Gun Talk

VL-16

Have you looked at crossbreedholsters.com?

They have some very nice XD IWB holsters. I've got two of them for my pistols.

+1 for crossbreed holsters, had mine for almost a year now and the quality and comfort is beyond superb.

Everybody wants to pretend to be 'operators'.

This is the "Navy SEALS" of our generation, unfortunately.

But, hey -- I'm sure inside a prison, there is lots of need for OD green uniforms and no-button-on-top hats (for the ear-pro, right?) with IR American flags on them. Lots of need for 'warriors' there.

Edited by Hacker
  • Upvote 1

What a douche... Cool gun though.

I had to turn the video off about 45 seconds into the little "closing word" segment at the end, couldn't listen to his attempt at "operator jargon" and special operations crap. Kudos to him, I'm sure he is a professional at his job, but seriously talking and walking like an actual military operator doesn't make you one.

+1 on the gun, looks awesome.

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure I watched the ANA perform this kind of test in Astan with their M-16/M-240s.....replace "stairwell" with "mountain", though. Also, I didn't see the "use your weapon as a walking stick with your finger in the trigger guard until you AD" test.

I've ran a KSG a couple times and have to say...they are pretty nice. Still not an 870, though.

• Upvote 2

Considering a new pistol. I'm looking at three: the FN FNP, FNX, & HK P30 (maybe even the P30L). Any experiences with these would be appreciated.

Picked up a used FNX-9 a few weeks ago. Shot it once now. Per the previous owner it had 300-ish rounds through it and by the look of it, I would say it is accurate.

So far, very happy. I like the DA/SA option or the locked an cocked. (I carry DA/safety off per what I generally carry w/ my Kahr).

Firm but crisp break on the DA. SA was very nice IMHO. Sights are nice.

Must slap the mag in firmly if it is loaded to max capacity. (I was shooting with 5 loaded in all my mags to get through more reloads-when I went to seat a fully loaded 17 round mag, I didn't slam it home and it dropped out.

Some people complain about the backstrap; non-issue for me. Don't feel the very minor play that it has.

The price is great in comparision with the HKs out there.

Would recommend and would buy again.

Picked up a Model 1903A4 sniper rifle clone last week and took it to the range today! Basically this is a Remington 1903A3 rifle with a modified bolt handle, no front or rear sights, Redfied scope base, Redfield vertical split rings, and a 1" Weaver K2.5 scope. The correct scope would be a Weaver 330 (M73B1 I think), but the K2.5 are easier to get and legal for Vintage Sniper according to the CMP rule book. There are some new reproductions out there by Hi-Lux, but I found this K2.5 in a gunshop for $35 versus $300+ for the repro. The guy I bought it from had also put the action in a new 1903 C stock from the CMP.

Scope is a little foggy, but easy enough to see the target and get a decent group ( 1 5/8") at 100 yds. We have some gongs set up at 200 yds, so it was fun to sling up in prone and listen to the immediate feedback. Just used some Rem 150gr Cor-Lokt I had, but plan to develop a load soon. Probably start with the Speer 125gr TNT for the 100-200 yd range and then a 168gr of some flavor for the longer ranges with H4895 powder. Vintage Sniper is normally shot at 300 and 600 on the standard High Power targets. Overall, a fun gun and didn't recoil quite as much as I expected for a .30-06. Although, my shoulder is feeling the effects of that steel buttplate.

Edit: Forgot to mention the rifle still has the original 8/43 barrel. Also, looking at the picture below, the post reticle in the scope is just as wide as the target black at 100 yds. Very similar to shooting an M16A2, M1, or M14 with iron sights. I need to work on keeping the reticle centered more based on the shots spread out east-west on the target. And a click or two down!

8111236051_009a7e997b_c.jpg

8111236449_8b669b6bd5_c.jpg

8111241050_78d0114fb4_c.jpg

Edited by Shaft34
  • Upvote 1

Not sure. I believe the gentleman I bought it from in Tennessee had most of the work done locally or did it himself. There are sources out there with pre-modified bolt bodies you can swap. Besides the bolt, it is pretty much just a drill and tap operation once you've acquired the correct parts.

Originally I planned to buy a complete clone from Creedmoor Sports or James River Armory, but I got this rifle via a trade for my Kimber 82G target rifle. If you're looking for a similar rifle I would just go with one from those distributors/builders:

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/shop/1903-A4-Sniper-Rifle.html

http://www.jamesriverarmory.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_new.tpl&product_id=257&category_id=45

Edited by Shaft34

NICE. Someday I'd like to do something similar to that with my '03A3...

My favorite M1903 variant was one a guy built up for a CMP match -- it was an 03A3 with the peep sight setup, sitting in a Keystone C-stock, and with all the milled hardware from the 1903 (vs the stamped accessories from the 03A3). That's my dream setup.

Not that I really needed a new AR, but saw that the Smith & Wesson MP15 'Optics Ready' was on sale at Bud's Police Supply for $679...that coupled with the SW $100 Rebate for us military types...and I just couldn't pass it up. Hopefully I'll have by late next week. A mid level AR that I can abuse while keeping my nicer one in better shape.

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=170

Here is my new baby. Not a regular here but thought I would brag.

First AR build.

(I have a tendency to go for the gusto)

AXTS AX556 lower

AXTS Raptor Charging Handle

BCM 16 mid up w/ VTAC Alpha rail

SSA trigger

BADASS 45 degree safety

Magpul: MIAD grip, CTR stock and F/R MBUS

IWC: hand stop and OCP sling attachment

IKH sling plate

TAC Strap

used Aimpoint M2