Seeing a Chiropractor

Ferg

Searched to no avail...

I've had on ongoing pain in my neck for the past couple weeks and I've been thinking about going to a chiropractor to try to get them to work it out. Is this something that I can get a referral from TRICARE for, and has anybody tried it?

Dude, I've been to a physical therapist twice in the past two years for back pain. Don't sweat it. Go to a flight doc you trust, downplay the pain so you don't go DNIF, but stress that you think you need to see someone to make sure it doesn't get worse. You'll have a referral by next Monday or Tuesday. But wait for the referral or it will come out of pocket.

• Upvote 1

Good info. Does this work for spouses and dependents as well?

Affirm. Some bases actually have sports therapists/massage therapists employed by the HAWC. If this is the case, they might have you stay on base for help. If not, they will refer you, or your spouse/dependent, off base. Either way, chiropractors/massage therapists are not viewed as witch-doctors by TRICARE, and you can get taken care of. I went to a therapist here in Valdosta and she said that most of her patients were military--especially when IFF was still at Moody.

Affirm. Some bases actually have sports therapists/massage therapists employed by the HAWC. If this is the case, they might have you stay on base for help. If not, they will refer you, or your spouse/dependent, off base. Either way, chiropractors/massage therapists are not viewed as witch-doctors by TRICARE, and you can get taken care of. I went to a therapist here in Valdosta and she said that most of her patients were military--especially when IFF was still at Moody.

Tricare does not cover chiropractic medicine for spouses/dependents at all. It's all out of pocket if they want to see them.

Chiropractic Care

TRICARE does not cover chiropractic care. However, the Chiropractic Care Health Care Program is available to active duty service members (including activated National Guard and Reserve members) at designated military treatment facilities throughout the United States.

Family members, retirees and their family members, unremarried former spouses and survivors are not eligible for this program. They may be referred to non-chiropractic health care services in the Military Health System (e.g., physical therapy or orthopedics) or may seek chiropractic care in the local community at their own expense.

Tricare Overview

Tricare does not cover chiropractic medicine for spouses/dependents at all. It's all out of pocket if they want to see them.

Tricare Overview

I stand corrected. When I was sent off base to a physical therapist last year, they did a lot of the same stuff a chiropractor would do as far as the twisting and cracking, but they also helped with exercises to make things better in the long-run. Either way, they will pay for physical therapists for dependents it sounds like. Ask the doc and they'll do what needs to be done to get a referral for the fam.

I stand corrected. When I was sent off base to a physical therapist last year, they did a lot of the same stuff a chiropractor would do as far as the twisting and cracking, but they also helped with exercises to make things better in the long-run. Either way, they will pay for physical therapists for dependents it sounds like. Ask the doc and they'll do what needs to be done to get a referral for the fam.

Yes, Tricare will send you to go see the Devil (I had to see a PT for 3 months!). If the PT is a DO, then the chances of them doing the bone cracking are much higher then the MD PT's. Or, there are PT's that aren't even MD/DO's.

Some Chiropracters will offer a military discount, since they know the tricare wont cover the cost, and since you are a "cash" pay patient, it usually isn't that expensive.

• 2 years later...

DM has a chiropractor here in the clinic, and he's worth his weight in gold. I see him every 2 weeks...no idea if he's only available for mil, but I've never seen a non-mil member there.

I would take up the offer...I'm still flying & was referred to physical therapy & chiro for my back. Together, they really helped my lower back. Most larger bases/hospitals will have one there. The electric stim they do is nice too.

Recomendation: What ever you do, keep the records and/or get the information into your military medical records. I used the "Lie to Fly" routine for many years, with the flight doc, until I had to get waivers to keep going....the back thing will cut you out of flying aircraft with ejection seats and situps for the AFPT but in the long run, at the end of the career, it is very important that its all documented and can be illustrated that the physical issues were a direct result of your flying as a military aviator. This will help a lot if you manage to stay for 20 or 20+ and check out with the VA to establish service related disability.

• 1 year later...

DM has a chiropractor here in the clinic, and he's worth his weight in gold. I see him every 2 weeks...no idea if he's only available for mil, but I've never seen a non-mil member there.

Any related DNIF's? Every bfm sortie I go on the IP tells me how fucked up my back is going to be one day. If I can do anything preventative (especially a scheduled/routine massage) without running the risk of getting dnif'd or worse, kicked out of the viper, I'd be all over that like stink on shit.

I've never been DNIF'd (for my neck) despite years of chiropractic and PT treatments for my jacked up neck and back. And that includes many years in the F-15 where I saw a chiropractor regularly to deal with the neck pain. Preventive stuff may be more difficult on the governments dime but if you have ANY issues, you can get a referral and still fly as long as it's not 'serious'. The only guys I know that went DNIF had more serious issues such as numbness in an arm or significant loss of range of motion (beyond the normal post-BFM crick in the neck) where they knew they shouldn't/couldn't be flying anyway.

Bottom line, find a flight doc you trust and start getting any neck or back issues in your records and get referrals to get them treated.

I know 3 dudes who have had full up back surgery and were only DNIF'd for the surgery/recovery time...i.e. not "kicked out of" ____ jet. I used to be scared shitless of losing out on flying because of stuff like this, went to a civ chiropractor on my own dime, etc. It's really not as bad as you think it would be...do what RTB said. But at the same time, I wouldn't go to the doc for just a simple "crick" that will go away in a day. If you have to turn your entire upper body to look at someone who's talking to you, that's the time to go see the flight doc.

Chiropractic Clinics are very difficult to find at any AIr Force MTF's. However, we do have over 100 AD Orthopedic Suregons, over 100 AD Physical Therapists. and about 15 AD Occupational Therapists. I've heard of Chiropractic Clinics, and I know AD people who've been to them, but they always say the same two things:

They love getting treatment from them; and

It's very difficult to get an appointment.

The question the average flight doc will ask every time, is what could a chiropractor possibly offer that Physical Therapy and Orthopedics couldn't? Some doctors dismiss chiropractics as the feel good pseudo-medicine mixed support, often anecdotal. I wouldn't entirely disagree with that assessment. I saw a chiropractor prior to entry for an acute musculoskeletal condition and I did improve rapidly. However since entering my career field, I've wondered how much of it was directly because of the chiropractic adjustments, and would I still have recovered to the same degree with a Physical Therapist or simply time away from physical activity and rest?

For the majority of any Air Force personnel, expect to see Physical Therapy for the average injury, and Orthopedics for more sever cases. If you want to see a chiropractor, expect to pay for it yourself, though it isn't too pricey--plus you could also probably get a good bundle deal on incense and loose-leaf tea in the gift shop!

Edited by deaddebate

Deaddebate - Are you saying the AF will no longer send you to an off base chiro and instead force you to see a PT? At least for the ol' 9G neck break, you don't need PT sessions, you just need your damn vertebrae put back the correct way. My experience is dated with this, but I ask since a younger dude in the squadron just F'd his neck enough to say something and I told him check out the chiro. Does the AF have a new gameplan in store for him, and if so, is he about to travel down "bullshit DNIF" lane?

Edited by brabus

Deaddebate - Are you saying the AF will no longer send you to an off base chiro and instead force you to see a PT? At least for the ol' 9G neck break, you don't need PT sessions, you just need your damn vertebrae put back the correct way. My experience is dated with this, but I ask since a younger dude in the squadron just F'd his neck enough to say something and I told him check out the chiro. Does the AF have a new gameplan in store for him, and if so, is he about to travel down "bullshit DNIF" lane?
No, people are still often sent to Chiropractics, but many aren't. Every case is unique; I just wanted to illuminate the hurdles you might face regarding access if there is genuine need to see a chiropractor.

I'd say many of the people trying to see them likely aren't as directly tied to an acute, easily resolved problem as you cited, but chronic knee/back pain complaints that don't resolve after extensive use of PT/Ortho/Pain Management, and are now seeking chronic Chiropractic care. For many people, the Air Force can't definitively allow someone with debilitating conditions to remain on unrestricted mobility qualification status as Chiro/Pain Mgmt/Ortho/PT just are too specialized for in-theater support.

Finally, I was searching a for a reg on an unrelated matter, and I found this: http://www.health.mil/libraries/HA_Policies_and_Guidelines/13-001.pdf

Lots of physical therapists are qualified to do "adjustments" and have worked for me as we'll as the chiro did.

Back at base x in the good old days, the PT used to swing by the squadron once a week and crack everyone, sts, on the floor of the bar. Certainly helped everyone feel better but didn't fix my underlying disc degeneration. I needed disc fusion surgery ultimately.

This is the one upside to the sequester. If your unit isn't flying, this is the right time to get all that nagging shit checked out at the flight doc since being DNIF is moot when there are no more flight hours.

• 6 months later...

seen a chiropractor since high school. Having a active multisport life in high school and college, then all the pulling Gs in UPT put a strain on my neck and back. Seeing a chiropractor every month or two helped immensely with muscle tightness ect. Look at the reviews for the chiropractors, and when you are there if you ever feel uncomfortable stop them, they usually understand people are hesistang about people adjusting spines and necks. If its not in your medical records they'll never know. There is a certain Flt Doc at a base that I was at that wouldn't send me to see a chiropractor, so I went under the table on my own dime.

I also used to think they were witch docs...until I couldn't move my nugget for about 4 days and finally gave in. I was surprised and thankful for the results. Go on your own dime, don't mention it to anyone in the af and you'll be fine. I went that route a few times until after getting my wings; then I figured I was "in" and went to the flight doc a couple times since....no problems, no DNIF.

A friend of mine who use to work in flight medicine was saying this could cause me to be DNIF by going without consulting with a flight doc first.

False

I've never been to a chiropractor and frankly I've always thought they are witch doctors. Does anyone have any personal experience? Is it just a waist of money?

I've been to one on several occasions for neck pain. It doesn't solve the problem immediately, but the issue has always tended to go away shortly after.

Oh yeah chiropractor may require a couple visits or some recuperation time after. You may walk out of there or wake up the next morning feeling 10x worse, but it's sometimes one of those things will get worse before it gets better.

I also used to think they were witch docs...until I couldn't move my nugget for about 4 days and finally gave in. I was surprised and thankful for the results.

Same here. I literally could not turn my neck to the right. Was referred by the flight doc and didn't want to go but one crack and I could move again.

Might be worth noting that about 10 years later, after years of intense discomfort, I finally needed neck surgery due to fix everything I'd destroyed over the years, so you may have real underlying problems that a good crack can't fix, sts.

Edited by Danny Noonin