Aviation Quotes

Flare

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another good site for quotes. Several repeats from ENJJPTIP's site, but some other interesting quotes.

One of my favorites:

You’ve never been lost until you’ve been lost at Mach 3.

-- Paul F. Crickmore

• 1 year later...

Talking to a retired mechanic the other day and he told me a cool quote that he overheard between a cocky F-4 pilot and his mechanic, who was asking how to become a pilot.

Pilot – “It takes a college education to fly this thing.”

Mechanic – “Well it takes a GED to work on it. I wonder if you’re coming back today.”

Guest BritCabDriver

Basic Flying Rules:

"Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space.

It is much more difficult to fly there."

Guest xtndr50boom

"Though I fly through the valley of death I shall fear no evil; for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing"

Sign at the entrance to Kadena SR-71 ops building

Talking to a retired mechanic the other day and he told me a cool quote that he overheard between a cocky F-4 pilot and his mechanic, who was asking how to become a pilot.

Pilot – “It takes a college education to fly this thing.”

Mechanic – “Well it takes a GED to work on it. I wonder if you’re coming back today.”

Nice! :thumbsup:

What's the old joke?

Air Force planes are designed by people with doctorates

Tested by people with graduate degrees

Flown by people with undergraduate degrees

Maintained by people with high school degrees

Or something like that. It's been a long day and I can't think straight. I should be drinking (more)...

Cheers! M2

Guest JorryFright21
"Though I fly through the valley of death I shall fear no evil; for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing"

Sign at the entrance to Kadena SR-71 ops building

Huh, that's our building now. Piece of crap! Cool history though.

Guest xtndr50boom
Huh, that's our building now. Piece of crap! Cool history though.

Yup, the CIA built your bldg in the late 60s. Humidity and salt water certainly help preserve the buildings and keep them in their original turgid grey/tan luster. I was walking around the 909th a few months ago.... jesus christ. At least there's no asbestos in my building. And the pigeons seem to be very accomodating and congeneal, unlike the banana spiders there!

My favourite of all time comes from the 1977 AIMVAL:

F-14 pilot Joe "Hoser" Strapa was pitted against a USN Adversary in a 1-v-1 scenario. The indicated engagement would be ‘guns only’.

Strapa VIDed and killed the his opponent with a Fox One on both passes.

In the debrief, the angry Adversary pilot challenged the Tomcat Driver’s ‘cheating’ asking, "Hoser, what the hell happened to credibility?"

Hoser, with appropriate thumb gestures accompanying his response, replied "Credibility is down, kill ratio is up!"

It's in one of my books, so it must be true!

Guest BritCabDriver

After an RAF F-4 had actually shot down an RAF Jaguar during TACEVAL in Germany in the 80s, the Germans also playing were heard to say

"We're going home now, the British are playing for real!"

Airspeed: Speed of an airplane. Deduct 25% when listening to a Navy pilot.

"Eagles may fly, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

"I am a Pilut...I am a Pillot...I am a Pilyut...Damn...I fly airplanes!"

As a pilot, only two bad things can happen to you:

A. One day you will walk out to the aircraft knowing that it is your last flight.

B. One day you will walk out to the aircraft not knowing that it is your last flight.

And found these after some light googling:

As heard from ORD's (O'Hare's) tower: "You're gonna have to key the mike. I can't see you when you nod your head."

"Put your compass on 'E' and get out of my airspace."

"Climb like you're life depends on it ... because it does."

"Request Runway 27 Right."

"Unable."

"Approach, do you know the wind at six thousand is 270 at fifty?"

"Yeah, I do, and if we could jack the airport up to fifty-five hundred you could have that runway. Expect 14 Right."

• 1 year later...

I recently read a quote by Jerry R Caddick that started with "Where we work..." It was a pretty cool quote and google cant find it for me. I was hoping someone had it or knew it.

Essentially it speaks about pilots flying alone and potentially dying alone in the air but a fraternity on the ground.

Thanks for the help. :flag_waving: