Gun Talk

VL-16

I grabbed a Mark AR and some accessories from this program in Dec. Savings hovered around 40% from their 2013 Mil/LE price list; I haven't seen the 2014 price list to see if anything has changed. Once I submitted my order, it took about 4 weeks to receive everything. They never forwarded any tracking numbers so I had no idea it shipped until it showed up on my doorstep.

Good deal overall, I would order more if my wallet could take the punishment!

-9-

Crap, I deploy in 3 weeks. How long did it take them to approve you after you submitted the paper work/email? (All I have done is emailed them w/attached memo and gotten a reply that it's in the works...about two weeks ago now).

Crap, I deploy in 3 weeks. How long did it take them to approve you after you submitted the paper work/email? (All I have done is emailed them w/attached memo and gotten a reply that it's in the works...about two weeks ago now).

It only took a few days to get the price list and ordering instructions sent to my .mil email. Maybe you'll have a welcome home gift upon your return from deployment?

-9-

Anyone used any of the Wolf Gold .223 for target ammo? I try to stay away from the foreign stuff especially since .223 is pretty easy to get these days, but I've read some good reports about it online and have seen some pretty decent deals on 1000 rd cases of the stuff. You just never know if the guys throwing out the good reviews happen to have a few pallets of the stuff in their shop that they're trying to unload.

Its fine as long as your rifle will feed it and cycle it. Some mid length DI set ups short stroke the 55gr. stuff. Usually an issue with 14.5 and 16 middies coupled with standard H buffer. Opt for the H2 or heavier buffer and it'll most likely cycle reliably.

If anything, buy it so you can keep the brass and reload it :)

No info, but questions: What do you want to order? Do you know how much their mil discounts are?

Different related question on optics: Anybody checked out the reviews written on Trijicon's new VCOG? Looks pretty damn sweet...pretty damn expensive too.

Yes, the VCOG is sweet (for 3 gun) but I can think of some others that fall in that price range or lower that are just as good, if not better. Leupold 1-6 w/ Jim Smiths reticle, Nightforce NXS, Schmidt Short Dot, Promotiv or 3point5. US Optics has also stepped up their game and making some unique prescription optics built for AR-15/10 configurations.

Edited by yerfer

Here is an animation of the internal workings of a 1911... http://animagraffs.com/how-a-handgun-works-1911-45/

The guy who created it also sells it as a poster. I may end up buying one because I think it's so cool.

ETA: The one thing it doesn't show is the disconnector moving out of contact of the trigger shoe when the gun is out of battery. Other than that, it looks very accurate.

Edited by Timbonez
  • Upvote 2

Yes, the VCOG is sweet (for 3 gun) but I can think of some others that fall in that price range or lower that are just as good, if not better. Leupold 1-6 w/ Jim Smiths reticle, Nightforce NXS, Schmidt Short Dot, Promotiv or 3point5. US Optics has also stepped up their game and making some unique prescription optics built for AR-15/10 configurations.

Sorry that I'm a little late on the response. You list some great choices, but my reason for being so interested in VCOG is the robustness and durability of Trijicon's products and that it will (hopefully) be extended to their variable low powered scopes. I'm far from an optics expert, but I'm not familiar with any of the products you listed (such as the Leupold 1-6) that can take as much of a beating as the Trijicon when it comes to magnified optics. Having family members in Army combat MOS's and some good friends in various ground SOF roles, they all have told me their opinions on the Trijicon in terms of a 'tactical' accessory (for me it would be more 'tacticool' haha) and how it can be tossed around with little to no problems. Thoughts?

Oh, and I registered for the Fed/mil discount with Leupold, and like the others have said, damn those discounts are pretty sweet! I'll definitely be making a purchase soon!

Has anyone had any first hand experience with Ruger's SR-762? The few reviews I've read have a bunch of good things to say about it.

I've been researching semi-auto .308 battle rifles and on the surface $1600 (street price) seems to be one of the best values out there for a piston .308 (especially considering that I initially had my sights on a SCAR heavy).

If you have any good or bad stuff to say about Ruger's offering, I'd like to hear it.

-9-

What's everyone's take on getting a 5.45x39 upper for an AR to take advantage of the availability and low price of the 5.45x39. Next to non-priced gouged 22lr, seems to be the cheapest stuff around to shoot.

http://www.usacsales.com/ammunition/545x39-ammo-can

Not exactly answering your question here...but why not just an AK-74, which is the original rifle for the 5.45? Classic Arms has quality Waffen Werks AK-74's for as cheap at $600, and for a little more you can get it with nicer furniture. Also, I've seen Bulgarian polymer mags as cheap as $13-15 for the 74 (they're not Circle 10 quality, but they'll definitely do the job most need them to do). I have a WW 74 and it's a great shooter.

Whatever you get, don't forget to rinse out and then clean your rifle right away after shooting the corrosive ammo that you linked.

• Upvote 1

too lazy to google...what's the process like?

It's mostly waiting, but big picture...

-get fingerprints/signature from county sherif (I forget the exact form number but your FFL will know)

-turn in form along with check for $200 to local Class 3 FFL

-they mail off to ATF, waiting "officially" begins the date your check clears

-wait 9-10 months

-get a call from FFL, pick up gear

Remember that it's $200 per ITEM, and it is technically only legal for the person listed on the form to handle (so no wife/kids/friends). One reason an NFA Trust is an awesome idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

too lazy to google...what's the process like?

I made a trust. Definitely the way to go. No fingerprinting. Also, there can be multiple beneficiaries on the trust for when you kick the bucket.

Also, most people are e-filing their Form 4 items now....people seem to be getting stamps back in around 120 days. I'm about to test this claim. All my other Forms have been mailed.

Everything you could ever want to know here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/f_6/17_General_Class_3.html

Also, most people are e-filing their Form 4 items now....people seem to be getting stamps back in around 120 days. I'm about to test this claim. All my other Forms have been mailed.

I didn't even know you could e-file...all mine have been mailed. That would be outstanding if it was only a 120 day wait! I'll have to check into this as I have a few more stamps needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FYSA...

ATF Advisory Letter – Online Scam Using Fraudulent Federal Firearms Licenses (PDF file)

U.S. Department of Justice
Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco,
Firearms and Explosives
Washington, DC 20226

Advisory Letter

Online Scams Using Fraudulent Federal Firearms Licenses
March 7, 2014

TO ALL FEDERAL FIREARMS LICENSEES AND FIREARM PURCHASERS

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) is providing the following information to make you aware of fraudulent online firearms sales. Some individuals are using fraudulently altered Federal firearms licenses to sell but never deliver firearms online.

A typical online scam starts with an online firearm advertisement. Purchasers who respond to the advertisement by telephone or email receive an invalid, counterfeit copy of a license that appears to be valid. After sending payment, the purchaser never receives the advertised firearm(s) and the fraudulent seller removes the original online advertisement and contact information.

To help you avoid this scam, licensees are reminded that only transactions between licensees require the furnishing of a certified copy of the license. Licensees should consider only providing the basic license number to individuals (e.g., 1-75 -12345). The individuals can use FFL eZ Check to confirm the validity of the license number before sending payment for firearms advertised online. FFL eZ Checkis on the ATF website: FFL eZ Check.

If you have general questions regarding the FFL eZ Check system, you may contact the Federal Firearms Licensing Center at 1-877-560-2435.

You may also wish to contact other Federal, State, and local resources regarding internet fraud, to include the Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), the Federal Trade Commission, your State’s Attorney General’s office, and/or your local law enforcement agency.

If you are a Federal firearms licensee who believes your license has been fraudulently used, stolen, or compromised, please contact your local ATF field office as soon as possible for assistance. A list of local field offices can be found here.

Cheers! M2