Gun Talk

VL-16

A $900 RRA is a good buy. Was it their entry tactical model and was the barrel chrome lined? And a $380 AK... I haven't seen that low of a price for one in a long time. Do they have a layaway plan?

Oh, and Happy Fourth!

EDIT: Bushmaster has no military contract. FBO Type in Bushmaster, no results. Type in Colt, RRA, Lockheed Martin, etc. You will see contracts. Here is another link Colt M4, scroll to the bottom. I'm not trying to start a pissing match, rather dispel rumors or incorrect info.

No pissing match with me, just telling what I know. its all good.

I believe it was an Entry Tactical. I do know it was chrome lined and had a few other goodies on it. I love the Ambi-Star selector on it, fvcking amazing. The AK was Romanian and in amazing shape with wood furniture. They do have layaway with 20% down. The problem is, I lack employment right now and the local cops aren't hiring right meow so I couldn't pay for it if I tried. :bash:

I think when it comes time for me to buy my first AR, I may build it myself. I have always wanted to do that so I can gain better knowledge of my SHTF gun as I build it up and that way I can get exactly what I want; RRA lower and 2-stage trigger group, MagPul CTR stock, MIAD grip and tons of PMags. I am still stuck on an upper or 2. I want a 16in flattop with carry-handle, fixed front sight and a 20 inch flattop with carry-handle and fixed front sight. I have no idea where to start looking for uppers though. The options are pretty overwhelming for someone new to building an AR.

Happy 4th BO.net!! :M16::flag_waving:

Building it is the way to go. It will be cheaper than buying a complete rifle and you can build it to your exact specifications. Another benefit is you gain a greater appreciation and understanding of how ARs work. I bought my first AR and thought that would be the end of it, but then I bought another, and now on my third one I built the lower receiver. I have the RRA LPK with their NM 2 stage trigger in that build. I haven't fired it yet (still waiting on the damn handguard for my upper), but I've heard good things. Whenever I do head to the range with that one I'll let you know. I'll take a pic of the three sometime next week and post it. Hope you find a job soon.

I appreciate the advice. I do however, have a some obstacles to building my own. 1st is research - no time. 2nd, I live in base housing - no guns on base. 3rd, I PCS soon, thus buying a complete gun is quick/easy. 4th is funds - while the S&W is nice, keeping the buy on the cheap makes it easier for the wife to say "sure."

The Marine Exchange here hasn't had any 5.56 in stock since the election. I walk in last week and they have 6-7 of them. I like supporting their shop. Besides, they price match and no sales tax.

I liked the spreadsheet and my gun GK just went up. However, I don't see myself putting thousands of rounds down it. Hell, I've only put 400 rounds through my Taurus since last Aug.

On a side note, I think it is our obligation as Americans that we help keep the gun shop inventory low. Happy Independence Day everyone.

Well the Army now owns the rights to the M4. What was once a Colt only weapon system for the U.S. Military may now change. Linky

ETA: This is also why Colt has become more civilian friendly in the past year. Them losing the M4 TDP has been a long time coming, and now that they can't rely on .gov's money they're going to need citizens to buy their stuff.

Edited by Timbonez

OK, need some inputs here. Got this deal lined up...a Yugo SKS with a 30rd magazine, a "sporting scope," what looks like a Tapco stock and a plastic case for $300...

0629071034a.jpg

I don't know how many rounds have been through it, and I've not yet seen it in person (just this pic).

The guy is including the original bolt cover (without weaver rail), and the plus side is that it eats 7.62x39, which I have a few rounds stashed away.

The downside is....hell, I can't think of a downside other than possibly paying too much for it!

I've always wanted a bubba SKS, and prefer the "evil black commie rifle" look (it'll match my Yugo M70AB2 quite nicely); but I know SKS used to go for $150-200 pre-Obama paranoia. Checking out GunBroker.com, it seems like a good price.

So, anyone SKS experts out there willing to give an opinion?

Cheers! M2

p.s. I should add I am not a huge fan of the Dragunov-style stocks, but I know some people prefer them over the Tapco types as this one has.

Well, I picked this Yugo SKS up today, it was 922©-complaint as it has the TAPCO compliance kit on it. I know some folks are anti-"bubba;" but it was a decent deal and if I don't like it I can sell it for minimal loss.

And yes, it is a cheap-o Chinese scope from Ultimate Arms Gear; but I am not looking for sniper-distance accuracy here. The bummer is that I was just at the range on Friday, and shoot all the guns that I hadn't shot yet. Now, just a few days later, I am back in that boat again, needing to get back to the range to shoot a new (to me) gun!

Cheers! M2

I appreciate the advice. I do however, have a some obstacles to building my own. 1st is research - no time. 2nd, I live in base housing - no guns on base. 3rd, I PCS soon, thus buying a complete gun is quick/easy. 4th is funds - while the S&W is nice, keeping the buy on the cheap makes it easier for the wife to say "sure."

The Marine Exchange here hasn't had any 5.56 in stock since the election. I walk in last week and they have 6-7 of them. I like supporting their shop. Besides, they price match and no sales tax.

I liked the spreadsheet and my gun GK just went up. However, I don't see myself putting thousands of rounds down it. Hell, I've only put 400 rounds through my Taurus since last Aug.

On a side note, I think it is our obligation as Americans that we help keep the gun shop inventory low. Happy Independence Day everyone.

What base? I've lived on three so far and they all allowed me to keep guns in my house provided they were registered with SFS. And if you are looking at AR's I highly recommend the LMT piston. It's pricey but a great weapon and LMT does have military contracts and a great reputation.

What base? I've lived on three so far and they all allowed me to keep guns in my house provided they were registered with SFS. And if you are looking at AR's I highly recommend the LMT piston. It's pricey but a great weapon and LMT does have military contracts and a great reputation.

This is true. LMT makes the Close Quarter Battle Receiver (upper) for the Navy's Mk18 Mod 0 carbine. I am going to buy one for an AR pistol I'm building (4th AR now). LWRC and LMT both make fine piston rifles.

ETA: Make an account on Brownells and you will find the PMAGs there for about a $1 cheaper than on Bravo. Either way, both are great deals.

Edited by Timbonez

M2 - is that 30-rd mag fixed, or is it quick-detach?

Basically, to reload, do you remove the mag and slap in another, or feed stripper clips through the top?

CB

The US-made TAPCO "Intrafuse SKS Rifle System" with the T-6 stock uses a quick-detachable magazine system, but I plan to replace the 30-round magazine with a 10- or 20-rounder as I am not sure if this one is US-made (no markings) and therefore it may not be 922r complaint.

But for traditional SKS rifles, they are loaded via stripper clips. I got ten with the gun, but I have heard it is a pain to try and use them with the TAPCO mags.

Cheers! M2

I was at the MCX the other day, and they have 5.56 gunnery in stock.

I think I'm going to get the Bushmaster M4A3 16" barrel for $1040.

They had an Armalite M15 (didn't get the model #, but M4 style w/foldable front sight, removable carry handle) for about $1180, but I don't see the need to pay extra to fold down the front sight. That and I hear Bushmaster is better.

Although tempting, I saw a S&W MP15 VTAC.

Now, time to find some ammo.

I'd buy the Colt for a little more money. You will have to find a transfer dealer but you can use Gunbroker to find one pretty easily. Another reason to go with Colt is the future resell value - they will hold their value a lot better than pretty much any other gun out there. Also realize that Colt seems to build their rifles in batches through out the year. At times (like now) the market is flooded and the prices are very, very competitive with other makers. When they start to dry up the prices start soaring. Only a couple months ago they cost $1500-$1800 pretty easily.

If you want to "build" a rifle do what timbonez said - buy BCM parts through bravocompanyusa.com - it is nice going that route as well since it spreads the cost out over time as well.

BF

Again, for those looking to build an AR, I gotta recommend Dreadnaught Industries!...here are some examples of their work...

This page details some examples of the type of AR15 rifles that Dreadnaught Industries would be proud to build for you. While we can sell off-the-rack guns, DI specializes in custom creations! If you want a .725" diameter 19.25" barrel with angled fluting on a bright red upper and lower, we can do it...if you want a standard M4 (but with a decent trigger), we can do that too. You tell us what you want!

AR_18midlength_1.jpg

This rifle is the flagship product of our AR line. It features an 18" fluted stainless barrel with a steel adjustable gas block, mid-length gas system, LaRue Tactical full free float four-rail forend with low-profile rail covers, chrome bolt, lightweight titanium bolt carrier, oversized magazine release, oversized charging handle latch on a steel charging handle, forged upper and lower, flat trigger, a Meopta 1-4 K-dot scope in a LaRue mount, Pride/Fowler red dot on a Burkett mount in the "Jerry Approved" position, and an F2 compensator. This is a state-of- the-art rifle for Open competition (or Tactical, with the red dot sight removed).

AR_18_IOR212.jpg

Dreadnaught's take on the Army's Designated Marksman rifle! This AR pattern features an 18" .750 diameter 1/10 stainless barrel with a full length gas system, steel gas block, LaRue Tactical full free float four-rail forend, chrome bolt, stainless steel bolt carrier, skeleton stock, oversized magazine release, oversized charging handle latch on a steel charging handle, forged upper and lower, ACE SOCOM stock, flat trigger, and an IOR 2-12 illuminated scope. This rifle is a solid all-around performer with more magnification for longer shots.

AR_Liotaopen_Mar08.jpg

This lightweight rifle was built for the two-time Texas State 3-Gun Lady's Champion, and features a carbine-length gas system with a steel gas block under a long free-float handguard with 1913 rails and sling swivel studs, skeleton stock, forged upper and lower, flat trigger, vintage M16 grip, Leopold VXIII 1.5-5 scope, Tasco PDP4 secondary scope, and extended controls. Light and fast!

AR15_hoser_1.jpg

Another AR pattern weighing in at a mere 6 pounds 12 ounces with the C-More, the Hoser MK1 features a lightened carrier, adjustable gas system, matched gray upper and lower, ACE stock, and a stainless barrel.

More in a second...

As promised...

AR_M4_aimpoint.jpg

This M4 was built for military-style competition as a stealthy sort of Open gun. It features a 14.5" M4 chrome-lined barrel with pinned F2 compensator to bring the barrel length back over the dreaded 16" mark, LaRue free float handguard, folding front sight with Tritium insert, folding rear sight, Aimpoint Comp M2 with Killflash, and a JP trigger.

AR_pink_1.jpg

Built as a birthday present for the manager of Dreadnaught Industries, this little carbine features a lower and handguards from Cavalry Arms, forged upper, stainless light profile barrel, steel gas block, flat trigger, extended controls, and a PDP4. Very light, very fast, and very...pink!

CAV_16inch.jpg

The Professor Model lightweight carbine. The Cavalry Arms lower is fitted to a forged upper, CAR- pattern barrel with a four rail steel gas block, short free float handguard, JP trigger, and a PDP4.

ar10_open_1.jpg

This rifle started as a Armalite AR10T and was turned into a full-house Open gun! It features a 18" barrel turned down to .750 diameter, JP "Tank" compensator, free float forend, adjustable gas system, radically lightened bolt carrier, skeleton stock, JP trigger group, Leupold 3.5-10 Tactical scope, and a OKO scope on the handguard. Built for a shooter who didn't want to shoot minor!

M16_Cav15_duo.jpg

The top rifle was built from vintage parts as a late-Vietnam-configured AR pattern rifle for a customer interested in historical rifles but not interested in historical rifle prices. The bottom rifle is a ultra-light rifle built from a Cavalry Arms lower, plastic Vulcan upper, carbon fiber forend, M16A1 "skinny" barrel cut back to 18" and fitted with a Rolling Thunder comp (at the customer's request). The lightest rifle we have ever built!

M16_M16A2_duo.jpg

The same M16A1 type over an example of our desire to thwart abject stupidity. The bottom rifle was a standard Colt Match Target, which now features the "evil" bits that Colt refuses to sell to us...a flash hider and a bayonet lug.

SBR_sharkbrake.jpg

Last (and shortest), an example of our more entertaining projects. This is a papered Short Barreled Rifle with a 7" barrel, pigtail gas system, trimmed free-float handguard, steel gas block, EOTech, and a Tromix "Shark Brake" because it just looked so...cute...

Here are two of my ARs.

LEFT:

LWRC 14.7" Piston upper w/perm flash hider

ASA Lower

Aimpoint Comp M4s

Troy diamondhead rear BUIS

Troy aluminum VFG

RIGHT:

All Bushmaster Superlight 16" A1

Spec Ops MAMBA 3-point sling

The image is kind of crappy, but oh well. I'll post another pic of my other two ARs once I finish building the lowers for them.

Another gun show this morning, and after having breakfast with some buds at IHOP, we went over. I found TAPCO 20-round magazines for $15 including tax, the cheapest I have found them prior was $19.95 + tax. I snagged two. I also got a metal bipod that works on both the SKS and AK. It is not permanently attached which is what I like, no worries about compliance. I also picked up 20 targets as it looks like a group of us are going to start shooting at Camp Bullis, a huge training area in NW San Antonio that has ranges up to 1000 yards! I obviously will be using a range a lot shorter than that, but it will be nice having the whole range to ourselves!

Cheers! M2

Anyone know of any regularly held 3-gun matches in Texas and/or South Dakota?

Also AR-15 #3:

BCM 16" upper (mid-length gas system)

BCM full auto bolt carrier

Cavalry Arms lower

Rock River Arms lower parts kit with 2 stage trigger

I'll post #4 once I finish building it (probably next week).

Edited by Timbonez

Anyone know of any regularly held 3-gun matches in Texas and/or South Dakota?

Also AR-15 #3:

BCM 16" upper (mid-length gas system)

BCM full auto bolt carrier

Cavalry Arms lower

Rock River Arms lower parts kit with 2 stage trigger

I'll post #4 once I finish building it (probably next week).

T-bonez

Texas Tactical does three-gun matches at Cedar Ridge near Bulverde...

Cheers! M2

Thanks, M2. I'm really interested in the He-Man iron sight only divisions. Basically your rifle has to be .308 or .30-06 iron sights only, your handgun has to be .45 ACP (.45 GAP and .44 Magnum is allowed in some), and your shotgun has to be a 12 gauge.

I see they have a battle rifle division, a service revolver division, and manual shotgun division. I think that pretty much fits what I'm looking for but I'll email them and ask. I'm looking to use my M1A or M1 Garand, my Smith & Wesson model 29 (one of my .357s would work if they won't let me use the .44 mag), and a basic Remington 870 w/20" barrel.

It looks like they have IDPA and Carbine matches as well. I'll definitely take a look at these.

Edited by Timbonez

T-Bonez

I won't be able to go for the next couple of weeks; but if you are planning for after that time I might be able to so let me know...

Cheers! M2

T-Bonez

I won't be able to go for the next couple of weeks; but if you are planning for after that time I might be able to so let me know...

Cheers! M2

Sounds good. I won't be in San Antonio until mid-August anyway, but I'll let you know.

Boy, 10, shoots home intruder in the face.

PORT ALLEN, LA (WAFB) - A ten-year-old boy left home alone with his sister used his mother's gun to shoot an intruder in the face, police said.

Late Tuesday, West Baton Rouge Parish sheriff's deputies received a call to a Port Allen apartment complex after several shots rang out from inside one of the apartments. "You are out here trying to work and for someone to come and do that and invade your home is very hard," the children's mother said. She asked to not be identified.

Deputies say Dean Favron and Roderick Porter knocked several times on the apartment door. The two young children, a ten-year-old boy and eight-year-old girl, stood on the other side, terrified. "He told his sister to be quiet and seconds later, they started kicking on the door and finally kicked the door in," said Sheriff Mike Cazes. The two children ran to their mother's bedroom closet.

In a panic, the ten-year-old grabbed his mother's gun for protection. "He did what I told him to do. I never told him to get the gun, but thank God he did," she said. Once the two suspects opened the door, threatening the kids, deputies say the boy fired a bullet into the lip of Roderick Porter. The two men were taken to the hospital by a third suspect, who is a 15-year-old juvenile. Once they got to the hospital, they were later arrested. "It's just hard. I don't understand why they would do that. I know they have little brothers and sisters and they wouldn't want anyone to break into their house," said the mother.

Each man is held on $150,000 bond. The juvenile, was taken to a local detention center. One of the suspects, Dean Favron, just finished serving almost seven years in prison for aggravated assault on a Baton Rouge police officer and two carjacking charges. He was released on June 6th.

Both men will appear before a judge next month.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=10741492&nav=menu57_2

The bad guys lived, but the kid is only 10, so I think we should all cut him some slack.

For anyone in San Antonio who is interested, we recently got information on how to shoot at Camp Bullis, the Army training post in NW SA. They have range open to DoD ID card holders on the weekend that--depending on circumstances--can include targets up to 300 yards out. Annual fees are a mere $25! I shot out there this past Saturday and it was great.

PM me and I will send you the details.

Cheers! M2