Gen Welsh - USAF Chief of Staff

busdriver

I prefer the Air University-approved 8-step OODA loop.

Golden. Unfortunately there was one opponent Boyd didn't build his OODA loop to defeat: the USAF. They've expanded further upon that 8-step defeat of the OODA loop's purpose. There are now 8 steps with 8 sub-steps which each have 3 processes. No wonder we develop leaders that can't make decisions; they never reach the end of the AF risk-averse decision process.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've made up my mind after watching Welsh in front of Congress. He's kinda like Obama. Rode into power on a wave of hope/change, hasn't lived up to the hype.

Great speaker to a seated audience (Although the one time I saw him in person he danced around a blunt question politician style), but I have just lost faith in the guy overall.

As I have with many other generals as I've watched them lie, distort facts and play politics instead of lead which makes me wonder if they are incompetent or liars.....either way, not people I'd want in charge.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I've made up my mind after watching Welsh in front of Congress. He's kinda like Obama. Rode into power on a wave of hope/change, hasn't lived up to the hype.

Great speaker to a seated audience (Although the one time I saw him in person he danced around a blunt question politician style), but I have just lost faith in the guy overall.

As I have with many other generals as I've watched them lie, distort facts and play politics instead of lead which makes me wonder if they are incompetent or liars.....either way, not people I'd want in charge.

Di1630 for president!

He didn't exactly get it right, but he did a hell of a lot better job comprehending it compared to that 69 step abortion the AF pawns off as an explanation for the Loop.

Agreed on all. The best example of the OODA loop I have ever seen was in Robert Corum's book "Boyd". All too often, we try to make this concept more complicated, and it loses it's meaning.

Fud - Check out Osinga's book on Boyd. Way better, way deeper than Corum's hagiography.

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Strategy-War-Strategic-History/dp/0415459524/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426888845&sr=8-1&keywords=Frans+Osinga

Chuck

According to Boyd's acolytes, Osinga's book is equivalent to all of Col Boyd's briefings in written rather than spoken form.

Mind of War by Grant Hammond is essential reading; Dr Hammond actually knew Boyd personally, unlike Coram.

Certain to Win is also very insightful.

Now back to complaining about the CSAF...

I said the same thing back in August. Glad to hear I'm not the only guy who has this opinion.

You also realize he is the only service chief in the last decade that has had to deal with sequestration, and his budget and man power being slashed while not expecting any reduction in bases, aircraft, or mission capability.

He gave a speech today at Creech, and he cares but he doesn't have the resources to make everyone (or anyone) happy. He is straight forward, and willing to discuss anything. But he was also willing to put people in their place from a SSgt, to a Major, to the friggin wing commander (in front of his wing) when they asked questions about "why are we getting worked so hard" and he told them "everyone everywhere is getting worked hard...it isn't just here. So any bodies or resources I move are getting taken from somewhere else." That said, he also pointed out that he is robbing Peter to pay Paul to get us some help and that the COMACC will be working hand in hand with him.

He has been given a heaping pile of manure and he is doing what he can to hand out palatable sh*t sandwiches, because that is all he has to offer. If you don't like it blame/contact your elected officials.

• Upvote 1

He gave a similar speech to all us SNCO's last March at Altus. I still have faith with him because he honestly cares about the people and the USAF.. Skeletor left him with a shit pile and that's all he's had to work with.

Edited by Azimuth

"The takeaways are startling. Welsh can’t fix the Air Force’s pilot shortage. He can’t even hire more babysitters to watch the kids while the adults fight terrorists. His honesty is refreshing, but no chaser can wash away the taste of inevitable mediocrity."

Hold the line: Welsh tells Creech there is no help on the way

-9-

"The takeaways are startling. Welsh can’t fix the Air Force’s pilot shortage. He can’t even hire more babysitters to watch the kids while the adults fight terrorists. His honesty is refreshing, but no chaser can wash away the taste of inevitable mediocrity."

Hold the line: Welsh tells Creech there is no help on the way

-9-

In my opinion his article doesn't reflect reality. Having been there and heard what Welsh had to say I think Tony Carr missed the mark, and he has lot all credibility with me. The spin on that blog article is sickening. I can only assume the rest of his articles are a similar mix of half truths pandering to upset people to make them more upset.

Welsh was honest and told us he was going to fix what he could, but that he couldn't fix everything some people saw as a problem due to budget and man power constraints. As far as him saying "No help is on the way" that couldn't be farther from the truth. He is fighting for us all the way up to the Sec Def along with Gen. Carlisle which is a good start. When Hostage was running ACC he pretty much spit in the face of any RPA guy he could every chance he got i.e. his speech at the 2012 Nellis/Creech/NTTR Air Force Ball.

The other thing that no one asked is what is being done at Cannon? Creech's quality of life is still infinitely better than the RPA guys at Cannon.

When Hostage was running ACC he pretty much spit in the face of any RPA guy he could every chance he got i.e. his speech at the 2012 Nellis/Creech/NTTR Air Force Ball.

Could you enlighten us on that speech?

Back on topic: there is probably nothing Welsh can do to fix the RPA manning problem in the short or medium term. Being an RPA pilot sucks, so people with options are going to leave. The options on the civilian side are going to increase. Quality of life for people wearing flightsuits inside shipping containers isn't going to increase any time soon. This problem is going to get alot worse before it gets better.

What keeps the AF from contracting out RPA operators? Sure, you want a mil dude to pull the trigger, but that has to be roughly 0.5% of total time logged...

Within the DoD, we have contractor-operated RPAs and ISR platforms.

Edited by Dupe