Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

I was always under the impression that you could wear white socks with your boots when wearing the bag. I always do. What changed?

And for doing a "sock inspection" how :rainbow: can you get. The last time anyone checked that was when I was an OT at OTS. I thought I was done with that BS.

AFI 36-2903:

3.2.9. Socks. White socks may be worn with boots. During exercises and contingencies, wear black

socks, or black socks over the white socks to preclude white socks from showing. Socks should be

made of cotton or wool.

An all time low has been reached my friends......

Every time I hear of some stupid rule, I think it can't get any worse. They threw us out of the chow hall at 0001 on 1 Oct for not wearing PTs, and now they check your sock color.

I thoght the whole point of the PT gear was to pack less. Now you've gotta pack more socks? Maybe AAFES is overstocked on black socks now? Do they have to be black, or sand colored or puke green to match the new boot color? Somebody make it stop.

"Contingency"...gotta love it. 6 years and a week of non-stop war on terror, and your socks have to be white because it's a contingency. I know, because as a tanker pilot, I need to be concerned with sanitized patches and white socks. God forbid they catch me with a morale patch and white socks. They'll probably cut my head off on Al Jazeera. But, if I'm in compliance with AFI36-2903, maybe they'll let me go. I think that's in the Genevan Convention. Don't sign anything, and wear black socks. Wow.

Anyone else ever get a sock check?

Sock check. :rainbow: est thing I've ever heard of. I can't wait to get deployed! Is there any part of being deployed that DOESN'T suck? Actually, don't tell me, because then the AF will find out about it and try to fix it.

Yeah, right. "Fix it". I will give you some advice. If you find that one (or maybe two) thing(s) that you may enjoy and consider a good deal while you're deployed, savor that mofo because there is a 99.69% chance that some douche with a lot of brass will decide to get rid of it if he finds out it actually promotes morale.

Sock checks! :thumbsup:

Spent a few months at Balad with no sock checks or tuck nazis. Smaller place with less pissed off SNCOs I guess. You only saluted in PT gear at the recognition of rank, whatever that means. One thing that did suck about Balad is that you had to wear tennis shoes to and from the shower trailers, no Crocs or Flip Flops except when you were actually in the trailer. They were talking about changing the shoe reg before we left, but I'm not sure if it made it thru.

One thing that did suck about Balad is that you had to wear tennis shoes to and from the shower trailers, no Crocs or Flip Flops except when you were actually in the trailer. They were talking about changing the shoe reg before we left, but I'm not sure if it made it thru.

The no Crocs or Flip Flops to and from the shower rule is alive and well here at Balad!

One thing that did suck about Balad is that you had to wear tennis shoes to and from the shower trailers, no Crocs or Flip Flops except when you were actually in the trailer.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE FSM! Just another of many dumb F'ing reasons I will never volunteer to go back over there.

Clearly you've never flown into ORBD during an AEF swap-out.

FourFans

Been there and done that dance. The problem isn't the flying, it's the waiting for ATOC to figure out how to load the damn jet properly. I guess it's bad to assume cargo stateside would be anything like the containers in the AOR.

Tucking in the shirt is in full effect at the Deid... that's for sure. Another thing, apparently, as an air crew member, you cannot wear a Balad Air Base cowboy hat, in you PT's, on your last day of deployment because, and I quote "You've not earned the right to wear that hat." No joke.

Also, didn't have much a problem with the sock nazi's at the Deid and open toe sandals were good to go, so long as they had a heel strap. At Ali Al Salem, or what many will refer to as BR-OKAS, you may untuck your PT shirt while working out.

BTW, don't ever put your sunglasses on your head. A fun game to play, regardless of deployment location, is to walk into a well crowded area and leave your shades on your head and have an over/under for how many seconds it will take for a brave Airmen, bored NCO or high flying officer to tell you to take them off your head... good stuff.

Last thing, I did get an explaination as to why I had to keep, actually retuck my PT shirt, whilst I was in the middle of working out. "It's the right thing to do and there are Airmen around... set the example." Classy stuff; I was inspired.

My favorite two things to do are:

1) see if you can get your laundry and come all the way back to your trailer with your shirt untucked. (I made it once)

2) wear your sunglasses over your eyes indoors... since, you can't wear them on your head or around your neck w/out a strap, just wear them like normal

just some more "dumbness at the deid"

My crew and I definately pushed it in our last died trip (got back 3 days ago.) My copilot kept getting called out for crap, I didnt for some reason.

I am such a rebel. I wore flip flops TO and FROM the pool! OUCH!! And I actually wore a moral patch the WHOLE TIME! And I never WORE A REFLECTIVE BELT!!

On a side note, besides the living quarters, Died is far better for stupid crap than Manas was. You had a card they marked for beer vs. scanning your ID (hence NO chance for anymore than 2). No longer do you have to wear reflective belts in the Coalition Compound. And, I have heard that the decision was made that Aircrew and permanent party gets the new dorms, and they seemed very sure (from the General) that they would be operational in January.

By the way, I had my morale patch made there, and it simply said "ADULT." Just cuz sometimes, people need a reminder. Made a great point, that people noticed.

On the reflective belt topic, we did a short layover in Al Dafrah, and as I walked to the chow hall across the flight line, some SGT ran up to me and my co and said "do you guys have your reflective gear? (like "gear" makes it cooler to say than "belt)"

Me: Nope

Maintenance ass: "I think it is very prudent to have reflective gear when walking across a dark ramp" (by the way, Dahfra's ramp isnt dark.

Me: "Ok thanks, ill keep that in mind"

I walked away, and the Maintenance dude had a shocked look on his face. End of story. Hence, just say no, and you'd be surprised, if we all do it, it just may go away.

Stiffler signing off. Happy to be home

BTW, don't ever put your sunglasses on your head. A fun game to play, regardless of deployment location, is to walk into a well crowded area and leave your shades on your head and have an over/under for how many seconds it will take for a brave Airmen, bored NCO or high flying officer to tell you to take them off your head... good stuff.

Tried that the last time I was at Ali, I swear it was about 2 seconds. The guy was sitting at the first table as you come into the chow hall. Good Times. I do have to say that the new chow hall at Ali is pretty nice, all clean and stuff, still not 24 hours though.

Tried that the last time I was at Ali, I swear it was about 2 seconds. The guy was sitting at the first table as you come into the chow hall. Good Times. I do have to say that the new chow hall at Ali is pretty nice, all clean and stuff, still not 24 hours though.

Just tell "them" that you are flying tonight and trying to get your eyes ready...bright lights will adversely affect your night vision and it wouldn't be safe to remove your glasses at this time, but thanks for looking out for me! That should be good for a few laughs.

some SGT ran up to me and my co and said "do you guys have your reflective gear?

See, you missed your opportunity. 9 times out of 10, a nazi confronting you has something wrong on his uniform as well. If he's going to come confront you about your reflective belt, you might want to ask him if "Do you guys" is the best way to address two officers you don't know.

No longer do you have to wear reflective belts in the Coalition Compound.

And this is a good example of the above point. After this reg came down, I'd still have people ask me why I wasn't wearing a reflective belt while walking to chow. I always answered, "What is the regulation?" and walked away before they could answer.

HD

Stiff

Did the goof actually say "prudent?" What a jerkoff.gif

And where did you get the 'Adult' morale patches?

Cheers! M2

M2,

In fact, yes, he did say "prudent" which we in fact agreed was gay as hell.

I just went to the patch store and told them that I wanted "adult" patches made. They were four bucks a piece, and I got two. I may order more and sell them at cost, someone has to make the point!

Stiff

Did the goof actually say "prudent?" What a jerkoff.gif

And where did you get the 'Adult' morale patches?

Cheers! M2

You can pick them up next to the BX; it's in the FedEx trailor. They've some cool pre-made patches or you can design your own and have it made.

• 1 month later...

never been stationed at the deid but foolish people make their way onto every air base in the AOR. a few months ago i was walking to chow with my crew in balad, and a SUV rolls up on us and we hear a whistle. it was a first shirt from the fighter squadron trying to get my engineers attention. well i walk over there with him, and this guy says "hey airman (to my eng) i dont think the reflective air force logo on the back of your PT gear is as reflective as everyone elses. did you buy counterfit pt gear?" its one of the stupidest things i have ever heard. long story short, being the AC i had to handle this guy before my eng said something to aggrivate the situation. what the shirt wanted was for us to call little rock clothing sales (where the offending uniform was purchased) and ask the manager to be sure they are only purchasing pt gear from an approved seller.

needless to say i responded "ok shirt, we'll handle it" and walked away. people don't complain about long days and hot ass sun, mortars and not having enough food. people complain about having to deal with bullshit like this.

Next person who "does the 'Died" will have to grab a couple of these adult patches for me. Not much chance of me getting out there anymore, now that I'm a longhaired, overpaid contractor (I know there are probably a lot of them running around there, just not me. And it's a great gig, as I haven't had anyone tell me I needed "reflective gear" in almost two years!).

Cheers! M2

people don't complain about long days and hot ass sun, mortars and not having enough food. people complain about having to deal with bullshit like this.

You are absolutely right. Shortly after we got de-activated and all the plans were being thrown around to get volunteers to step up for desert rotations our OG asked who would volunteer for this "Plan A"? After the meeting let out I just so happened to be walking down the sidewalk with said OG. Your line is almost a direct quote of my conversation with the OG. My stand is that I would love to go back over for the flying but it will take a presidential order before you'll see my @ss over there again as long as this kind of crap is going on.