Saddle up for Syria? Or Op Deny Christmas '13

brickhistory

From KGS nightwatch email today (May 17), hasn't posted on their site yet http://www.kforcegov.com/Services/IS/Nightwatch.aspx

Looks like those in the air aren't the only ones that have to worry (S-300); but the Navy too, 72 Yakhont and added Russian Navy.

Syria-Russia: Update. This week, the New York Times reported that Russia is delivering not only the S-300 advanced air defense missile systems to Syria, but also Yakhont "ship killer" missiles, which would make it a lot more painful for any foreign navies trying to intervene in Syria or provide supplies to the rebels by sea

In 2007, the two countries signed a contract for 72 Yakhont missiles which are supersonic and have a range of about 200 miles. Some missiles were delivered in 2011 but the Russians have not said how many remain to be provided. They are among the most deadly anti-ship missiles in the world.

Comment: Details about the S-300 system delivery remain undisclosed, including whether Russians will install and operate it. A member of the Russian parliament confirmed the Russians consider the Yakhont delivery a part of a longstanding weapons contract. The effect of these deliveries is to deter a UN resolution approving creation of a no-fly zone in Syria, as occurred in Libya which evolved into a NATO air combat campaign with limited ground intervention.

Russia: Russian navy ships from the Pacific Fleet entered the Mediterranean Sea for the first time in decades this week. The task group includes the destroyer Admiral Panteleyev, two amphibious warfare ships Peresvet and Admiral Nevelskoi, as well as a tanker and a tugboat.

"The task force has successfully passed through the Suez Canal and entered the Mediterranean. It is the first time in decades that Pacific Fleet warships have entered this region," the Pacific Fleet spokesman, Captain First Rank Roman Martov told RIA Novosti. Their next port of call is Limassol, Cyprus.

According to the Russian Today, the ships departed Vladivostok on 19 March to join Russia's Mediterranean task force, which currently consists of vessels from Northern, Baltic, and the Black Sea Fleets. The ships include a large anti-submarine ship, a frigate and a Ropucha-II Class landing ship.

Russian Navy Commander Admiral Viktor Chirkov on Sunday announced plans for the Mediterranean task force and said that it may "possibly" be enlarged to include nuclear submarines. "Overall, already from this year, we plan to have five or six warships and support vessels in the Mediterranean Sea, which will be replaced on a rotating basis from each of the fleets. Depending on the scope of assignments and their complexity, the number of warships in the task force may be increased," Chirkov said.

Comment: This week senior Russian officials have made clear that they will not allow NATO to repeat in Syria what occurred in Libya - the expansion of a no-fly zone to an air-supported ground intervention. One analyst judged that President Putin felt deceived by NATO and will not let that happen again. That explains the naval reinforcement and the supply of advanced weapons to the Syrian government forces.

While NATO and the Arab monarchs have dithered, the Russians made their decision to stand by Syria long before March.

On the bright side, I think we'll be home for Christmas or in a "real" war.

Edited by FUEL

Lets see murderous Islamist or a murderous Tyrant. Is it possible that we can help both sides totally eradicate each other just short of nuclear weapons.

Lets see murderous Islamist or a murderous Tyrant. Is it possible that we can help both sides totally eradicate each other just short of nuclear weapons.

My thoughts exactly. This is a total win-win. Let them keep going and see if they can pull Iran and Egypt into it somehow, too.

Inside the rebel group there are different factions of beliefs that are currently working together because they hate the Assad regime more. If he is ousted it is only a matter of time before the rebels turn around and start killing each other.

I concur. We had a good thing going back in the day when we had the Iran/Iraq war. Looking back the Iran/Iraq war was about as good as it could get for the U.S. considering what has transpired in that part of the world since it ended. Maybe it would be best if this conflict in Syria continues and the rest of the non-islamic world lets each side bleed out for a couple of generations.

I concur. We had a good thing going back in the day when we had the Iran/Iraq war. Looking back the Iran/Iraq war was about as good as it could get for the U.S. considering what has transpired in that part of the world since it ended. Maybe it would be best if this conflict in Syria continues and the rest of the non-islamic world lets each side bleed out for a couple of generations.

The more time they spend killing each other, the fewer of them there are and the less we have to worry about them attacking us. Seems like a win-win IMHO.

The more time they spend killing each other, the fewer of them there are and the less we have to worry about them attacking us. Seems like a win-win IMHO.

Alternate ending... This turns into the new Yugoslavia and we spend 5 years slowly winding into involvement and 20 years of actual involvement with no idea what we are trying to accomplish.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that concerns me is that Syria is a follow-on to Afghanistan. The war there trained at least two generations of jihadis in intense combat operations, and filled them with a fervor that lasted 20+ years.

The insurgents are getting a lot of trigger time, are seeing a lot of their friends die, and are getting a steady stream of religious training to prepare them for another wave of conflict in the region.

Hezbollah rightfully knows that if they lose Assad, they will be completely surrounded by Sunnis that have a grudge and Israel. The conflict will get dirtier and will spread, definitely to Israel, and possibly to Jordan and Turkey.

I don't think Assad is going anywhere. Things have been going well for him lately. He's threatened to "release fighters" along the Israeli border. I agree this is going to get much worse.

http://news.yahoo.com/syria-army-announces-capture-key-town-nation-101803378.html

Fortunately we have an able new Ambassador to the UN to bolster our already strong diplomatic core.

http://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-obama-name-samantha-power-un-post-120030277.html;_ylt=A2KJ2UhmKa9RcUsAj8rQtDMD

-> please do not bite off on the silly title, just listen to the woman

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/01/world/middleeast/kerry-castigates-russia-over-syria-bound-missiles.html?pagewanted=all

Shack. My guess is we don't give two shits unless it spills over to Turkey, Israel, or even Jordan. Fuck 'em.

So let me understand this correctly... The current administration would like to disarm US citizens (cuz guns are bad mmm kay) but at the same time arm up the Syrian citizens... Am I missing something here?? I'm pretty sure we know how this story ends...worked out well in Afghanistan...

So let me understand this correctly... The current administration would like to disarm US citizens (cuz guns are bad mmm kay) but at the same time arm up the Syrian citizens... Am I missing something here?? I'm pretty sure we know how this story ends...worked out well in Afghanistan...

Be reasonable. There's no comparison. On one hand, you have an out of control government taking advantage of its citizens, ignoring calls for reform, and assuming more power and control while reducing..zzz

...Hey, the new Superman movie is out today! Gotta go.

• Upvote 1

Russia, don't you dare arm the Assad regime, that's completely irresponsible! But sit back and watch us pour money and weapons into the radical opposition. What could go wrong?

When has arming a group of religiously motivated rebels in the Middle East ever backfired for the US?

• Upvote 1