Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

Our other ARMS troop was getting on the bus to come to work. He's sitting there in his ABU's, minding his own business, and he gets out his iPod to pass the time on the bus ride (I'm sure we've all been there, done that). As I'm sure you can guess, some DD yells at him for having headphones on while in uniform.

This happens on the trains to the Pentagon too.

Side note- does anyone know the reg # for customs and courtesies?

some DD yells at him for having headphones on while in uniform.

So I guess we violate this rule every time we fly? Ridiculous.

Anybody have a PDF copy of the Deid uniform reg? I feel like laughing at some stupidity. Maybe I can print it out and wipe my a$$ with it.

Our other ARMS troop was getting on the bus to come to work. He's sitting there in his ABU's, minding his own business, and he gets out his iPod to pass the time on the bus ride (I'm sure we've all been there, done that). As I'm sure you can guess, some DD yells at him for having headphones on while in uniform.

So, what have we learned here?

- Walking and talking on a cellphone, in uniform = OK, IAW 36-290biteme.

- Sitting quietly with iPod earbuds in, in uniform = not OK, IAW... uhhh... anyone got a reference?

*edit: iPod wear while in duty uniform is not OK IAW the posted AUAB sup. But for fuck's sakes... a little perspective???

Noted. :banghead::flipoff:

The lack of perspective shown by the "leadership" is appalling. Every time I read this thread, it makes me even more impressed that in spite of the best efforts of the "leadership", the job gets done downrange.

Edited by JarheadBoom

Toilet paper attached.

It's one thing to read the posts, but to actually see the regulations makes the situation seem even more asinine. Too many "Commanders" and no, or at least not enough, "Leaders".

The 'Deid, it seems the whole Air Force needs a real Leader - not a career-minded polititian - but someone, like I mentioned a page before, who realizes that it's the mission that matters and would be willing to "let their mustache grow out" and set an example of what is really important.

But what the hell do I know. I'm just an old crew chief.

The worst part is that it wasn't always like that in Qatar. This is the first commander ever deployed to Doha (seen wearing the typical off-duty 'uniform' of the day, having lunch "in" our initial chow hall).

w12.jpg

Jed Nelson - 'Forgotten 1000' won't soon forget the man they proudly called their 'boss'.

Jed started his career flying Phantoms in Vietnam and ended up flying 16's in Iraq. He ran our base with the attitude that, in general, if regulations didn't specifically forbid it - and it made sense to do - it was fair game (and if they did forbid it, it was at least open to debate...) Just once did our SVS commander try to pull some REMF crap and we were all there when he performed an immediate 'attitude adjustment' on the Captain. It was good to see just how well a unit could run when everyone's only goal was the Mission.

I agree with HU&W, why would anyone iron a 'floppy' hat?!?

So do people actually iron their floppy hats? Do they use starch so they can look like TI's? There's got to be a reason that's in there...

I think it's less to prevent people from starching it, and more to prevent the creative rolling of the hats...There's the "Crocodile Dundee", where you crease just one side of the hat stright up, the "Vietnam", where you roll the sides of your hat up, and the "Gilligan", where you flatten the front of the hat (when done correctly, you shouldn't be able to see the rank on the hat behind the brim).

the "Gilligan", where you flatten the front of the hat (when done correctly, you shouldn't be able to see the rank on the hat behind the brim).

'Round here, we call that the "Corporal Agarn" (he's the one on the left).

M2, CH and the rest of the old guys will remember the show...

Agarn_and_ORourke_F_Troop_blackandwhite.jpg

Edited by Scooter14

So do people actually iron their floppy hats? Do they use starch so they can look like TI's? There's got to be a reason that's in there...

We've got a crew at ASAB that starched and ironed their boony caps as an dig at the base honor guard types who do the same, without the crewdog sense of irony.

the "Gilligan", where you flatten the front of the hat (when done correctly, you shouldn't be able to see the rank on the hat behind the brim)

The Gilligan is one of my favorites. I've even thought of getting rank sewn on the bottom of the brim so that I can wear it up and still have rank visible for the DDs.

I think the sand is rotting my brain.

Edited by GearMonkey

'Round here, we call that the "Corporal Agarn" (he's the one on the left).

M2, CH and the rest of the old guys will remember the show...

Agarn_and_ORourke_F_Troop_blackandwhite.jpg

F Troop.....one of the great shows. I remember it and I'm not nearly as old as M2.

4.1.7.2. Soiled/sweaty PT Uniform will not be worn inside EFSS Service/Service Support facilities, except those designated for physical training activities.

While walking around the Deid in August, day or night, when aren't you "sweaty?" So I can be turned away from the chow hall because I broke a sweat while walking from the BX to the chow hall? :banghead:

While walking around the Deid in August, day or night, when aren't you "sweaty?" So I can be turned away from the chow hall because I broke a sweat while walking from the BX to the chow hall? :banghead:

Fortunately, you are apparently allowed to be sweaty in a flight suit...just not in PT gear.

I'm giving serious consideration to just walking around in civvies...you ever see a contractor get stopped for any reason?

Management tried pulling that at ASAB in '07. The sock-checkers/hand-washing over-seers would send people away if they were sweaty. I shit you negative.

BTW, timeframe was the middle of the summer.

Guest guard/reserve hopeful

Fortunately, you are apparently allowed to be sweaty in a flight suit...just not in PT gear.

I'm giving serious consideration to just walking around in civvies...you ever see a contractor get stopped for any reason?

I thought of wearing the civvies as well, even got my civ DOD ID from my real job in the event I did get stopped. But you know what the ironic part is? There are actually people (first shirt types and so on) from my own squadron that would recognize me and be the ones to rat me out. Sad but true that the DD's have indoctrinated some of our own internal reservists.

Done, twice, each for 3 day stints (rotating into Iraq.) Never once stopped and asked for anything...

There are real leaders in the USAF, the guy on the far right is one of them...

060705-F-9032T-170%20Give%20%27er%20the%20gun.jpg

He's added two stars since that pic, and I hope he continues as my hopes are that one day he becomes CSAF and things will get back on track!

If not Gorenc, then CH! :rock:

Cheers! M2

There are real leaders in the USAF, the guy on the far right is one of them...

He's added two stars since that pic, and I hope he continues as my hopes are that one day he becomes CSAF and things will get back on track!

If not Gorenc, then CH! :rock:

Cheers! M2

Excellent - I met him YEARS ago when he was with the Eagle Demo team. Had no idea that he was even still in...

Mike

We had a guy at PSAB 1998ish do up his floppy hat with starch and iron and it looked like Indina Jones' fadora, it actually came out pretty cool. Not long after that the "floppy hats must be floppy rule" was published.

Two SMALL victories...

From the USAFCENT 36-2903 dated 19 OCT 09

2.3.10.2. Wear of the reflective belt is not required in the AFPTU. Because of the reflective nature of the AFPTU, COMUSAFCENT considers the AFPTU uniform as the equivalent of a “reflective belt” in joint and combined domains. If Airmen chose to wear the AFPTU running pants without reflective AF symbols, they must wear a reflective belt during the hours of darkness.

2.3.17. Sunglasses will never be placed on top of the head or hung from pockets or other parts of the uniform. Commanders may authorize the wear of a restraining strap on sunglasses and allow the glasses to hang on the front of the body, around the neck, in duty uniform and AFPTU.

I don't know about you, I think I will run around tonight on AUAB with my PT gear and tell the first person who asks for a reflective belt to get bent.

Here's the new reg for an FYI to all you out there in AFCENT-land

USAFCENTI36-2903.pdf

Edited by Pitt4401

Two SMALL victories...

From the USAFCENT 36-2903 dated 19 OCT 09

2.3.10.2. Wear of the reflective belt is not required in the AFPTU. Because of the reflective nature of the AFPTU, COMUSAFCENT considers the AFPTU uniform as the equivalent of a “reflective belt” in joint and combined domains. If Airmen chose to wear the AFPTU running pants without reflective AF symbols, they must wear a reflective belt during the hours of darkness.

2.3.17. Sunglasses will never be placed on top of the head or hung from pockets or other parts of the uniform. Commanders may authorize the wear of a restraining strap on sunglasses and allow the glasses to hang on the front of the body, around the neck, in duty uniform and AFPTU.

I don't know about you, I think I will run around tonight on AUAB with my PT gear and tell the first person who asks for a reflective belt to get bent.

Here's the new reg for an FYI to all you out there in AFCENT-land

Unfortunately, for much the same reason we can't wear civilian PT gear out here, the AUAB policy will override this one because it is "more restrictive".

If I ever take over, the AUAB policy will be re-written into a single line: See the AFI.