Jump to content

COVID-19 (Aka China Virus)


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Negatory said:

So is your stance also that we can’t prove the terrorists were behind 9/11 or the Holocaust was real?  Because, although the vast majority of society, historians, scientists, and the government hold those positions, they technically are unknowable. Just like almost every fundamental “truth,” if you ascribe to Fitch’s paradox.

No, I just thought we were posting random irrelevant wikipedia articles without commentary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These horror stories of police arresting people on the beach or dragging people out of church are way overblown.  The media is going to over-report anything that will get views and outrage--similar to

The Crozier situation has sparked many illuminating conversations up and down the chain.  No, we don’t know all details but the core issues ring true to anyone who has experienced mid-level authority

You went from making a reasonable point to saying religious people should all get together and give themselves coronovirus because they’re stupid.  Not sure why or how you made this leap, but maybe yo

Posted Images

We weren’t, but I award you two points for the undeserved smugness and skipping of the question.

The point is that just because an opinion exists doesn’t automatically mean that it is worthy of consideration.

An opinion that is so far outside of the realm of perceived truth (it goes against the CDC, it was literally retracted for inaccuracies, contradicts multiple governments and basically every scientific paper, etc) doesn’t need to be tolerated or put on the same playing field as ones that actual have any scientific backing.

Edited by Negatory
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Negatory said:

We weren’t, but I award you two points for the undeserved smugness and skipping of the question.

The point is that just because an opinion exists doesn’t automatically mean that it is worthy of consideration.

An opinion that is so far outside of the realm of perceived truth (it goes against the CDC, it was literally retracted for inaccuracies, contradicts multiple governments and basically every scientific paper, etc) doesn’t need to be tolerated or put on the same playing field as ones that actual have any scientific backing.

How did you manage to go from complaining about me skipping your 9/11 and Holocaust question, to stating that some things just are not worthy of consideration... in two sentences... while failing to make the connection?

That's impressive.

Follow up question: How did you manage to write two consecutive rather wordy rebuttals in consideration of the professor's COVID thesis... just before smugly dismissing them as "not worth your consideration"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-awareness

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When half the peeps in a survey are going to refuse a vaccine..think that wearing a mask invades their rights...and won't give up visiting crowded gin mills..I think that the gig is up.  It's not gonna be herd immunity or vaccines or masks or 9-11 or the Holocaust..It's gonna be Mother Nature who will examine your genetics and those genetics will either save you or they won't..won't be any different than 1917 and AIDS...  It's gonna be a self induced disaster...A "free to be me" progression ...and Mother Nature swings a mean bat..good luck..

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alpharatz said:

When half the peeps in a survey are going to refuse a vaccine..think that wearing a mask invades their rights...and won't give up visiting crowded gin mills..I think that the gig is up.  It's not gonna be herd immunity or vaccines or masks or 9-11 or the Holocaust..It's gonna be Mother Nature who will examine your genetics and those genetics will either save you or they won't..won't be any different than 1917 and AIDS...  It's gonna be a self induced disaster...A "free to be me" progression ...and Mother Nature swings a mean bat..good luck..

Liberty, motherfucker.  Get some! 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alpharatz said:

When half the peeps in a survey are going to refuse a vaccine..think that wearing a mask invades their rights...and won't give up visiting crowded gin mills..I think that the gig is up.  It's not gonna be herd immunity or vaccines or masks or 9-11 or the Holocaust..It's gonna be Mother Nature who will examine your genetics and those genetics will either save you or they won't..won't be any different than 1917 and AIDS...  It's gonna be a self induced disaster...A "free to be me" progression ...and Mother Nature swings a mean bat..good luck..

It's amazing for me that an entire forum of people who signed on the dotted line and were willing to sacrifice their lives for this country aren't willing to tolerate a little discomfort or get a vaccine that's far less risky than the average combat sortie in order to help the country.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, torqued said:

How did you manage to go from complaining about me skipping your 9/11 and Holocaust question, to stating that some things just are not worthy of consideration... in two sentences... while failing to make the connection?

That's impressive.

Follow up question: How did you manage to write two consecutive rather wordy rebuttals in consideration of the professor's COVID thesis... just before smugly dismissing them as "not worth your consideration"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-awareness

 

The posts flow together and are all related in reference to the paradox of tolerance. Feel free to address their merits when you have a second, although I know you won’t because you backed yourself into a logical corner.

In regards to why I responded to the invalid post claiming zero excess deaths: If someone said something outrageous, and the forum agreed for some unknown reason, then a rebuttal is warranted as I assume people don’t have information.

The solid truth is that there are COVID excess deaths on the order of at least 200k+. I looked into the claims, and they are invalid. She compares unchanging death percentages month to month when she should be comparing total deaths which shift based on time of year. She is misrepresenting facts, just like you guys did when you tried to claim that the CDC actually admitted that only 6% of COVID deaths are real:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/09/cdc-did-not-admit-only-6-of-recorded-deaths-from-covid-19/
 

Disinformation and Facebook is now even killing my peers.

Edited by Negatory
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2020 at 10:56 AM, Negatory said:

The TRUTH is that we’ve had over 300k excess deaths just until October, and probably tens of thousands since then.

33 minutes ago, Negatory said:

The solid truth is that there are COVID excess deaths on the order of at least 200k+.

Wanna take a wild guess as to why I might suspect that it’s possible you’re full of shit? 😂 

  • Downvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, M2 said:

Liberty, motherfucker.  Get some! 

I like liberty. I’d like the liberty to eat at my favorite restaurant, to go to a concert, to take a vacation, to watch my kids play team sports, to throw a party, and many, many other things I haven’t been able to do in a while. None of that is going to happen anytime soon unless the majority of our population agrees to be vaccinated. Vaccine = liberty. 

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

It's amazing for me that an entire forum of people who signed on the dotted line and were willing to sacrifice their lives for this country aren't willing to tolerate a little discomfort or get a vaccine that's far less risky than the average combat sortie in order to help the country.

 

You have absolutely no idea what long term effects said vaccine might have - Forcing someone who is incredibly low risk to take something that could even potentially have negative long term effects is garbage. Should my 2 year old who doesn't even have a fully developed immune system yet be forced to take it?

Forced vaccine equals liberty? No. 

And you must be flying some crazy missions in country because I never thought my 9 hour flights over there in an old ass Hornet were any riskier than an average training sortie. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn’t allowed to say anything until today, but it's now okay for me to share that I have volunteered for the Covid-19 vaccine from Pfizer. The vaccine is the one that has been developed in Russia. It is in 6 different stages and I received my first dose this morning at 06:20 am, and I wanted to let you all know that it is safe and I’m ok, with иo side effects whatsoeveя, and that I feelshκι я чувю себя немного стрно и я думю, что вытл осные уши. чувству себя немго страо. Comrade!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, M2 said:

Liberty, motherer.  Get some! 

If we had better contract tracing I would be all for this. If there is one ICU bed and it’s between an essential worker and somebody who has weekly house parties? Sucks to suck but the essential worker gets the bed and the partier get to live with their decisions. 
 

Hospitals are already preparing to ration care (and some have started). Personal actions are not playing a role in who will get rationed care but I think it should. If we are going to scream personal liberty then the flip side of liberty (dealing with consequences) should play a role in who receives life saving care with COVID. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

 

You have absolutely no idea what long term effects said vaccine might have - Forcing someone who is incredibly low risk to take something that could even potentially have negative long term effects is garbage. Should my 2 year old who doesn't even have a fully developed immune system yet be forced to take it?

Forced vaccine equals liberty? No. 

And you must be flying some crazy missions in country because I never thought my 9 hour flights over there in an old ass Hornet were any riskier than an average training sortie. 

https://www.consumerreports.org/coronavirus/how-to-know-if-coronavirus-vaccine-is-safe-and-effective/
 

It’s going to be as safe as any other vaccine out there.  Even if you feel you are at low risk, remember, widespread vaccination is as much about removing your potential to be a vector for the disease as it is about protecting you from it. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prozac said:

I like liberty. I’d like the liberty to eat at my favorite restaurant, to go to a concert, to take a vacation, to watch my kids play team sports, to throw a party, and many, many other things I haven’t been able to do in a while. None of that is going to happen anytime soon unless the majority of our population agrees to be vaccinated. Vaccine = liberty. 


Weird. I haven't been to a concert, but I've literally done all of those other things multiple times. I suppose the virus hasn't decided to lock the doors and turn off the lights where I live.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Prozac said:

https://www.consumerreports.org/coronavirus/how-to-know-if-coronavirus-vaccine-is-safe-and-effective/
 

It’s going to be as safe as any other vaccine out there.  Even if you feel you are at low risk, remember, widespread vaccination is as much about removing your potential to be a vector for the disease as it is about protecting you from it. 

I can post links too. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/concerns-history.html

If you're scared, get it. If you are concerned for older or unhealthy people you associate with, get it. Why should I buy additional risk, however small? I volunteer to buy some risk for some things, but that is and should remain my decision. 

1 minute ago, torqued said:


Weird. I haven't been to a concert, but I've literally done all of those other things multiple times. I suppose the virus hasn't decided to lock the doors and turn off the lights where I live.

Agreed. I go out to eat with my wife and daughter about twice a week at local restaurants (outside now, which isn't so bad in San Diego), went on vacation this past weekend with three other families, thrown and attended parties/get-togethers just about every weekend, and my daughter goes to the park about 3-5x a week because its good for her development at such a young age to socialize. 

Some people just give up their liberties more easily than others I suppose. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tank said:

I wasn’t allowed to say anything until today, but it's now okay for me to share that I have volunteered for the Covid-19 vaccine from Pfizer. The vaccine is the one that has been developed in Russia. It is in 6 different stages and I received my first dose this morning at 06:20 am, and I wanted to let you all know that it is safe and I’m ok, with иo side effects whatsoeveя, and that I feelshκι я чувю себя немного стрно и я думю, что вытл осные уши. чувству себя немго страо. Comrade!

I see things haven't changed much in Russia/USSR since WW2 . Typically volunteers for vaccines in that AO are Shatrafniki's assigned to a Shtrafbat.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

I can post links too. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/concerns-history.html

If you're scared, get it. If you are concerned for older or unhealthy people you associate with, get it. Why should I buy additional risk, however small? I volunteer to buy some risk for some things, but that is and should remain my decision. 

Agreed. I go out to eat with my wife and daughter about twice a week at local restaurants (outside now, which isn't so bad in San Diego), went on vacation this past weekend with three other families, thrown and attended parties/get-togethers just about every weekend, and my daughter goes to the park about 3-5x a week because its good for her development at such a young age to socialize. 

Some people just give up their liberties more easily than others I suppose. 

Again... Baffling to hear military members engaged in such a high-risk activity as aviation suddenly unable to take a miniscule risk for the protection of their fellow Americans.

I'll be first in line for the vaccine.  People like you are why 2021 will look a lot like 2020 in terms of masks and movement restrictions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pawnman said:

Again... Baffling to hear military members engaged in such a high-risk activity as aviation suddenly unable to take a miniscule risk for the protection of their fellow Americans.

I'll be first in line for the vaccine.  People like you are why 2021 will look a lot like 2020 in terms of masks and movement restrictions.

Aviation isn't risky, it's unforgiving.

People like you are why the future will look like "1984."

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VMFA187 said:

Aviation isn't risky, it's unforgiving.

People like you are why the future will look like "1984."

People who understand science and vaccines?

Ok.  Keep going to those parties.  I'm sure nothing bad can possibly happen.

Edited by pawnman
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

I can post links too. 

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/concerns-history.html

If you're scared, get it. If you are concerned for older or unhealthy people you associate with, get it. Why should I buy additional risk, however small? I volunteer to buy some risk for some things, but that is and should remain my decision. 

Agreed. I go out to eat with my wife and daughter about twice a week at local restaurants (outside now, which isn't so bad in San Diego), went on vacation this past weekend with three other families, thrown and attended parties/get-togethers just about every weekend, and my daughter goes to the park about 3-5x a week because its good for her development at such a young age to socialize. 

Some people just give up their liberties more easily than others I suppose. 

You’re certainly free to exercise your own judgement, just as the rest of us are. I choose to minimize my exposure because I understand there is a chance that I could be an asymptomatic spreader. Let’s say I attend a party. I’m relatively young, healthy, and do not regularly come into contact with high risk individuals. The partygoers are much like myself. But those people in the crowded room with me.....some of them will likely come into contact with at risk populations. Thus, even though I’m highly likely to survive, and I’ve taken steps to ensure I’m not directly in contact with elderly or immunocompromised individuals, I’m still potentially spreading a virus that is deadly to some. Well, it’s a relatively limited group of people at the party you say? Well, take that to a national scale and multiply by the millions of Americans who really want to get together (understandably, human nature) and you see why this thing continues to spread. The only things that are going to stop it are A) a vaccine, or B) it burns itself out and kills many hundreds of thousands more in the process. A vaccine that a significant majority of the population receives is literally the ONLY way we get back to anything resembling normal any time soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Prozac said:

You’re certainly free to exercise your own judgement, just as the rest of us are. I choose to minimize my exposure because I understand there is a chance that I could be an asymptomatic spreader. Let’s say I attend a party. I’m relatively young, healthy, and do not regularly come into contact with high risk individuals. The partygoers are much like myself. But those people in the crowded room with me.....some of them will likely come into contact with at risk populations. Thus, even though I’m highly likely to survive, and I’ve taken steps to ensure I’m not directly in contact with elderly or immunocompromised individuals, I’m still potentially spreading a virus that is deadly to some. Well, it’s a relatively limited group of people at the party you say? Well, take that to a national scale and multiply by the millions of Americans who really want to get together (understandably, human nature) and you see why this thing continues to spread. The only things that are going to stop it are A) a vaccine, or B) it burns itself out and kills many hundreds of thousands more in the process. A vaccine that a significant majority of the population receives is literally the ONLY way we get back to anything resembling normal any time soon. 

Did you take these same precautionary measures 1 year ago? If not, what was your personal magic number threshold? 65,000?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, torqued said:

Did you take these same precautionary measures 1 year ago? If not, what was your personal magic number threshold? 65,000?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

Unfortunately, we have been living with flu deaths for a long time. What I’m not willing to live with is heaping another two to three hundred thousand deaths a year ON TOP of that number. Also, there are a shit ton of Americans who blow off their flu vaccines every year. Maybe that 65,000 doesn’t have to be so high either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Prozac said:

Unfortunately, we have been living with flu deaths for a long time. What I’m not willing to live with is heaping another two to three hundred thousand deaths a year ON TOP of that number. Also, there are a shit ton of Americans who blow off their flu vaccines every year. Maybe that 65,000 doesn’t have to be so high either. 

You sorta didn't answer the question. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but 200,000 is about where you draw the line. Less=unfortunate, but life goes on. More=Lock it down.

Good news. You're correct. 65,000 doesn't have to be as high. The COVID response effectively eliminated flu deaths. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–2020_United_States_flu_season

So now let's say you get the vaccine and COVID is a non-issue. Are you cool going back to business as usual and accepting tens of thousands of flu deaths as a cost of living?

If not, which precautionary measures would you make permanent?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...