WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

"...many Marines with idle time could have been assigned to guard duty. Instead, some of them took online college classes and others worked out in the gym twice a day."

Hmmm. So there's a war going on over there? I thought deployments were for catching up on my PME, getting a tan and getting in shape...

I read they they (the NPS) tried to close Mount Vernon...which despite being a national historic landmark and supported in part by the National Park system, is actually owned and operatrd by a non-profit historical group. After the NPS barriers went up, there was an argument between park police and the Mt Vernon group and they took the barriers down...but then the NPS closed the parking lots. Apparently to parking lots are co-owned by Mt Vernon and the NPS. UFB...a parking lot!

"Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich tweeted pictures showing NPS barricades closing off the bus turn-around near Mount Vernon, even though that site is privately owned and funded and is open during the shutdown. Blogger Stephen Gutowski of College Politico tweeted that Mount Vernon officials confirmed that the NPS shut down their parking lots Tuesday morning which are co-owned by Mount Vernon and the NPS. The NPS eventually reopened those lots after complaints from Mount Vernon officials."

http://c.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/between-errands-april-thompson/2013/oct/3/shutdown-dramatics-pull-private-managers-public-la/

They are trying to shut down parks they neither run nor own, including parks that have never been shut down during previous government shutdowns.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/10/03/Obama-Forcing-Shut-Down-of-Parks-the-Feds-Don-t-Even-Fund

All I can say is good, makes him look like he's throwing a temper tantrum.

It's sad that the country has gotten to a point where you have to record everything...but at the same time, if you do, it does reveal some 'interesting' things. I'd be seriously pissed if a postal worker did this to my property.

One of our part time weapons guys is a postal worker and the stories he tells (as well as this story) are a testament to unions breeding laziness. My guess is the union will protect this person and not much will happen.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/switzerland-to-vote-on--2-800-monthly-‘basic-income’-minimum-for-adults-181937885.html

Screw Obamacare and all the other welfare programs. Let's just do this Swiss style and vote to give every adult a minimum of $2800/mo income straight from the govt on top of their free healthcare!

It's sad that the country has gotten to a point where you have to record everything...but at the same time, if you do, it does reveal some 'interesting' things. I'd be seriously pissed if a postal worker did this to my property.

Story

What a lazy ass. If she could learn to throw better, she wouldn't have to unbuckle and get out of the truck to begin with.

• Upvote 1

"Before service in Afghanistan Lauren Kay Johnson, a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force, said she was a fun-loving woman who would organize potluck and karaoke nights for friends.

But when she returned from her nine month-deployment in March 2010, the Seattle native struggled to get to grips with civilian life as the memories of war haunted her."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2443741/Female-officer-service-Afghanistan-took-emotional-toll.html

Synopsis: PA officer deployed to Afghanistan for 9 month...apparently her only deployment of her career. Now she says she has a hard time coping with her experiences, which included limited Internet service, bad food, and the threat of possible attacks. She stated sometimes she can talk about it, but often she can't.

As someone who's been deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan for a total of more than 29 months (to include 12 months as an advisor) and been shot at, this comes across to me as a joke.

"Before service in Afghanistan Lauren Kay Johnson, a lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force, said she was a fun-loving woman who would organize potluck and karaoke nights for friends.

But when she returned from her nine month-deployment in March 2010, the Seattle native struggled to get to grips with civilian life as the memories of war haunted her."

http://www.dailymail...ional-toll.html

Synopsis: PA officer deployed to Afghanistan for 9 month...apparently her only deployment of her career. Now she says she has a hard time coping with her experiences, which included limited Internet service, bad food, and the threat of possible attacks. She stated sometimes she can talk about it, but often she can't.

As someone who's been deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan for a total of more than 29 months (to include 12 months as an advisor) and been shot at, this comes across to me as a joke.

I can sympathize with Lauren; I get PTSD every time I think about the spotty wifi coverage I've had at Yokota during my past TDYs. War is hell.

• Upvote 3

Was sorry to read she was stationed at Hurlburt. :vomit: She must truly have no idea what dudes outside the wire consistently experience and how cushy it is by comparison to be stationed at Bagram or KAF.

Was sorry to read she was stationed at Hurlburt. :vomit: She must truly have no idea what dudes outside the wire consistently experience and how cushy it is by comparison to be stationed at Bagram or KAF.

I'm sure the Dems will bring her in front of a Senate committee since 'sexual assault was a constant worry for her' since she heard the stories and heard vulgar language. It definitely fits the narrative of the 'war on women'. Had she complained that they were out of stock of her favorite birth control then they really would have noticed and this would be front page news on the Huffington Post.

• Upvote 1

Whether or not she has PTSD is really none of my business. It is my business to call her fucking stupid for giving interviews on the subject. Some of the comments at the bottom of that article hit the nail on the nugget. Outspoken weakness like hers gives ammunition to those who think women aren't tough enough for combat. Of course she had to throw a tidbit about sexual assault in there for good measure. I'm surprised she didn't go ahead and blame it on a pilot.

I can sympathize with Lauren; I get PTSD every time I think about the spotty wifi coverage I've had at Yokota during my past TDYs. War is hell.

You think Yokota is bad? Try Camp Casey down on Okinawa. They've only got wifi in the lobby, and it's 56K dial up speed at best.

Wouldn't be so bad but now that I am a contractor I have higher standards! Next time I'm staying at the Marriott!

Mother Russia doesn't allow fire in Moscow. These Olympics might be slightly more entertaining than a normal winter Olympics. Hopefully.

Funny, but not real. Believe it or not, I've actually ran two segments of 2004 Athens Summer Olympics torch relay. It's nothing like that video...there are support runners all around you, vehicles front and back (to include a media truck full of cameras that drives in front of the torch bearer) and guys on motorcycles cutting through the route ensuring each relay goes as planned. There is also a back-up in case a runner's torch gets extinguished. It happens on occasion, but the torch is simply re-lit and goes on.

Samsung was the primary sponsor of the relay that year, and was kind enough to let us keep our torches (which cost about €300 apiece, if I remember correctly).

Cheers! M2

You think Yokota is bad? Try Camp Casey down on Okinawa. They've only got wifi in the lobby, and it's 56K dial up speed at best.

Wouldn't be so bad but now that I am a contractor I have higher standards! Next time I'm staying at the Marriott!

I've lived through that nightmare, brother; it's the closest I've been to trench warfare. We lost a lot of good men in that lobby.