Fighting Flamingos

Toro

I originally posted this as a response to the New Weapon School Patch thread, but moved it so as to not draw too much from that discussion. I absolutely wish I was joking about this.

20081218Photo9a.jpg

Wouldn't you like to be a Flamingo too? (Click here for story)

Story and photo by Capt. Megan A. Schafer

435th Air Base Wing Public Affairs

Many KMC members may have been puzzled in the last few months by the new phrase used to describe 435th Air Base Wing Airmen – “fighting flamingos.” And though a pink bird may seem like a gentler creature than a wolverine or other mascots used to empower today’s warfighters, it’s the corresponding legacy that makes it a perfect match.

“The Flamingo Wing originated in Florida because the 435th Troop Carrier Wing, Medium – our historical wing lineage – originated at the Miami International Airport,” said Jory Vandenburg, 435th ABW historian. “And as many well know, there are lots of flamingos in Florida.”

Most Airmen can understand the simple association between flamingos and the heritage from Miami, however wing leadership thought that a visual representation – a mascot – was needed to fully embrace the concept.

So a logo contest was initiated, with the bounty of 30-day rights to a colonel parking spot in the KMC.

“I wanted a mascot that blended our proud history going back over 60 years and the warrior spirit I see throughout our great wing every day. I think this caricature does this, and will give us our own unique identity and stronger esprit de corps,” said Col. Don Bacon, 435th ABW commander. “This great wing fought at Normandy and the Battle of Bulge, and over 60 years later our Airmen are supporting Operations Iraqi and Enduring Freedom.”

Dozens of talented individuals went to task to create a suitable mascot, but only one was selected. “We had nearly 20 great entries and the enthusiasm was awesome. I’m constantly amazed at the talent of our Airmen,” said Chief Master Sgt. Mitch Stippel, 435th ABW command chief. “I was a little skeptical of the whole pink flamingo thing, however, the winning design is awesome and I’ll show it off proudly.”

In the end, it was the drawing provided by Airman 1st Class Zach Gray, 435th Medical Group, that was selected. Also, Michael Sander, 435th Services Squadron graphic artist, helped provide some coloring and touch up to get the flamingo ready for presentation.

“We’re already planning coins and shirts,” Chief Stippel said. “I’ve spotted the Fightin’ Flamingo proudly framed on walls around the wing. Beware ... the Fightin’ Flamingo is gaining momentum and taking off.”

Though Airmen may not see a flock of flamingo tattoos throughout the KMC, they cannot argue that it provides a unique representation of the wing and its heritage. “Being a member of the 435th ABW makes you a ‘Fightin’ Flamingo’ and part of a very proud tradition that continues today,” Colonel Bacon said.

Fightin’ flamingos … swift ’n sure ... and lethal!

I know whoever came up with this was thinking, "hmm, what was a 'cool' mascot we used back in ROTC...I know, the Foxtrot Flamingos!...wait, I'll make it even more 'combat'...Fighting Flamingos!...O-6, here I come!"

UFB :rainbow:

Edited by brabus

I about pissed my pants when I read this:

...said Jory Vandenburg, 435th ABW historian. “And as many well know, there are lots of flamingos in Florida.”

No sh*t?! Thanks for the update Jeff Corwin...

you know what else there's a lot of in Miami Florida?

cosmopolitan-guinness.jpg

well...I guess it could be worse...the flamingo's hand could be in a metal gauntlet, grasping some lightning bolts and an olive branch...