Baseops Forums
Guest e3racing

Promotion and PRF Information

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

Got mine back today.  After rushing an out-of-cycle OPR through so I'd have a #7/99 FGOs on my record, I got a P.

About what I was expecting, but damn did leadership burn a lot of manpower trying to give me hope leading up to it.

In the end, #5/10 eligibles with the standard "definitely promote" on the second line.  

I've already made my peace with being an iron major, I just wish leadership would be realistic about it instead of creating new hoops for me to jump through on the chance that I'll be the 1% of guys promoted APZ.

I thought APZ is gone? Aren't you still technically "in the zone" under the new rules? Or is that not how it worked out? 

2 hours ago, FLEA said:

I thought APZ is gone? Aren't you still technically "in the zone" under the new rules? Or is that not how it worked out? 

They scrapped BPZ this board, but they haven't officially implemented the five-year zone yet.

Who knows, maybe the categories will help.  I've heard rumors that the rated/spec ops category will have a selection rate of 95%.  Seems like that would fit with a rated manning crisis, but when has the Air Force ever made common sense decisions?

Posted (edited)

Got mine today, 3/9 I/APZ with ‘if I had one more DP, he’d get it’. We got two DP  outright at our wing. According to the OG I fared well at the MLR but didn’t squeak out a DP from there. 

Better than I expected. The rest of the two lines make me look like a rockstar so hopefully it’ll pay off in May. 

Edited by Bigred

They scrapped BPZ this board, but they haven't officially implemented the five-year zone yet.
Who knows, maybe the categories will help.  I've heard rumors that the rated/spec ops category will have a selection rate of 95%.  Seems like that would fit with a rated manning crisis, but when has the Air Force ever made common sense decisions?

I saw 90% on the slides from A1.

I saw 90% on the slides from A1.

90% of the IPZ pool. So a +5% change plus the previous BPZ (something like 125 promotions).

Anybody heard if the COVID-19 travel restrictions will impact the upcoming promotion boards? Could they end up doing them virtually or postponing them?

17 minutes ago, 14N Guy said:

Anybody heard if the COVID-19 travel restrictions will impact the upcoming promotion boards? Could they end up doing them virtually or postponing them?

I’ll be honest, you win for question I least expected with all the shit going on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SurelySerious said:

I’ll be honest, you win for question I least expected with all the shit going on. 

I figured all of the smart people have asked most of the important questions.

On 3/14/2020 at 9:20 AM, 14N Guy said:

Gotta assume May O-5 board will postpone until after they lift the Stop Movement, which I really really hope is on May 11th and not after.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Got an email from my Sq/CC today that stated the following chances In the upcoming boards. The rate for the Colonel board was the most surprising. 

O-4: 95%
O-5: 85-90%
O-6: 60-65%

Edited by Bigred

6 hours ago, Bigred said:

Got an email from my Sq/CC today that stated the following chances In the upcoming boards. The rate for the Colonel board was the most surprising. 

Is that for yall air-breathing types only?

Also, holy shit.

25 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

Is that for yall air-breathing types only?

Also, holy shit.

From a buddy at AFPC

IMG_1896.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone hears if upcoming boards will be pushed right? The Navy apparently just  suspended all boards after 24 Mar until a date to be determined. I wouldn’t be surprised if the AF follows suit. 

7 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

It is only the % of IPZ. A minor change to the overall stats. It is not a percentage of the whole I/APZ group. It equates to another 100 or less above the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

So when are we actually doing away with the APZ designation? I guess I don’t see how these massive changes to the promotion system have a major impact on APZ folks when the category still exists and the 90% chance of promotion doesn’t actually apply to them.

18 hours ago, Bigred said:

Late last year, the AF implemented a program to allow senior Colonels to stay on an extra three years beyond the mandatory retirement time of thirty years TAFCS. The increased promotion opportunity and attempts to retain senior Colonels suggests the AF does not have enough for the out years. 

Six years ago, a retired two-star told a group of us he believed the AF would eventually get to a point where if you hung around, you would be promoted. It seems like we’re almost at that point. 

Good luck ya’ll. 90% is pretty good odds. But as a 2x APZ’er I’m not gonna hold my breath.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lifer said:

Good luck ya’ll. 90% is pretty good odds. But as a 2x APZ’er I’m not gonna hold my breath.

I'm not exactly confident as a 1xAPZ with a P.  But I can retire on 50% of O-4 pay, so I'm not exactly concerned either.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2020 at 7:05 AM, Muscle2002 said:

Six years ago, a retired two-star told a group of us he believed the AF would eventually get to a point where if you hung around, you would be promoted. 

Who was it that said that?

8 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Who was it that said that?

Huggy,

It was this guy. Granted, I don’t recall every detail of the discussion, but the implication was that AF life would get tougher (due to attrition) and then eventually better for those who stuck around because of increased opportunities.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2020 at 9:05 AM, Muscle2002 said:

Late last year, the AF implemented a program to allow senior Colonels to stay on an extra three years beyond the mandatory retirement time of thirty years TAFCS. The increased promotion opportunity and attempts to retain senior Colonels suggests the AF does not have enough for the out years. 

Six years ago, a retired two-star told a group of us he believed the AF would eventually get to a point where if you hung around, you would be promoted. It seems like we’re almost at that point. 

Yeah, about that...

Any other 2+ APZ types here get blank PRFs back from their SRs (despite it being only two lines) or am I just that good?  I get that the odds probably didn’t change significantly for APZ  because we haven’t moved to the five year window yet but just curious if other SRs didn’t think it worth their time to bother with even a two liner for their previously passed over guys as well.  

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, soupafly06 said:

Any other 2+ APZ types here get blank PRFs back from their SRs (despite it being only two lines) or am I just that good?  I get that the odds probably didn’t change significantly for APZ  because we haven’t moved to the five year window yet but just curious if other SRs didn’t think it worth their time to bother with even a two liner for their previously passed over guys as well.  

Unfortunately those of us APZ types are at the mercy of their SRs “personal preference” when it comes to how you PRF is presented. It always bothered me having to complete one, then seeing it leave blank

3 hours ago, soupafly06 said:

I had an O-5 tell me I could do that if I wanted to. I won’t get promoted, but I want the AF to have to tell me no again. Don’t want to make the decision for them.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jrizzell said:

Unfortunately those of us APZ types are at the mercy of their SRs “personal preference” when it comes to how you PRF is presented. It always bothered me having to complete one, then seeing it leave blank

That's the second SR that's done this, with their policy being "I won't send a filled in PRF for any 2+ APZ."  For those smarter than me, is that a policy thing or an unwritten rule somewhere?  Is it really too much to ask for a board to spend all of three minutes reviewing my package (STS)?  I understand the calculus about odds and all that but it feels like a slap to the face when an organization believes you’re not worth two lines and three minutes, no matter your contribution.

Thanks for letting me vent.  These are crazy times and there are more important things but this time of year usually gets me riled up for a couple of weeks until I accept my standing  in this place again.  Stay safe out there 

• Upvote 1