Baseops Forums
Jughead

Retirement / Separation Considerations

Question about the BRS....

im currently AD in search of a reserve gig with 15+ yrs time in service. If I have a few month break in service from getting out of AD and starting reserve job, how does that work for retirement plan?  After starting with the reserves, I have 30 days to decide legacy plan or BRS?  Or auto enrollment into BRS??  Thanks

It should be that so long as you are in the service for all of 2018, whatever decision you make by 31 Dec 18 stands. With that many YOS and your intention to make it to at least 20 good years via a reserve gig, it should be a no-brainer for you to stick with Legacy. To do that, just do nothing; you have to opt-in to BRS.

On a side note, I'd do everything possible not to have a break in service, it just complicates everything down the road. GL!

*YMMV, I'm not a lawyer, make sure you do your own due diligence with all financial decisions*

Edited by nsplayr

Heard a rumor recently, but am not knowledgeable on the right pubs to investigate myself..

My UPT ADSC expires in two years and I want to separate at that time. I’m currently in an X-Band and expect I’ll get tagged for a deployment. My vulnerability period runs from 8 months prior to 2 months prior to my ADSC.

Day one of my deployment can fall anywhere in that 6 month window, and I can expect a 6 month deployment. I’m told I can get tagged for a deployment up to 12 months out. But, I can’t apply for separation until 12 months prior to my ADSC. 

Which means there’s a large window where I can tagged with a deployment that will take me past my ADSC, without having had the opportunity to drop papers and since I’ll have been tagged with a deployment, can’t separate til I return. 

Does this sound right to you guys? I’ve heard this from a few individuals and get lost in the AFIs when I attempt to figure it out. While I don’t really want to do a non-flying deployment, it is what it is.. I definitely don’t want to extend past my ADSC. Palace Chasing is the only thing I can think of that may protect me from this situation. 

If you are tasked with a deployment that takes you beyond your ADSC you opt out and establish a separation date. 

Edited by Homestar

Heard a rumor recently, but am not knowledgeable on the right pubs to investigate myself..
My UPT ADSC expires in two years and I want to separate at that time. I’m currently in an X-Band and expect I’ll get tagged for a deployment. My vulnerability period runs from 8 months prior to 2 months prior to my ADSC.
Day one of my deployment can fall anywhere in that 6 month window, and I can expect a 6 month deployment. I’m told I can get tagged for a deployment up to 12 months out. But, I can’t apply for separation until 12 months prior to my ADSC. 
Which means there’s a large window where I can tagged with a deployment that will take me past my ADSC, without having had the opportunity to drop papers and since I’ll have been tagged with a deployment, can’t separate til I return. 
Does this sound right to you guys? I’ve heard this from a few individuals and get lost in the AFIs when I attempt to figure it out. While I don’t really want to do a non-flying deployment, it is what it is.. I definitely don’t want to extend past my ADSC. Palace Chasing is the only thing I can think of that may protect me from this situation. 

X-band means nothing. They can deploy you as long you have 6+ months ADSC left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are tasked with a deployment that takes you beyond your ADSC you opt out and establish a separation date. 

Is this true with a deployment less than a 365? I understood that until you establish a separation date you can still be tasked with something that would extend past your ADSC. A 365 however, can be 3 day opted. But we (as officers) have an Indefinite separation date until we raise our hand and say we want to quit. Am I totally wrong?

Is this true with a deployment less than a 365? I understood that until you establish a separation date you can still be tasked with something that would extend past your ADSC. A 365 however, can be 3 day opted. But we (as officers) have an Indefinite separation date until we raise our hand and say we want to quit. Am I totally wrong?

I think you're right, can't turn down a 179 if it's tasked before you have a separation date.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

But we (as officers) have an Indefinite separation date until we raise our hand and say we want to quit. Am I totally wrong?

Minor point/Quibbling: Or until you make LtCol at which point a DOS is established automatically at the 28 year point. 

Chuck

11 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

This is my understanding as well.. I’d love to find out I’m wrong. In the event I’m not.. any ideas on how to avoid this?

14 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

I misunderstood. I believe you are correct regarding deployments less than 365. 

2 hours ago, herkbier said:

This is my understanding as well.. I’d love to find out I’m wrong. In the event I’m not.. any ideas on how to avoid this?

Establish a separation date. I think you can do this NET 1-year out. 

You state your vulnerability runs from 8 months to 2 months prior to your ADSC. I would say to establish a DOS at 8.5 months out and roll the dice they won’t try to send you and get you back 30 days prior to your DOS.

3 hours ago, Homestar said:

Establish a separation date. I think you can do this NET 1-year out. 

1 hour ago, MooseAg03 said:

You state your vulnerability runs from 8 months to 2 months prior to your ADSC. I would say to establish a DOS at 8.5 months out and roll the dice they won’t try to send you and get you back 30 days prior to your DOS.

Copy, I plan to establish a separation date right at the one year out point--I'm not too concerned with showing my cards early.  But, there is a 6 month window prior to being able to establish the separation date, yet still vulnerable to get tagged with a deployment that will take me past my ADSC that I'm concerned about. I know it's not common to get tagged 12 months prior to a deployment, but it's not unheard of either..

Edited by herkbier