Gun Talk

VL-16

Any of you guys have experience with quick-access handgun safes? My son is old enough now that loaded guns present obvious problems. However, I want to keep a loaded handgun in the house (bedroom at night primarily) in a locked container, but still have quick access. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on different companies, biometric vs. mech, etc. Just looking for anyone's recommendations/experience with such products. I also plan on putting up some mounts for at least one of the shotguns high enough that my son can't reach them, but my wife and I can.

Sorry I'm late to the fight on this one. I'm a big fan of simplex mech locks, thick steel, and protected hinges. The simplex lock never needs batteries and is almost completely silent (doesn't make that whirring noise) when you need it. V-line makes some pretty good ones, but there are other manufacturers too.

Any of you guys have experience with quick-access handgun safes? My son is old enough now that loaded guns present obvious problems. However, I want to keep a loaded handgun in the house (bedroom at night primarily) in a locked container, but still have quick access. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on different companies, biometric vs. mech, etc. Just looking for anyone's recommendations/experience with such products. I also plan on putting up some mounts for at least one of the shotguns high enough that my son can't reach them, but my wife and I can.

This is the first time I have the opportunity to keep loaded guns in the house for defense while keeping my kid away from them (been overseas for several years until now). Any advice in this department welcome!

I have several safes. My favorite is the GunVault. It comes in various sizes. I have one of the smaller ones which is perfect for a single pistol plus spare mag and flashlight. It is a combo with a hand-print shape for the button layout making it easy to use in the dark. It has a battery but also includes an AC adapter so no worries about it dying at the worst possible time. There's also a key backup.http://www.thefirestore.com/store/pr...Fc3m7AodKjgAwA

I have a Barska fingerprint reader safe as well. It works first try 95% of the time but the fingerprint reader lights up and it does make a little noise as the bolts move. Like the gunvault it's AC powered and has a battery backup and a key backup. http://www.wayfair.com/Barska-Mini-B...FTJo7AodHCwAPg

For the times when more firepower is called for there's also this: http://www.costco.com/ShotLock-Universal-Solo-Vault-Safe.product.11609953.html

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/pictures/the-5-most-dangerous-guns-in-america-20140714

Breaking news from Rolling Stone's investigative journalism department of excellence!

Saw that last night and couldn't stop laughing.

I like how for rifles it says in 2012 there were 320 people killed (homicides) with rifles and that they are mostly used for hunting. I think more people are probably beaten/stabbed to death in Chicago before lunch than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If this is true (probably is), then I think we need to give M2 a lot of alcohol and also make sure he doesn't go postal.

Kind of surprised this didn't happen sooner...

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/07/foghorn/breaking-obama-administration-bans-import-izhmash-kalashnikov-saiga-firearms/

Well, my Russian Kalashnikovs just went up in value, but the chances of adding any more to the collection just dropped through the floor. Luckily, I am on a 1911 kick at the moment!

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/pictures/the-5-most-dangerous-guns-in-america-20140714

Breaking news from Rolling Stone's investigative journalism department of excellence!

"Investigative reporting!" :bash:

Any advice on a .308 semi-auto? I was looking into a Ruger model as well as a Sig ($$). Thanks.

Just build one. These days you can find .308 lowers all over the place. Get a CMMG or Palmetto lower parts kit, VLTOR A5 buffer system, Geissele trigger, and then just buy the upper pre-assembled if you don't have a bench and torque wrench to assemble it yourself.

I've built a handful of rifles and highly recommend it. That way you get what you want from top to bottom and you won't pay extra just because it was assembled elsewhere.

"The court ordered the city to now allow residents from the District and other states to carry weapon within its boundaries."

The biggest thing that stood out to me is the "other states" part, is the judge ordering the District to give reciprocity? If so that could be huge.

"The court ordered the city to now allow residents from the District and other states to carry weapon within its boundaries."

The biggest thing that stood out to me is the "other states" part, is the judge ordering the District to give reciprocity? If so that could be huge.

Update: According to Emily Miller (via Twitter), DC's Chief of Police has ordered her officers to not arrest anyone carrying a firearm who can legally carry one in any State. Now there are 30 States with open-carry witout a permit--does this mean that residents of these States can now open-carry a pistol on their hip in DC? This is getting very interesting...

https://mobile.twitter.com/EmilyMiller/status/493572214558851072

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/07/dean-weingarten/breaking-dc-police-chief-recognizes-right-to-carry-reciprocity/

• Upvote 1

Well there's that but I was speaking more towards reciprocity with CCW permits.

She tweeted out right after that:

"@EmilyMiller: More -- DC police chief using guidance from AG -- grants full reciprocity for all open and concealed carry from others states."

Edited by Fuzz
  • Upvote 1

Copy. I think it's all pretty awesome...fairly skeptical though to see how it turns out. I have a feeling the Appellate Court will strike it down and it will go to the SCOTUS, which ruled favorably on Heller in 2008.

But I don't think this is just conceal carry vs open carry, I think it may include both. And in Vermont (among a few other States) you don't need a permit to CCW.

• Upvote 1

mk12.jpg
Zero-ing the iron sights on the Mk12. Stupid sick groupings even with random 55gr run of the mill 556. I need to get off my ass and order the correct Leopold Mk4 scope (their Mil/LEO discount is insane btw) and some Mk262 77gr 556.
And anyone know how to a tune a KAC 2-stage trigger? I was getting doubletaps so quickly swapped out lowers so nobody could claim I had an NFA rifle.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20140811_145729462_HDR.jpg

Light weight build coming along nicely. Still needs a muzzle device (FSC 556), light weight BCG, charging handle, and some little parts but overall 80% there.
Really liking this carbon fiber handguard. It's stupid light and really nice quality.
IMG_20140811_133512691.jpg
And ignore the rail riser, just using that to hold the handguard on until the barrel nut gets here.

Around 5 pounds.

I am not sure if I want to spend the money for a lightweight BCG (JP, Loki, etc). But I am planning on an RMR for the optic and that's pretty dang light.

My goal isn't to set any records with this build (thus the rifle length handguard instead of a carbine). I want it to be really light but still be a SHTF rifle that is practical and useful. So it will BUIS and the Magpul ASAP is already on it.

mk12.jpg
Zero-ing the iron sights on the Mk12. Stupid sick groupings even with random 55gr run of the mill 556. I need to get off my ass and order the correct Leopold Mk4 scope (their Mil/LEO discount is insane btw) and some Mk262 77gr 556.
And anyone know how to a tune a KAC 2-stage trigger? I was getting doubletaps so quickly swapped out lowers so nobody could claim I had an NFA rifle.

Tune the trigger? I would say learn trigger follow through first before you claim the gear as the problem. For what it's worth, I would suggest getting away from the double tap mentality. Often I see students (especially from the comp crowd) who double tap because they think its about trigger speed. Change the mentality to 'scoring speed'. Seeing what you need to see from the gun rather than seeing one sight picture and hoping your sight recovery and muzzle deviation is tight enough that you slap the trigger twice as fast as you can and 'hope' you make your next shot. If accountability is an issue, get away from that mindset. Track your sights and let the gun give you the feedback during the course of fire. Not the target. If you notice where your sights lift and return, you'll be able to anticipate when the bolt has cycled forward enough that you can break your next shot if the situation dictates.

Next question. Why Leupold? Do you have a reticle preference, glass coating/type, mounting solution and mission requirement?

Lastly, if you're looking to build a rifle for SHTF, why are you going light? Lightweight builds are close encounters shooting. It's been my experience that even with a lightweight barrel and good ammo you lose major capability. You take a perfectly suitable gun for 700 meter shots (provided you have the right glass and ammo) and throw a LW barrel in the mix and it suddenly changes to a 300 meter one trick pony. Also, why on earth would you want a lighter BCG? That has nothing to do with building a lighter rifle. It will actually change the reliability of the rifle as well. If you want a lighter rifle why not just get a 14.5 pinned/welded gov profile barrel, a BCM KRM, and run a H3 buffer. It will be reliable and if weight is an issue, hit the gym. Choose reliability and capability over weight.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by yerfer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The KAC 2 Stage trigger literally can be "tuned." And I'm probably not using the correct phrase to describe what was happening. I pulled the trigger once and two rounds came out...after two or three times of this occurring I swapped lowers to one with a CMMG LPK and the problem did not reappear. The two lowers had the same brand buffer, tube, and spring. Only difference was the trigger.

I am going with Leupold because it's the "correct" optic for a Mk12. Basically I am building a Mk12 Mod0 clone, so trying to keep the parts as correct as I can.

Personal preference, but my SHTF gun would be a close/medium range weapon (ie: AR-15). I have a tricked out M1A for distance (not a bolt gun but it's still sub MOA), the soon to be completed Mk12 for an SPR, and an M-16A4 clone for shits and giggles.

I haven't heard of anyone having reliability issues with lightened BCGs. In fact, the competition (3-gun) competitions are full of them and reliability is just as important to them as to anyone else. Really, I don't think light weight AR's sacrifice any reliability compared to a full weight. Sure, if you ran over a polymer lower with a tank I am sure it would crack...but baring that unlikely scenario... What part has you worried?

(And the barrel for my lightweight is a 14.5 that will have the FSC 556 pinned to bring me over 16" so it's not an SBR...damn you Illinois!)

Edited by StoleIt
  • Upvote 1

The KAC 2 Stage trigger literally can be "tuned." And I'm probably not using the correct phrase to describe what was happening. I pulled the trigger once and two rounds came out...after two or three times of this occurring I swapped lowers to one with a CMMG LPK and the problem did not reappear. The two lowers had the same brand buffer, tube, and spring. Only difference was the trigger.

I was a little confused on that as well.

I think the term you're looking for is "doubling". Definitely best to get that worked out before some Fud thinks you're rocking FA at "his" shootin' range and calls the Federales...

• Upvote 1