Gun Talk

VL-16

I think I have finally picked out the handgun I want to buy. However, I'm running into issues going through the process because of my situation. I'm a resident of one state, physically live in a 2nd state, and am assigned to a base in a 3rd state. This is causing all sorts of headaches (particularly when state laws come into play). I'd rather not post anything more specific on this thread. If you'd be willing to help me navigate this, I'd appreciate a PM. Thanks!

DC area?

Just ordered one of these from J&G...

64035-caicenturion39akstylerifle762x39mi

I wasn't a big fan of the Centurion 39's "tactical" look but this more classic-looking version really caught my eye! I know I'm taking a bit of a chance with Century's build reputation (it's been spotty in the past but folks are saying it's improved as of late), but for $600 it's worth a gamble.

I hope it gets here in time for my January fishing trip to the Gulf of Mexico! :thumbsup:

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

Centurion 39 update. I got the rifle the Monday before last. It's nicely built but there were a few small things that bothered me, namely the stamped top cover and selector; so I ordered new correct ones for a milled AK through RTG. The parts came in yesterday and I had to do a little work on them to get them to fit (the cover was a tad too long, and the selector didn't fit on the receiver. I filed down the former and Dremel'd the latter and both work great now) and I also replaced the Century grip with a more traditional one. I am pretty happy with how the gun looks and shoots now...

IMG_6950_zpsf2da18c6.jpg

I put 150 rounds through it last Sunday with only one FTF during the first mag, which I attribute to a little breaking-in needed. Otherwise it shot great.

So the bottom line is for a sub-$600 "American-made" (a questionable claim) milled AK it's a good deal. It's a little different from its Soviet and Communist brethren, but the lineage is there. I would rate it just below my Yugos and above my WASR-10/63; which is about right on par for the price. It looks a helluva lot better in the traditional furniture (from TAPCO's TimberSmith line minus the grip, which sucks because it would look really good with a matching wooden grip on it!) than the "tactical" stuff that the first Centurion was dressed in, and the Warsaw Pact-length stock works a lot better than the NATO-length plastic one on the first model.

The only downside is that the wood will make it harder to sink into the Gulf! :navy:

Cheers! M2

I'm planning on digging through this thread extensively, but I have about $1000 in my pocket that I would love to put towards an AK. Any quick advice? I have a AR and know some basics about AKs but nowhere near the level that you all do. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I'm planning on digging through this thread extensively, but I have about $1000 in my pocket that I would love to put towards an AK. Any quick advice? I have a AR and know some basics about AKs but nowhere near the level that you all do. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Duck

I would recommend a Saiga or a Bulgarian Arsenal, but it all depends on what you want out of the rifle.

Check out Atlantic Firearms, J&G Gun Sales or Bud's Gun Shop (Arsenals or Century) for the best deals (in that order). Atlantic offers better AKs but they're also more pricey.

Cheers! M2