Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

Thank you in advance for your continued leadership…V/r, ###

Who the F wrote this? Thank you in advance for your continued Leadership in the fight against improper footwear. Everyone knows that Pink crocs = a total deterioration of military bearing and discipline! Please... That MF'er even referenced core values when talking about F-ing Crocs. YGTBFSM! I'm in the F-ing Pentagon and we don't have to put up with BS like this.

Why couldn't they simply write this:

Folks,

Could you remind your people that Crocs are only authorized in the following colors:

--list--

Thank you.

Hell, you shouldn't even have to write anything. At the weekly standup tell Sq/CC's, etc. that their people shouldn't wear orange crocs, then let them "lead". Talk about F-ing douchebaggery...I can't adequately describe my disgust. Maybe throw in some more F bombs...Holy shit - where's the tylenol?!?

Edited by Spoo

Guest Lockjaw25

For a second, I thought I was reading a spoof memo. Then I kept on reading...and I'm pretty sure that was an actual memo. Please...tell me I'm wrong. Probably not though...

For a second, I thought I was reading a spoof memo. Then I kept on reading...and I'm pretty sure that was an actual memo. Please...tell me I'm wrong. Probably not though...

The email was real. Really real. I couldn't make that shit up if I tried.

The Brits in my office had a good laugh. They went and found an Army guy. He laughed, too. He probably went out and told the French.

The bottom line is that Big Blue isn't just embarrassing us in front of our sister services. They are making us the international laughing stock of this part of the world.

Guest Brewdog

I see the memo includes civilians. Are they really mandating what kind of shower shoes civilians can wear?

I see the memo includes civilians. Are they really mandating what kind of shower shoes civilians can wear?

DoD civilians, yes. They have to wear uniforms in the desert too. Civilian contractors (KBR, Log 20/20, Boeing, etc) no.

Guest Brewdog

Ok, that's what I thought. This line from the e-mail "**Note: This applies to everyone assigned to/transiting ###…US Military, Coalition, Civilian, and Contractor personnel." made me wonder.

Holy crap, that's exactly what I thought too. Man...this could be transitioned to the WTF thread...seriously, WTF

• 2 weeks later...
Guest damastas
Got this email from our Ops Sup Friday. Missing reflective belt at the 'Deid.

I don't know what this "Grand Slam" belt is but :beer: to whoever took it.

Just wanted to add this gem to the collection. Registered for the sole purpose of posting in this thread. This is an email left over from the last rotation, but is nonetheless pure Deid win at it's finest:

Hey All,

So many of you have heard tell of the infamous Grand Slam Belt. This is the award for a four month long competition in this, the Grand Slam Wing. This is the final month of the competition and we are tied for first with another squadron who, though they are inferior to us, currently hold the belt. For those not in the know, we are the previous holders of this award. It was tragically stolen from the Commander’s truck at some point and has not been seen since. The Commander and former first shirt, after the thievery, used all their arts and crafts skills to create a new belt, which is the current one in use. The numbers are looking well for us this month (the guidelines are attached if you see fit to read them), but we still need some things called the “Bet You Can’t Solve This.” Here is what we’re looking for:

Bet You Can’t Solve It: Units or individuals who recognize a problem and develop a course of action to solve it can compete for this recognition. Submissions should be emailed to the AEW/DS by the last day of the month. A maximum of three are allowed per month. See Appendix 1 for details. The AEW/CC will assign each submission a score of 10-50 based quality of the submission and the mission impact. More points are awarded for entries that demonstrate a solution rather than simply suggest it’s up to someone else to spend time and money fixing it.

Submission will be no more than three power point slides and offer actionable recommendations for spreading a good solution around the wing. All submissions must route through the Group Commander. We encourage units to document problems solved at the unit level and submit them for points.

A quality submission should contain some if not all of the following:

1. State the problem

2. State the impact to the mission / people

3. Background (Has anything been done before? Why is it a problem now?)

4. Views of others (How does or will this impact other units?)

5. Course(s) of Action [this is a solution]

6. Is the COA feasible?

a. Does it identify what needs to be done to correct the problem?

b. What level of command or leadership is required to make it happen?

So please use your creativity and come up with something and e-mail it to me by the 2nd of May. If you’d like to see previous submissions they can be found at:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We need 3 of these suckers which are now, for your convenience, only 3 slides each. I’m looking for a few good ideas.

Thanks for your help.

Here's a problem for you:

1. Morale is low because shoes create rules so that shoes still have a reason to deploy to enforce said rules

2. Impact is that they don't allow weapons in the Deid because if they did, someone would either off themself or a shoe.

3. Nothing has been done before. It has been a continuous sinking into the abyss of hopelessness.

4. As stated earlier, US forces are the laughing stock of the CENTCOM community.

5. COA: immediately remove all gay rules from the Deid. If it doesn't apply at homestation, it shouldn't be an "above and beyond" rule at the Deid. Increase consumption allowance of alcohol to 4 per day until situation is remedied. Remove requirement for Customs processing for transient individuals who won't have time to leave the fvcking base even if they wanted to. Remove anyone in the CoC who starches their ABUs in country. Remove the "F", "Y", and "I" keys from anyone's keyboard who is a member of any "Top 3".

6. Feasible? It started that way once upon a time; I'm sure it could happen again.

a. The old Air Force approach of not blaming individuals but blaming a culture could apply.

b. Level of CC/leadership is a leader who can look past the rank he/she wants to see on his/her shoulders and picks up a set of balls (and maybe some "Top Cover" to keep the SNCO mafia from trying to run over people)

Here's a problem for you:

1. Morale is low because shoes create rules so that shoes still have a reason to deploy to enforce said rules

2. Impact is that they don't allow weapons in the Deid because if they did, someone would either off themself or a shoe.

3. Nothing has been done before. It has been a continuous sinking into the abyss of hopelessness.

4. As stated earlier, US forces are the laughing stock of the CENTCOM community.

5. COA: immediately remove all gay rules from the Deid. If it doesn't apply at homestation, it shouldn't be an "above and beyond" rule at the Deid. Increase consumption allowance of alcohol to 4 per day until situation is remedied. Remove requirement for Customs processing for transient individuals who won't have time to leave the fvcking base even if they wanted to. Remove anyone in the CoC who starches their ABUs in country. Remove the "F", "Y", and "I" keys from anyone's keyboard who is a member of any "Top 3".

6. Feasible? It started that way once upon a time; I'm sure it could happen again.

a. The old Air Force approach of not blaming individuals but blaming a culture could apply.

b. Level of CC/leadership is a leader who can look past the rank he/she wants to see on his/her shoulders and picks up a set of balls (and maybe some "Top Cover" to keep the SNCO mafia from trying to run over people)

Nice - good rant.

I need some quick help and don't have time to go through 58 pages of a post, but I need to prove a point. I was recently told by a god fearing Lt Col to take my sunglasses off of my neck. I was wearing black sunglasses, with a brown strap. I did a little research here on the local share drive and found a base newsletter referencing commanders authorization to wear sunglasses around the neck, but not on top of the head. But, in order to not be douchey-mcdoucher-face, I need to have something a little more credible so I can show up tomorrow and STICK IT TO THE MAN---once pair of sh!tty sunglasses at a time!

I need some quick help and don't have time to go through 58 pages of a post, but I need to prove a point. I was recently told by a god fearing Lt Col to take my sunglasses off of my neck. I was wearing black sunglasses, with a brown strap. I did a little research here on the local share drive and found a base newsletter referencing commanders authorization to wear sunglasses around the neck, but not on top of the head. But, in order to not be douchey-mcdoucher-face, I need to have something a little more credible so I can show up tomorrow and STICK IT TO THE MAN---once pair of sh!tty sunglasses at a time!

How long have you been in the USAF? There's an AFI out there that covers this. Reference it, note that it says you may not wear them around your neck, and obey the AFI. Questions?

Reference (Foot wear with PT Gear):

Issued desert combat boots, ABU boots and sandals with a strap are authorized year round.

WOW.

If you see me at the Deid in the near future, I will be wearing ABU boots with PT gear to the chow hall. Who's with me?

Edited by day man

Guest marvin5

I'll be there on May 31, I'm a 22 year guard baby, so I guess it will be culture shock LOL.

Guest Flip
How long have you been in the USAF? There's an AFI out there that covers this. Reference it, note that it says you may not wear them around your neck, and obey the AFI. Questions?

Actually, I was just reading the AFI-36-2903 sup for Joint Base Balad, and it (I'm shooting from memory here) addresses wearing of the sunglasses around the neck as allowable. It may have been CENTCOM reporting instructions, or the Balad reporting instructions--I've read so many regs I'm getting them mixed up.

My only point is that there are variation on this rule in the AOR...

Flip

Actually, I was just reading the AFI-36-2903 sup for Joint Base Balad, and it (I'm shooting from memory here) addresses wearing of the sunglasses around the neck as allowable. It may have been CENTCOM reporting instructions, or the Balad reporting instructions--I've read so many regs I'm getting them mixed up.

My only point is that there are variation on this rule in the AOR...

Flip

Well hell... find a www. link and post it; all those who like wearing their shades around their neck can print this sup and use it to (figuratively, unfortunately) choke-slam all the shoes who go gunning for that shit.

The best way to beat these fucks is to use their own game against them...

Edited by JarheadBoom

Well hell... find a www. link and post it; all those who like wearing their shades around their neck can print this sup and use it to (figuratively, unfortunately) choke-slam all the shoes who go gunning for that shit.

The best way to beat these ######s is to use their own game against them...

Caveat: I'm really F-ing bored today.

Anyhoo, I looked it up in AFI 36-69069 Chow-my-hog (http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/medi.../afi36-2903.pdf). It's on page 91: No sunglasses (to include darkened photosensitive lenses) in formation. Not worn around the neck or on top/back of head or exposed hanging on the uniform. Eyeglasses/sunglasses will be worn in the manner for which they were made.

As far as I know, no supplement can be LESS restrictive than an AFI. I would be shocked if any base downrange would allow something like that to happen. In fact, there seems to be a push to make most things more restrictive. With all the Shouchebags running around, the term formation probably means one person walking to the chow hall or taking a leak.

Edited by Spoo

Anyhoo, I looked it up in AFI 36-69069 Chow-my-hog (http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/shared/medi.../afi36-2903.pdf). It's on page 91: No sunglasses (to include darkened photosensitive lenses) in formation. Not worn around the neck or on top/back of head or exposed hanging on the uniform. Eyeglasses/sunglasses will be worn in the manner for which they were made.

As far as I know, no supplement can be LESS restrictive than an AFI. I would be shocked if any base downrange would allow something like that to happen. In fact, there seems to be a push to make most things more restrictive. With all the Shouchebags running around, the term formation probably means one person walking to the chow hall or taking a leak.

You are correct that no supplement can be less restrictive, but if Balad is indeed a "Joint" base, then other services regulations are just as legitimate as the AFI on this subject. Typically, the "owning" service forces others to follow their rules. However, in order to have common guidance, the base commander may have taken the best parts of all the individual service regs and made a decision to allow the USA, or USN, or USMC guidance to take precedence in this area. Therefore publishing guidance that may conflict with one or more individual service regs in order to have common rules that everyone must follow versus each service doing their own thing would seem to me to be a prudent step.

Just a guess, but if there are other services there, you probably had over zealous USAF E-8/E-9's cruising around yelling at Joes who are just trying to hack the mission (with associated bitching about USAF gay-ness), so this was an effort to take four different sets of rules and narrow it down to one.

Caveat: Haven't seen the guidance that Flip references, but if this is correct, this would be a step in the right direction for many places.

Edited by Herk Driver

Agree to all.

I don't have a dog in this fight; I don't wear my shades around my neck at all (with shades around my neck and regular glasses on my face, I'd look even goofier than I already do), and I'm not at Balad (and not likely to ever be there). Just trying to help those who are there, and want to wear their shades like that, fight the power.

True in theory... however I do remember Al Udeid's AFI 36-Chow My Hog supplement did allow for sunglasses to be worn around the neck via a strap.

Found this on Bagram's website as a part of their deployment guide:

Sunglasses. Glasses will not be worn on the top or back of the head or exposed/hanging on the uniform. Authorized ballistic glasses (clear or tinted) may be worn with retaining straps and may hang loosely around the neck, but will not be placed on top of the head.
Edited by Vertigo

Guadalcanal

Tarawa

Schweinfurt

Anzio

Leyte Gulf

Normandy

Al Udeid

Sunglasses. Glasses will not be worn on the top or back of the head or exposed/hanging on the uniform. Authorized ballistic glasses (clear or tinted) may be worn with retaining straps and may hang loosely around the neck, but will not be placed on top of the head.

Is this this generation of leadership's legacy?

Seriously?!

Seriously, sunglasses on one's nugget, or face or neck. WGAS??

Amen brother.

Imagine John Q. Public sees you walk into a restaurant with sunglasses on your dome. Imagine what his reaction would be. Either, "Holy shit is that unprofessional!!!" or, more likely, dude goes about his business not thinking twice about what you and everyone on the planet does with their sunglasses. <end scene>