that this video was not taken during active combat ops. That means that this is most likely showing off, which resulted in a mishap.

Show of Force (SOF) vs Show of Presence (SOP)...only difference is desired effect.

For all we know, the Apache was conducting a SOP of the FOB before departing...don't know, wasn't there.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Edited by Cap-10

What I'm hearing (and having a hard time believing):

So the low flybys for the troops is ok...but you lose style points if you crash your aircraft.

Flying low is ok if you're current, qualified, and the situation allows (airspace, threat, etc). And yes, you lose points if you crash an aircraft.

For all we know, the Apache was conducting a SOP of the FOB before departing...don't know, wasn't there.

Cheers,

Cap-10

Go easy on the ROE definitions in a public forum.