WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

Man, what a well written article. No bias at all there. It would be interesting to find out what those "jerkholes" are actually proposing.

Maybe allowing teachers to stop students who are harassing gay students? The anti-bullying legislation is available online for any number of states. These people just want their kids to have the ability to call gay kids "faggot" and tell them they are going to hell...you know, standard stuff that's really good for building a healthy self-image.

Guest Grind

This is ing disgusting. Where's Al Sharpton during this incident? He lost no time jumping to defend the Trayvon bullshit.

Land of the double standard.

Barney, next St Patty's day you guys need to have a 2-ship in the stack for shit like this. Or one AC-130. Or both.

This is ######ing disgusting. Where's Al Sharpton during this incident? He lost no time jumping to defend the Trayvon bullshit.

He's barely got time to deal with the Trayvon issue. He's out trying to get justice and reparations for the Duke lacrosse players and continue to speak out against Marion Barry in DC.

Guest Grind

Why are you implying race is involved? If there was video of a black man being beaten and stripped by a bunch of white folks while people sat around laughing, I'm sure there wouldn't be any protests at all.

Please.....

Maybe allowing teachers to stop students who are harassing gay students? The anti-bullying legislation is available online for any number of states. These people just want their kids to have the ability to call gay kids "faggot" and tell them they are going to hell...you know, standard stuff that's really good for building a healthy self-image.

Oh good. Anti-bullying legislation. Just what this country needs. More legislation. Someone tell me which schools in this country currently prohibit teachers from stopping students from harassing anyone, including gay students. What kind of asinine logic concludes we need new legislation to "allow" teachers to stop students harassing other students when they already have that authority and responsibility?

Of course, outside of school, if anyone wants to call someone else names and tell them they are going to hell, we already have a law governing that too. It shows up really early in our Constitution. And last time I checked, teaching the Constitution was still allowed in school. It apparently just isn't done very well. But I'm not going to suggest anyone introduce legislation to do that either.

Oh good. Anti-bullying legislation. Just what this country needs. More legislation. Someone tell me which schools in this country currently prohibit teachers from stopping students from harassing anyone, including gay students. What kind of asinine logic concludes we need new legislation to "allow" teachers to stop students harassing other students when they already have that authority and responsibility?

Of course, outside of school, if anyone wants to call someone else names and tell them they are going to hell, we already have a law governing that too. It shows up really early in our Constitution. And last time I checked, teaching the Constitution was still allowed in school. It apparently just isn't done very well. But I'm not going to suggest anyone introduce legislation to do that either.

Ignorance. Pick up a book once in awhile and learn something.

Anti-bullying legislation is aimed at teachers and administrators who fail to investigate or stop bullying.

Hopefully your kid will never get harassed to the point they end their own life while administrators turn a blind eye to the harassment occurring under their watch.

This is fucking disgusting. Where's Al Sharpton during this incident? He lost no time jumping to defend the Trayvon bullshit.

No need. You're doing a good enough job filling in for him.

• Upvote 1

Baltimore tourist beaten and stripped naked as onlookers encourage the perps.

Spike Lee said to be enroute to start a rally for the victim and film Do the Right Thing pt 2.

http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/caught_on_video_crowd_laughs_as_tourist_beaten_stripped_and_robbed

If you're going to walk down the dude attempting to rob you I recommend putting your dukes up first.

If you're going to walk down the dude attempting to rob you I recommend putting your dukes up first.

Or just don't go romping around downtown Baltimore drunk (or sober) after the sun sets. At least until the AC-130 is in orbit.

Ignorance. Pick up a book once in awhile and learn something.

Anti-bullying legislation is aimed at teachers and administrators who fail to investigate or stop bullying.

Hopefully your kid will never get harassed to the point they end their own life while administrators turn a blind eye to the harassment occurring under their watch.

Classic. Someone who doesn't even bother to read what I wrote and the context in which I wrote it tells me to read a book. It is ironic that the least perceptive people are usually the first to demand other people get educated. With that in mind... no, anti-bullying legislation is NOT "aimed at teachers and administrators who fail to investigate or stop bullying". In fact, most of the legislation isn't really "aimed" at all. Like hate-crime laws, most anti-bullying legislation is a feel good effort that causes more confusion than anything else. Do you just make stuff up, or rely on poorly written internet blogs to get your information?

With regard to my own kids...bullying prevention starts at home with parents communicating with their children. I know personal responsibility is a foreign concept to the liberal side of our culture, but it works amazingly well. If you aren't familar...maybe you could read a book.

With that in mind... no, anti-bullying legislation is NOT "aimed at teachers and administrators who fail to investigate or stop bullying". In fact, most of the legislation isn't really "aimed" at all. Like hate-crime laws, most anti-bullying legislation is a feel good effort that causes more confusion than anything else. Do you just make stuff up, or rely on poorly written internet blogs to get your information?

Yawn

Here's New Jersey's anti bullying law as an example:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2010/Bills/A3500/3466_S1.PDF

Here's some highlights-

"Provides that a school administrator who fails to initiate or conduct an investigation of an incident, or who should have known of an incident and fails to take action, is subject to discipline;"

"Provides that a school employee or contracted service provider must file a written report with the school principal within two days of observing or being made aware of an act of harassment, intimidation, or bullying;"

Yeah that's not aimed at administration or teachers. /sarcasm

I'm sorry, does an ACTUAL anti-bullying law count as good enough source material for you?

You're right it does start at home... that doesn't mean schools can let anything go under their watch.

Yawn

http://www.njleg.sta...500/3466_S1.PDF

Here's some highlights-

"Provides that a school administrator who fails to initiate or conduct an investigation of an incident, or who should have known of an incident and fails to take action, is subject to discipline;"

"Provides that a school employee or contracted service provider must file a written report with the school principal within two days of observing or being made aware of an act of harassment, intimidation, or bullying;"

I'm sorry, does an ACTUAL anti-bullying law count as good enough source material for you?

You're right it does start at home... that doesn't mean schools can let anything go under their watch.

If this is followed, the teachers will spend all their time filling out paperwork instead of prepping for actually teaching. I cannot tell you how much a teacher hears in the hallway walking to a class. Most of the time, a simple "knock it off" stops what can be stopped. All this paperwork is part of the reason I got out of teaching...but then again, I became a pilot with just as much, if not more, paperwork.

Yawn

http://www.njleg.sta...500/3466_S1.PDF

Here's some highlights-

An "ACTUAL anti-bullying law" is a great source. But you linked to a 2010 summary of amendments to New Jersey's actual anti-bullying law first passed in 2002. My kids attended school in New Jersey when the 2002 law was passed. It was big news window dressing then that contained little meat and no funding, but did manage to confuse the heck out of school officials, and since then it gets conveniently updated everytime there is another highly publicized bullying incident in New Jersey schools.

Here's a SYNOPSIS of the actual law:

Synopsis: 2002 New Jersey Laws, AB 1874, Requires each school district to adopt a policy prohibiting harassment, intimidation or bullying on school property, at a school-sponsored function or on a school bus. The policy must include a definition of bullying behavior, consequences for engaging in such behavior, a procedure for investigation of reports of such behavior, a statement prohibiting retaliation or reprisal against persons reporting bullying behavior and consequences for making a false accusation. Requires school employees, students or volunteers to report any incidents of bullying, intimidation and harassment to appropriate school officials. Grants immunity from any cause of action for damages arising from a failure to remedy the reported incident to persons reporting these incidents.

The law is very broad, uselessly vague, and "aimed" at anything and everyone having to do with education. NOT at teachers and administrators who "failed to investigate or stop bullying".

Edited by Rokke

The law is very broad, uselessly vague, and "aimed" at anything and everyone having to do with education. NOT at teachers and administrators who "failed to investigate or stop bullying".

So who do you think is punished if/when it's discovered that a teacher or administrator failed to follow the law?

Does this portion not mean an administrator is responsible?

(6) a procedure for prompt investigation of reports of violations and complaints, identifying either the principal or the principal's designee as the person responsible for the investigation;

Is this not aimed at teachers and other school employees?

c. A school employee who promptly reports an incident of harassment, intimidation or bullying, to the appropriate school official designated by the school district's policy, and who makes this report in compliance with the procedures in the district's policy, is immune from a cause of action for damages arising from any failure to remedy the reported incident.

In other words if they fail to report an incident they are not immune from a cause of action...

Doesn't sound vague to me. Sounds like the Principal or designee is responsible to investigate alleged bully incidents and teachers (and other school employees) are required to report (I will admit the word "promptly" is vague) an incident or they could be sued as well.

Edited by Vertigo

So who do you think is punished if/when it's discovered that a teacher or administrator failed to follow the law?

I know who is punished. Nobody. That is why the laws are nothing more than legislative feel good efforts. They lack the clarity to stand up in court, and despite all the anti-bully laws on the books, I challenge you to find any school employee who has been found guilty of violating them. The New Jersey anti-bully law was nearly nullified in March because several school districts challenged it as an unfunded mandate and won. The governor had to throw a million bucks into the budget to fund it, but that probably won't be enough. Meanwhile, school administrators in New Jersey say the law is causing such an administrative nightmare it is counterproductive to its intent and keeping them from doing the kind of hands on supervision actually required to maintain discipline.

I'm sure you probably picked New Jersey at random, but dig a little deeper into the impact of its anti-bully law. It proves my point in spades. Government legislation is not the answer. In fact, it has created even more problems.

• Upvote 1

What happened to Freedom of Speech?

What has happened to self-esteem? Why are people driven to suicide because of what other people say about them?

No amount of legislative nonsense is going to resolve this issue. Harassment extends beyond school, and teachers and administrators cannot protect their students on Facebook, the bus, or wherever else it happens. Like Rokke said, all of these laws are "feel good efforts."

• Upvote 3

What has happened to self-esteem? Why are people driven to suicide because of what other people say about them?

No amount of legislative nonsense is going to resolve this issue. Harassment extends beyond school, and teachers and administrators cannot protect their students on Facebook, the bus, or wherever else it happens. Like Rokke said, all of these laws are "feel good efforts."

Huh, and I had you pegged as a self defined "intellectual" Good show. As far as your answer, look at their parents.

Freedom of speech does not equal freedom from consequences of your speech.

When someone elects to be a douche and makes a spectacle of themselves (burglar pride parades and the like) and then gets made fun of, that's on them. A kid at school getting made fun of for being fat, weird, dork, etc isn't a good thing but it's been going on for years and additional laws aren't the solution.

Huh, and I had you pegged as a self defined "intellectual" Good show. As far as your answer, look at their parents.

Hmm? I do not consider myself an intellectual. Mostly because I do not know English well enough to completely understand your post.

Freedom of speech does not equal freedom from consequences of your speech.

Should we censor this board from using abusive language? What good would that do?

To anyone that thinks some kids are bothered by consequences, read this article: http://www.aolnews.com/2010/10/09/a/

Suzana Vidovic found her sister's body hanging over the front lawn. The family watched, she said, as the girls who had tormented Sladjana for months walked up to the casket - and laughed.

"They were laughing at the way she looked," Suzana says, crying. "Even though she died."

Getting reprimanded at school by teachers and administrators is not going to stop bullies. They are not affected by their actions and introducing "laws" to try and prevent these suicides does nothing. They have no shame nor respect.

Edited by Masshole