Gun Talk

VL-16

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked. I've always wanted an HP.

I have a Colt Series 70 1911 and a pretty old Combat Commander slide assembly that my father gave me. I bought a steel frame and the rest of the parts for the frame and had a smith fit it. It runs pretty well. I didn't have the flats on the frame polished so there is contrast between the frame and slide that I like.

I also have a Duotone Taurus PT1911 in .45 ACP and a Para 1911 LTC (their commander) in 9mm, both of which I'm trying to sell.

ETA: The grips also came with the slide.

Edited by Timbonez

Hearby nominated as official theme video for the thread...

I Love Guns

Anchorman+The+Legend+of+Ron+Burgundy+DVD+Movie+Review.jpg

Where'd he get a grenade launcher and a RPG?

Had to go back and watch again....He pays USD for a right-drive car and drives it on the right side of the road, yet has the Aussie flags and what seems like a light Aussie accent. Maybe the whole thing was filmed elsewhere.

Edited by The_Ginger

Thanks, guys. I just won a Browning Hi Power MkIII on GB and I'm using Patriot Gun Works. I talked to the guy there and he was real friendly. They charge a $20 transfer. Anyway, I should have the new handgun hopefully by the end of next week, but probably more like at the beginning of the following one.

BRMK3S_all.jpg

Is the Indoor Gun Range the only range around Abilene? Is there any public land to possibly shoot on?

I'm glad that I could help you out with finding a FFL. Yes there are other ranges in Abilene, obviously ABI indoor is the only indoor range here. They do offer a mil/fire/police discount and yearly memberships. There is the North side gun range/club off East lake rd. Its a club so you have to pay a membership fee, but if your mil then its $35 for a year and its good for the whole family. They have two pistol bays and varying rifle ranges from 25-250 yards. The range master is there on the weekends and they give you the combo once you pay so you can go during the week as well. There typically is a couple of guys from my squadron that meet up on sat or sun for some fun. There is also a skeet/trap/sporting clay course on the south side next to Kirby Lake.

I might have a chance to pick up a HiPoint 995TS 9mm carbine at a decent price, and it appears to be a fun little plinking gun...

995ts1.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had any firsthand experience with one and if so, what they thought of it? I know it's just a cheap rifle, but since 9mm ammo is getting easier to find cheaply, it seems like it would be a cool toy.

Cheers! M2

Edited by M2

I might have a chance to pick up a HiPoint 995TS 9mm carbine at a decent price, and it appears to be a fun little plinking gun...

new995.jpg

I was wondering if anyone had any firsthand experience with one and if so, what they thought of it? I know it's just a cheap rifle, but since 9mm ammo is getting easier to find cheaply, it seems like it would be a cool toy.

Cheers! M2

I got a 995 with laser. Ugly as sin, and a little too tacticool with the laser, but works like a champ. I thought it was a good used deal. I know lots of people mock HiPoint, but I've been happy with it...plus they have a great warrenty. Great plinker and fairly accurate. Make sure you get factory mags...I've had FTF issues with aftermarket mags.

6331photo44.jpg

Crow

Sorry, what'd ya say? I keep getting distracted by your avatar! :salut:

Anyhow, thanks for the info. I've got a quick question for ya, is that an extended magazine or is it just not inserted all the way? I thought all the used were 10-rounders...

There is the monthly gun show tomorrow morning, and if I don't find anything I will contact the guy about this 955TS. It is the newer version, and the bolt does lock back after the last round unlike the earlier models. Plus it has the new stock and more rails...

Cheers! M2

I have a Colt Series 70 1911 and a pretty old Combat Commander slide assembly that my father gave me. I bought a steel frame and the rest of the parts for the frame and had a smith fit it. It runs pretty well. I didn't have the flats on the frame polished so there is contrast between the frame and slide that I like.

Is the frame a 5" model or a Commander frame?

I ask because there are subtle differences between the two. The frame rails on a Commander are set back a little further, the dust cover is slightly shorter, and there is also a small offset in the ejector.

There's some commentary on the subject here: http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=42540&page=1&pp=10

Bottom line, the combination works, but you may have some reliability issues depending on what the smith did when he put the two together.

Anyhow, thanks for the info. I've got a quick question for ya, is that an extended magazine or is it just not inserted all the way? I thought all the used were 10-rounders...

Aftermarket mag (ProMag??)...that usually has about 3 FTF per mag. Piece of crap. Stick with the 10 round HiPoint mags. Can't complain since I only spent $100 buying the gun.

OC

Thanks, I actually saw a few of the new 955TS carbines at the gun show and I was a bit amazed at how "plasticy" they felt. I don't mind polymer guns, but these just felt like plain old plastic! I might still snag this one, but I don't know if I am going to pay his asking price. We'll just have to see...

Cheers! M2

Mosinitis strikes again!

Found a guy up in Dallas who is selling me these two M44s...

2312323.jpg

The top one is Romanian, the bottom Hungarian. Both are all matching serial numbered except for the bolts.

The Romanian is a '54 with the correct triangle/arrow stampings on receiver and wood stock.

The Hungarian rifle is '53 with the correct "02" Warsaw Pact code stamped on the bolt, receiver and stock.

Neither have cleaning rods, but do have the usual Russian dog collar style sling, ammo pouch, and tools.

Two more thundersticks! :rock:

Cheers! M2

At least there is a name for M2's disease...

Yeah, it's got a name but no cure!

Today I picked this up...

IMG_6154.jpg

IMG_6141.jpg

IMG_6140.jpg

IMG_6144.jpg

It is a 1915 Finn M91, D and SA stamped as well as marked with a Civil Guard number on the buttstock. It has the English contract cartouche and a Finn-matched bolt. It will make a nice companion to the Remington Mosin I picked up a while back!

And no, those aren't my pics! They are from the seller's ad...

Cheers! M2

M2 and his wife have a very good deal. He gets to purchase all the guns he wants and she can't say anything. She gets to paint the walls of the house ridiculous shades of yellow and he can't say anything. Win - Win for all involved.

In all seriousness I came across this ruling from the First Circuit Court of Appeals for New England (which is just one step lower than the SCOTUS).

I guess in Massachussetts even though you have a CCW, that you're doing nothing other than walking down the street, that you're carrying a briefcase and wearing a suit means that police can still jump out of the car, point a gun in your face, unlawfully stop you, unlawfully search you, unlawfully detain you, and unlawfully confiscate your gun and CCW permit. Even though you have committed no crime and the only thing the cop saw was a flash of your gun as your suit jacket opened while you were walking.

More here: http://hotair.com/greenroom/archives/2010/01/06/disgrace-circuit-court-rules-ma-concealed-carry-permits-are-worthless/

The full ruling here: http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=1st&navby=docket&no=091370

Another good ammo search engine...

http://gun-deals.com/ammo

And you guys probably won't believe it, but I looked at a M39 Mosin Nagant for sale this evening and ended up not buying it!

Yeah, that's shocking but let me put it in context. For one, I already have a M38 that is in better shape and has a wartime M38 stock (versus the more common post-war M48 stock). Secondly, I have to rifles arriving tomorrow that I bought from a guy up in Dallas. And I did buy a Finn-captured New England Westinghouse M91 only last week, so add all that together and it isn't so surprising that I actually passed up on buying the rifle this evening.

Cheers! M2

Hey guys,

I tried looking through this expansive thread and did a couple of searches, but came up with squat. I am in the market for a .22 pistol. I like the Walther P22, but it is too small for my hand. I want something that resembles a tactical type handgun. I'm not a fan of the Ruger line of .22s. What do you all think?

There are quite a few 1911 conversions out there if you have a 1911 or want one. Any excuse for a 1911 is a good one.

Look at the Sig Mosquito, I think that may be something along the lines you are looking for.

I found the Sig Mosquito. It looks exactly like what I am looking for. The S&W Model 22A didn't look too bad either. Anyone own either of these that would care to comment on them?

I found the Sig Mosquito. It looks exactly like what I am looking for. The S&W Model 22A didn't look too bad either. Anyone own either of these that would care to comment on them?

I've heard some of the tactical ones you're looking at tend to have a problem cycling. Make sure you use high quality, high velocity .22 ammo.