Earthquake/Tsunami in Japan

Videos on CNN are CRAZY. Hope everyone out there is ok...

edit: Tsunami warning issued for Hawaii, expecting 0259 HI time.

Edited by day man

Anyone on here from or heard from Misawa?

Yep. No injuries reported as of yet. The tsunami hit Hachinohe 10 miles to the south, but did not hit Misawa. The base is without power or internet, but it sounds like everyone is ok so far. They're still trying to account for everyone, which is made more difficult by the lack of cell phone service.

Facebooking with friends at Yokota , they are restricted to base and they have taken commercial diverts due to a airport up north disabled. He told me everybody is safe.

Prayers for the Japanese and a :beer: to the first Herk to land at Sendai.

edit: fixed link

Now thats a FOD hazard from hell, I wonder if underneath the runway is compromised.

Secretary of State Clinton has stated that US Military aircraft have delivered "emergency core coolant" to the disabled and overpressure and overheating Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. They have announced plans to release radioactive steam to relieve the pressure.

I'm not a nuclear pro by a long shot, but don't most nuke plants use basically plain water as coolant?

I was watching this live last night, and actually saw people running/ cars trying to drive away and then getting swallowed by the water. The pure power and speed was just amazing. Can't even imagine being there. My Stats professor was late today, but thankfully it was because he was talking with his wife in Tokyo to make sure she was safe.

Secretary of State Clinton has stated that US Military aircraft have delivered "emergency core coolant" to the disabled and overpressure and overheating Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. They have announced plans to release radioactive steam to relieve the pressure.

I'm not a nuclear pro by a long shot, but don't most nuke plants use basically plain water as coolant?

Heavy water reactors replace both hydrogen atoms in the water molecule with deuterium, thus making it D20. The deuterium acts as a moderator by retarding the neutrons which makes them more likely to react with U-235. At natural speed neutrons tend to be react with U-238; which captures those neutrons without fissioning... thus not producing power.

Light water (regular water) is also used. But with a light water reactor you can't use uranium in its natural state. It has to be enriched first or it will never reach criticality (the nuclear fission chain reaction).

US reactors are typically light water while Canada's reactors are heavy water. It appears, though, that Japan uses light water reactors.

Now that I've thoroughly bored you to death by recalling my youth spent in NE classes it appears that Japan had asked for help, the US said it would and the process got started, but then ultimately Japan decided they could handle it themselves. No one updated Clinton, apparently, as she was going off of old info. Story here.

• Upvote 1

Any word of MAF assets getting spun up to move? Guessing there will be a lot of humanitarian airlift requirements in the very near future.

If the Japanese government requests it. They are a very proud people.

So with the meltdowns of the three reactors in full swing, anyone given any thought to how far that cloud of intestine dissolving radioactive material will travel across the pond?

You should read up on the containment capabilities.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Any word of MAF assets getting spun up to move? Guessing there will be a lot of humanitarian airlift requirements in the very near future.

A shit-ton of people from my SQ raised our hands, in response to an unofficial query from AFRC. That's as far as it's gone for us, though...

So with the meltdowns of the three reactors in full swing, anyone given any thought to how far that cloud of intestine dissolving radioactive material will travel across the pond?

Doesn't matter. Godzilla will soak that shit up long before it gets to us. The people of Tokyo on the other hand . . . .

godzilla_eat_train.gif

3/14/2011 - KADENA AIR BASE, Japan (AFNS) -- Approximately 100 Airmen and three MC-130P Combat Shadows from the 353rd Special Operations Group deployed to Yokota Air Base March 12 to support humanitarian relief operations after an 8.9 magnitude earthquake hit the Pacific Ocean off the coast of northeastern Japan March 11.

The Airmen are prepared to provide their unique expertise in their respective areas to the Japanese government and multiple organizations supporting relief efforts across the affected area, officials said.

"The devastation caused by the earthquake is truly heartbreaking." said Col. Stephen Bissonnette, deputy commander of the 353rd SOG. "As part of coordinated relief efforts, the group will work tirelessly with our Japanese counterparts and other relief organizations to help the people affected by the earthquake recover from this disaster."

The 353rd SOG is able to conduct search and rescue operations, transport emergency response teams, equipment and relief supplies, survey and open airfields and helicopter landing zones with certified air traffic controllers, provide emergent medical care to injured people and assist the Japanese government and other relief agencies with a variety of highly trained support personnel for humanitarian assistance operations.

Link