Gun Talk

VL-16

Well I spent my day off by going out to the range and shooting my 1911, XD-45, and my Bersa 380. Shot about 60 rounds through the 1911, 90 or so with the XD, and 50 with Bersa. I hadn't shot my XD in a while since I got my 1911 in, but once I got my finger under control it was a blast as always to hit what ever I wanted it to. Now the 1911 I was having some issues of pulling it down before today but I was able to correct that and its a nail driver now that I fixed the operator issue. Its a lot more accurate that I will ever be with it. The Bersa is a great little gun, especially for what I paid for it 6 years ago. It's my main summer carry gun down here in Tx. Here's a shot of one of the targets. I know there's a few fliers but those were from 21 yards out. photo2.jpg

My local gun store/range has a SigArms P226 on consignment for $485. I'm thinking of offering $440 or $450.. It's in good condition with night sights. Do you guys think that's a good deal? Any thoughts on the P226?

Do you know the year of manufacture? Does it have a rail? SIG was once one of the best service/duty type handguns being built. Since the introduction of their most recent CEO, Ron Cohen (formerly of Kimber), they have declined. This change happened around 2004/2005. I still believe the classic series of SIGs (P220, P226, P229, etc.) are still a pretty good, but they aren't what they used to be in terms of quality control. They are expensive for what they are now and most people would be better served by a Glock or M&P. In your case, however, that is a fairly good price for a used SIG depending on its condition. In general the P226 is an excellent pistol, and if I was in your position I would buy that gun as long as my questions had been satisfactorily answered.

Actually I bought it new from grabagun.com.

That's an excellent price.

Anybody catch the first episode of 'American Guns' on Discovery tonight? You could definitely tell that it's a play off Sons of Guns. Having said that, it was decent to watch. Awesome scenery in Colorado...and the mom is definitely MILF material with what appears to be a nice boob job.

Coolest part of the episode was when Kurt (the owner) took a jet ranger to a ranch in the mountains to see this old dude's gun collection--guy had a sweet house and a pretty cool vault where he kept his guns.

I wasn't too impressed with the show, but since it's about guns, I'll probably keep on watching it unless it becomes super gay.

Those internets are powerful informational tools.

Some slack time today revealed that my Dad's 1911A1 was manufactured in 1945 by Colt.

I was hoping to find the "AFPG" markings since he was on the USAF Rifle and Pistol team in the 1950s. Apparently, that marking was one made by the Air Force Armory (geez, a USAF armory. Must be back in the days when there were O'Clubs where you could drink, a base auto shop, an aero club, and a ramp full of new airplanes. Sigh...).

Anyway, no such luck on the AFPG marking. But the rest of the markings, a "GHD" and a "P" on the frame match with the serial number being from the last batch of Colt wartime production.

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

It's always fun brainstorming out loud with fellow gun owners.

I'm currently separated from the fiance due to work...and she likes the idea of her carrying a gun now for protection (A country girl and she's willing to take a class too...so she's prepared for it).

So what should I get her?

I am leaning towards a revolver since I have seen her try to rack the slide on a pistol...she doesn't seem to have the upper body strength to rack it easily. This worries me, since she might not be able to clear a malfunction.

So in order of preference I am thinking of this:

S&W 38 Bodyguard

Ruger LCR w/XS Trijicon sights

S&W J frame in .22 Mag

Am I leaving anything out? (Not really impressed with the offerings from Taurus or Charter Arms)... I know .22 Mag is not ideal, but better than nothing when the chips are down.

So what should I get her?

I am leaning towards a revolver since I have seen her try to rack the slide on a pistol...she doesn't seem to have the upper body strength to rack it easily. This worries me, since she might not be able to clear a malfunction.

So in order of preference I am thinking of this:

S&W 38 Bodyguard

Ruger LCR w/XS Trijicon sights

S&W J frame in .22 Mag

First off, when choosing what weapon to purchase for conceal carry, you have to ask yourself (or in this case, ask your fiance)..

-When/how often will the gun be carried?

-How will she carry it? (I know a majority of women carry in their purse...how big is her purse--ie does she need a small gun or can she have a larger subcompact?)

-What is her experience with guns in the past? It shouldn't be too hard for a girl to be able to rack a slide on a small gun in order to clear a malfunction

-Will this gun also double as her protection in the house?

Though I carry my Ruger LCP on many occasions (just because it's so easy to slide in a pocket when I'm running out the door--I usually try and go with one of my .40's), I am not a big fan of the .380 for personal defense. Yes, it's better than nothing, but you could make the same argument for just about anything--better off choosing a firearm with a more adequate caliber (.38 special/9mm being the minimum).

As for a revolver, not a bad option--especially if it's going into her purse. I carry my J-frame snubbie once in a while, but they're not nearly as easy to shoot as a semi-auto, plus reloading is not as quick compared to just changing out a mag. Unless she really likes revolvers over semi-autos, I would go with the auto.

Having said all of the above, I would have her check out a 9mm. There are some good options in smaller frames--check out the Kahr PM9/CM9, Kimber Solo, Ruger LC9, etc--the Kahr and Kimber being my favorite. You should be able to go with her (or have her go by herself) to a local gun range where she can rent several kind of guns in order to find out what she's comfortable with using.

Hope some of this helps...all just my opinion.

Thanks for the input...and you are right... she is the one who will be carrying it, not me.

At a certain point you have to ask the question "Why am I deciding the gun she will buy? She sure as shit isn't telling me what shoes I wear"

I guess I shouldnt be so quick to write off a single-stack .380 or 9mm... I think I might need to try that one more time with her.

I will say this... I am not hot on the idea of her carrying it in a purse, for the fact that I think if you carry a gun...it needs to be on your person at all times.

(But again, maybe I am wrong on this one)

On the flip side, I think I should be grateful to have a fiancee that is open to the idea of arming herself...and defending her own life. Too many crazies out there.

Skip the .22, while I know that round can be as lethal as any other projectile; I am still a firm believer that there are better options out there.

Forget the revolvers aren't great concealed carry weapons especially for women. I know they are simpler and easier to resolve a misfire, but I think a woman who carries should carry a semi-auto and know the correct procedure to clear it if required. It's not that tough to rack a slide, I wouldn't make that an issue.

Instead, check out either a decent .380 (Ruger LCP or Taurus TCP, I prefer the latter) or a small-framed 9mm like the Taurus PT709 Slim. Or, if she's willing to try it, have her shoot a full-sized 9mm or even a .45 ACP. My wife recently shot a bunch of my pistols and ended up liking the XD-45 the best (well, after the TEC-9, which is a blast to shoot but makes for a horrible carry weapon!).

By the way, I agree with you on purse-carry; I don't like the idea but the wife is equally against carrying a pistol on her person. It's been an on-going debate between us and I have yet to convince her I am right (as usual).

Anyhow, best to try and get her to shoot several pistols and see what she prefers. Many ranges will rent them, or find some buds and see if they're willing to make a day of it at the range if you buy ammo and lunch!

Cheers! M2

Maybe, or it could be a reaction of the metal from heating. I've seen this on non-SIGs. Those :rainbow: SIGs' finish is very distinctive.

I'm interested to see how your SIG runs so keep us updated through the 1k, 2k, etc. milestones.

Well, I've got to be well over 1,500 rounds now and I have to say that for $399 the SP2022 is an amazing gun. It was 100 dollars cheaper than my Xd and works just as well if not even better. Neither of them have failed me yet but the Sig is just so much fun to shoot.

I've put everything from top-o-the-line hollow points to the world's crappiest hand made reloads through this strap and it just chews up everything and spits it out without problem. I've since depussified my hand and can shoot it double action no problem. I guess that's the Sig learning curve.

I've tried everything from randomly stacking different ammo types to limp wristing, firing extremely hot, rapid firing, this thing will not jam.

I must have shot that Russian Tula Ammo more than any other. WalMart special $9.99.

So far no jams, no failures, no exploding barrels, dropping mags, double feeding lose or rattling parks. Not one sign of trouble. I also carry it concealed quite often and have not had any problems. I also live near TCM so yeah, we're wearing heavy clothes 10 months out of the year, but still. Some people don't like packing full sized pieces, but I've never had a problem with it.

I replaced the guide rod that came with it, because that one felt cheap and was made of the same material as the grip. Polymer is fine, but not on a guide rod. I spent 20 bucks and bought a stainless steel one from http://guiderod.com.

It seemed to increase the accuracy as well. And this thing is accurate. I was hitting 10 pound pumpkins at 70 yards last Saturday. Not consistently or with any amount of precision accuracy, but I was hitting them. Or as Jamie Fox would say, I was getting the orange mist.

Unfortunately, just like that time I scored with two chicks at once, I DO NOT have photographic evidence :bash: :bash: :bash: But, this thing shoots spot on, just like me with the ladies, giggidy.

For a 400 dollar gun I'd give it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. The only reason it would lose points isn't really because of the gun itself but some of the :rainbow: er Sig querks. taking it down can be a pain, and it only comes with one mag. But other than that, if you have 400 bucks burning a hole in your pocket, or you want an entry level / high performance sig, go get yerself one in 9mm or .40 today!

That's good to hear. Let us know how it fairs when it gets into higher round counts. Despite SIG's drop in QC that past few years, I like their 22X series of pistols. They just need to stop with the stupid marketing bullshit and focus on the designs they make well. Their focus as of late has shifted away from what made they a reputable company.

Looks like some Arab Jews living in Texas may not be attending this class...

"If you are a non-Christian Arab or Muslim, I will not teach you the class with no shame; I am Crockett Keller, thank you, and God bless America."

He's on track to get that pesky license revoked so he won't have this dilemma in the future.

This just in...the guy making this ad is a bigoted moron. A true believer of gun rights wants as many law abiding citizens as possible owning firearms...regardless of race or creed.

Fortunately support for gun rights is (those not favoring a ban on handguns, specifically) is the highest its ever been. Link

Also, "Self-Reported Gun Ownership in U.S. is highest Since 1993". Link

29_browning_bda380_Main.jpg

note: not my photo

OLD SCHOOL - Browning BDA .380

I've been wanting one of these for a while but since they are out of production finding one in great shape for a workable price has been a challenge.

One I surmounted over the past week.

This is a very old school looking pistol. One that the performance backed up.

i put 150 rounds through it yesterday and 150 successful bangs resulted. It's a very solid piece of craftsmanship - even though it says "Browning," it is actually produced by Beretta. It is very similar to the Cheetah series of Beretta .380s with the enclosed slide of the Browning being a major difference. Placement of the safety/decocker being another. This Browning has it on the slide.

It's also fairly big. It's larger than a PPK by about a third and I put it about the same size as an officer's 1911 .45. The barrel is 3.8 inches, and has either a 10 or 13 round magazine (depends on whether it was manufactured pre or post-big magazine ban. Either fits.)

The sights suck. Front is a miniscule fixed half-moon bump with the rear sights being windage adjustable with, and I kid you not, the instruction manual showing a guy using a wood shim being hammerd by a mallet to move the dovetailed sights left or right. TLAR for results.

With the trigger guard being artistically pleasing, it is not designed for a stressful situation in my opinion. The opening is kinda small and a gloved finger would be danged near impossible for me to insert.

Double action pull is MUCH better/lighter than my PPK/S, with a very clean break. Single action is also good, very sharp, no drag or hesitation, not as good as the Walther to me, but still not heavy. It's a very 1 or 0 trigger

The safety/decocker is tiny and nearly flush with the slide so it's troublesome to work.

That said, at 25 feet, this thing was silver dollar-sized 10 ring for 100 shots. Slow fire, aimed shots to be sure, but if I did my part, it did its. At 50 feet, the front sight disappeared to my eyes (black sight, black target) and the results were accordingly placed. All but 2 of 50 in the much wider 9 ring, but damned tough to do. The two outliers weren't much into the 8 ring, but still...

This is an all steel gun so it's heavy which soaked up the .380 recoil.

Take down is very traditional - push the pin, rotate the lever, move the slide forward, take the guide rod/spring out, take the barrel out, clean, reassemble.

I like this gun a lot. It looks good, it shoots good if you do your part, and it looks like a pistol from an older time.

I do not see it ever being a carry piece. For the size, there are much larger caliber handguns available with better sights and, in some cases, much less weight/bulk. It's too big for a concealed weapon and too small for a service pistol. No, this is strictly a range queen for me, but I really like it.

Available in a very nice nickel or traditional blued finish, I wanted the blued version. Both have very comfortable, kinda chunky nice walnut grips.

Thanks for the input...and you are right... she is the one who will be carrying it, not me.

At a certain point you have to ask the question "Why am I deciding the gun she will buy? She sure as shit isn't telling me what shoes I wear"

I guess I shouldnt be so quick to write off a single-stack .380 or 9mm... I think I might need to try that one more time with her.

I will say this... I am not hot on the idea of her carrying it in a purse, for the fact that I think if you carry a gun...it needs to be on your person at all times.

(But again, maybe I am wrong on this one)

On the flip side, I think I should be grateful to have a fiancee that is open to the idea of arming herself...and defending her own life. Too many crazies out there.

Sorry, late to the discussion but my wife carries an LCP. Colorado is one of the few places where you can carry in the colleges (they all have different policies though). Anyways, she likes it. She can carry it in a few different ways: purse, ankle, backpack. She has a tough time locking the slide back but racking it to reload isn't an issue-grip it and rip it.

I like it take the LCP when I don't want to carry my Kahr CW-9 (good price, thing shoots great-highly recommend too).

The one thing I did is paint the front sight (with white nail polish-none the less).

Bigger is better but something is better than nothing, buy what you'll carry!

Good luck with your choice.

Edited by FreudianSlip