Gun Talk

VL-16

USAF Pilots fly with an issued Bretta M9. Glock's are nice weapons but we do not fly with them.

that's all I've ever flown with too and heard of other airframes flying with... just want to see if I'm missing something from a different MWS, or if personal weapons are allowed ANYWHERE these days, much less to the extent that would support an advertising claim by Glock.

This sort of advertising relies on the audience to join the dots and draw the inferences, even if they are completely wrong.

In this instance, nowhere does the advert say that the USAF's "elite pilots" carry the weapon while flying; it simply says that "many" rely on it for defence in emergency situations (at home, out on the street, but not necessarily on the ground in bad guy territory).

No, unless you are SOF (and probably only tier 1) you cannot carry a G19 in combat. God knows, I wish I could. I hate the damn M9.

It's the same round...what's the diff. If you can carry something other than the M9, then might as well make a change that could make a tangible difference in stopping power.

Guest merlock

I shot 30 rounds the 91/30 and M44 I have last Sunday and my shoulder still hurts!

I sprayed Windex down both and snaked 'em afterward, then ran some Hoppe's through 'em. They are still both nice and shiny!

Damn...I'm done after 10 in my 91/30...

2 on the windex. So much easier than the TLC I give my AR-15...

It's the same round...what's the diff. If you can carry something other than the M9, then might as well make a change that could make a tangible difference in stopping power.

What?

Have you ever shot a Glock? Have you shot any 9mm other than the M9? Yes, they have the same chambering, but aside from that, they're totally different guns.

If I had my choice, I'd go with a Sig P229, for 9mm. If I could upgrade caliber, I'd probably go with a P229 in .40. I like capacity, so most .45's would be out for me, either due to low mag capacity, or too big a grip because it's a double stack.

I'll keep the Beretta over a Glock. I hate Glocks.

Edited by outbreak

I didn't add this to the existing gun thread since this isn't regarding "which gun is better" or similar argument (though it's quickly devolving into just that). I was merely curious as to the legitimacy of Glock's claim.

Huh... I thought the gun thread said "All Gun Discussions Here." I can see why you thought this gun discussion should have its own thread.

- I just like being a smart ass, that's why I made the comment. Frankly, I think 10 gun threads, 10 hot chick threads would be better than most of the political crap that's here now.

The Navy does issue the M11 (Sig P228) to some of its aircrews. Not any particular reason as to who gets what they just have them in the rotation.

The M9 is a good pistol, its just they've spent the last 20 years getting the crap abused out of them and havent been serviced or replaced at anywhere near the rate of the M4/16 family. Mags are old as hell, trigger springs are worn out, etc. Its still a handgun and still capable of shooting better than 95% of the operators using it are capable of shooting it.

If your really down to your pistol and trying to pretend that there would be that much of a difference between an M9 or a Glock or any other handgun, your already f*cked. When Im out of ammo for my M4 and down to the last mag of M9 Im not worried about what handgun I was issued. At that point Im thinking about whats the last word I got over my C-Cell was and how much I do not want to be taken prisoner by hadj.

Edited by Lawman

Perhaps referring to the Geneva Conventions? As long as it's a ball round (sts), we're good right? Whatever happened to the good ole .45? I'd take ANY .45 over a Beretta 9mm. Glock is clearly false advertising though.

I know there have to be some gun nuts on this forum. My only firearm that I own right now is a Glock 21 and I'm mostly familiar with handgun pricing not rifles. I was sent an offer today that the local gun club is selling a few Mosin M44's for $100. That seemed really cheap to me. Anybody have one of these? I don't really need a rifle but $100 hits my "impulse buy" threshold. I see its a 7.62x54 cartridge and those seem a little more expensive than the 7.63x39 rounds. It's only real use would be taking to the range and having fun with, I don't hunt and I don't think my neighbors in the townhome next to me would find it a good home defense caliber. Are there other/better rifles I could get for around $100 or is this a pretty good deal?

In all honesty $100 for a M44 Mosin Nagant pretty high. I have three of them and a model 91/30 mosin, the most that i payed for any of them was $80 and it was in near perfect condition. the reason that the rounds are more expensive, besides the obvious of them being a much larger round, is that the 7.62x39 is a much more common round. it is the round for the ak47 and sks, two commonly used rifles. now, for the money you probably won't be able to find anything better. the rifles are extremely reliable and rugged. and i just had an afterthought, check and see if it is an actual russian m44, or a hungarian. easiest way to tell is to look on the top of the rifle, in the metal right above the chamber. the rifles were only produced back when the russians were still commies, and they stamped the sickle and hammer at that spot on their rifles. if it is a russian then it is worth the $100 and probably a little more.

In all honesty $100 for a M44 Mosin Nagant pretty high. I have three of them and a model 91/30 mosin, the most that i payed for any of them was $80 and it was in near perfect condition. the reason that the rounds are more expensive, besides the obvious of them being a much larger round, is that the 7.62x39 is a much more common round. it is the round for the ak47 and sks, two commonly used rifles. now, for the money you probably won't be able to find anything better. the rifles are extremely reliable and rugged. and i just had an afterthought, check and see if it is an actual russian m44, or a hungarian. easiest way to tell is to look on the top of the rifle, in the metal right above the chamber. the rifles were only produced back when the russians were still commies, and they stamped the sickle and hammer at that spot on their rifles. if it is a russian then it is worth the $100 and probably a little more.

Have you priced M44s lately? I've picked up two in the last month, and if you think you can find one for under $100 than let me know as I will take five of them (as long as they aren't counterbored and the numbers match!).

Yes, some places still offer 91/30s for under a hundred bucks (such as the hex'd MN I got from AIM Surplus, see above); but the M44 and M38 carbines for that amount can not longer be had.

I bought a Izhevsk made M44 yesterday for $140 on sale. That is the cheapest I have seen in a long time so I had to jump on it.

M2, I blame you mostly for that purchase, after seeing all of your Soviet rifles I decided I had to have at least one. Once I find some ammo we are going out next week for some shoulder abuse.

Edited by Vandal

I bought a Izhevsk made M44 yesterday for $140 on sale. That is the cheapest I have seen in a long time so I had to jump on it.

M2, I blame you mostly for that purchase, after seeing all of your Soviet rifles I decided I had to have at least one. Once I find some ammo we are going out next week for some shoulder abuse.

Vandal

Bad news, brother; it's a slippery slope! I only intended to buy one, and now I have not only all of those in the pictures, but a few more and a couple on the way!

Did you get the M44 at a Big 5? I heard they can be found there at a great price; but unfortunately there are none in this area. I have two Izhevsk M44s (one is on its way) and it is a lot more fun to shoot than the standard 91/30 (which is still a lot of fun in and of itself). Be sure to extend the bayonet as it was designed to be fired that way and is more accurate. Plus, it gets everyone's attention just in time for the huge frigging fireball that occurs when you shoot it!

Life is good when you've got some old Soviet milsurp!

Cheers! M2

Quick question, does anyone have any info on a shooting range near Laughlin? I've heard rumors of a ranch just outside of Del Rio but have yet to be able to locate this mythical place. I've got a new toy that needs sighting in so I can fill my freezer with venison soon.