C-17 Down on Elmendorf

uhhello

Saw it today.... Twice.

Agreed.

The message is bad...the animation is horrific. Can't stop thinking about it. Godspeed to the crew, and heartfelt condolences to the families. I encourage every aviator on this forum to find a way to access both, share them w/your sq bros, talk about it, and most importantly, learn.

The message is bad...the animation is horrific.

I think I know what you mean, but I would clarify the contents of the message and animation. I thought the animation was well put together.

I think I know what you mean, but I would clarify the contents of the message and animation. I thought the animation was well put together.

Yes, very well put together. Trying to relay how I felt after watching it w/out compromising any PI.

Saw the actual footage the tower recorded of the mishap. That coupled with the audio track was almost too much. The silence in the room was quite palpable.

Saw the same thing on Friday. The last 2-3 seconds of "audible" was quite disturbing. I hope the family never hears/sees.

Definitely a learning tool....haven't seen the animation yet. Don't think I'm going to.

I tried to go through my SE shop to get this (which unfortunately is the NAF at a non-flying location) and was given the "Why do you want to see this?" followed by silence. If anybody can get steer me in the right direction, please PM.

I tried to go through my SE shop to get this (which unfortunately is the NAF at a non-flying location) and was given the "Why do you want to see this?" followed by silence. If anybody can get steer me in the right direction, please PM.

Similar issue as I am out of the normal channels. If anyone has a link or other method please PM and I will provide a .mil address.

I know its important to protect those involved & the families, however I don't know why it has to be such a secret to AF pilots. Aren't we supposed to learn from past incidents? Even if that means viewing the animation/audio/PACAF presentation.

I just don't get it when someone looks bewildered or asks "Why do you want to see this?". Because I am an AF pilot & want to make sure accidents don't get repeated!

I know its important to protect those involved & the families, however I don't know why it has to be such a secret to AF pilots. Aren't we supposed to learn from past incidents? Even if that means viewing the animation/audio/PACAF presentation.

I just don't get it when someone looks bewildered or asks "Why do you want to see this?". Because I am an AF pilot & want to make sure accidents don't get repeated!

I have seen this go back and forth in the safety world. Every pilot needs to see this, I don't care what you fly or flew. The HD video and CVR/FDR are not privilege. So, when the AIB finishes they will be release publicly. No one should have any trouble getting the final safety message, if you are your safety guys need to be reminded what their job is. The safety office is not a vault.

That sucks. If you have wings, you need to at the very least be able to READ this report. That being said, the AIB is due out in the next 1-2 weeks.

Be thankful you didnt/couldnt watch the HD video with the CVR and animation...

Chuck

Guest Hueypilot812

If you're a military flyer, you can see it on the basis of using it as a learning tool for mishap prevention. It's not like it's classified info. The SE folks should know that. I work at our SE shop and I'd show the vid to any flyer who may operate an aircraft in the future. It's worthwhile watching simply from the shock value. The findings from the SIB sink in real quick after seeing the video.

Same problem. My safety guy can access the preliminary report and narrative, but looked bewildered when I asked for the PACAF presentation and media.

If your SE shop says they can only get the prelim and narrative (doesn't make sense because the prelim only states factual, non-priv stuff), PM me and I'll tell you what he needs to do, provided he has access to AFSAS.

I remember hearing the CVR w/animation of the C-21 crash up @ Ellsworth. The converstion in the cockpit sounded like any given local that you'd be on until the mishap. Definitely had its shock value, and definitely made a lasting impression.

• 5 weeks later...

Our squadron just received the SIB information about this with corresponding HD video and animation... just like other people have said, the word WOW doesn't even come close to describing the emotions we all felt (during both the first and subsequent viewings).

Hopefully, this will serve as a learning tool for all.

The Wing Chief of Safety (a Nav) at Offutt has decided that this does not apply to 135 Pilots and will not release it to the biggest wing in ACC. Shame, looks like we could all learn a lot from this accident.

He's probably just lazy and doesn't want to ask the SE center to send the videos. If he actually watched it he would realize the lessons to be learned apply to ANY flyer.

Guest Crew Report

The Wing Chief of Safety (a Nav) at Offutt has decided that this does not apply to 135 Pilots and will not release it to the biggest wing in ACC. Shame, looks like we could all learn a lot from this accident.

Lack of CRM and following rules doesn't apply to RC guys?

Good to know.