Taxes, the Deficit/Debt, and the Fiscal Cliff

HeloDude

If you guys are as good at predicting the market as you are at political insight and predicting elections, I'm sure you'll all be millionaires soon.

Well at least until Barack Hussein takes it all and gives it to crackhead welfare queens.

Working the market is all about predictions...sometimes you're right...sometimes you're wrong. I've been right more times than I've been wrong, which is partly why I'm more than halfway to becoming that millionaire. Give it another 7-10 years...that is soon enough for me.

I'm actually surpised the market didn't dip as much as I thought it would. I was expecting a 500-800 point drop between Thursday and Friday. There must be some brave investors out there who really believe this administration is going to make a deal by Monday. I hope for everyone's sake they do...but I'm certainly not banking on it.

Maybe "The Market" knows something we don't. Maybe "The Market" doesn't care too much about sequestration tax rate increases because it thinks that they will be temporary. Maybe "The Market" is waiting for some other event to occur. Maybe someone forgot to tell "The Market" that its supposed to drop faster than Suzie Favor's underoos.

BTW, who is "The Market," some energy entity blob?

Out

I think you should just give me your money to invest for you...I'd do pretty well picking stocks blindfolded compared to someone who thinks that the stock market/exchanges do not react to national/world events--whether induced by new laws and regulations, enemy attacks, natural disasters, etc.

Here is a refresher of how 'The Market' reacted after the 9-11 attacks. I wonder who told 'The Market' to react in such a negative way?

BTW, who is "The Market,"

Out

The market is people. A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it.

Even if we go off the cliff and "the market" doesn't completely crash, my investments still in the black will be taxed 5% higher. Why not just cash in now?

The only downside I see to selling right now is if the cliff is avoided and "the market" experiences a short term pop.

I think you should just give me your money to invest for you...I'd do pretty well picking stocks blindfolded compared to someone who thinks that the stock market/exchanges do not react to national/world events--whether induced by new laws and regulations, enemy attacks, natural disasters, etc.

Ah yes, the tried and true method of amateur investors trying to time the market. Truly a brilliant finance strategy that has been followed the world over with reliable success. This is why I come to this forum for financial advice from people "in the know".

Tell me, what expert market analysis are you using? Wild emotional mood swings between fear and greed? I hear that works well.

p.s. 9/11 happened with no advance warning whatsoever. we've known about the possibility of sequestration for over a year now. apples and oranges.

• Upvote 1

Maybe "The Market" knows something we don't. Maybe "The Market" doesn't care too much about sequestration tax rate increases because it thinks that they will be temporary. Maybe "The Market" is waiting for some other event to occur. Maybe someone forgot to tell "The Market" that its supposed to drop faster than Suzie Favor's underoos.

BTW, who is "The Market," some energy entity blob?

Out

If you think capital gains tax increase will be temporary, then you are actually making a "prediction" with regards to investments and you should invest accordingly. I predict just the opposite. I think capital gains tax rates will increase and will stay that way for the next few years. If I pull out, I lose no money if I'm right or wrong. If I stay in, I have the chance that I will pay 5% more in taxes on that same income next year in addition to potentially losing value on my stock as the "panic" sellers drive the stock value down. Why wouldn't I pull out?

Making predictions WRT world events, tax rate increases, innovations and new technologies is how "the market" works. It is all about predictions...no one knows exactly what the market will do. Like I said before, sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong. I was wrong about Apple, Ford, and GE back in 2009...I didn't have the confidence in those companies at the time, so I lost some earning potential there. but I made up for it with other correct predictions. "The Market" is emotionally driven by the people who invest in it. If you want to keep your money in the market as it fluctuates, go ahead...history shows that it will recover over the long run so you will still be ahead. You just miss out on earning potential. However, if you would like to add risk and play the market whether as an amature or with professional advice, ride the waves of emotional ups and downs and make more money. The more you risk (predict and play the market) the more you make (and the more you stand to lose).

I'm just a caveman investor, but I've managed to double my money every 7-8 years with low to medium risk investments while playing the market. Yes I've lost money, but I've made more than I lost. I'm going to continue to do it because it works for me. I pulled out of my long-term investments two weeks ago because I plan to invest in real estate next year...why not save myself 5% on my long term capital gains by cashing in before the rates increase? It makes perfect sense to me....but who am I? Just an amature caveman investor...

Ah yes, the tried and true method of amateur investors trying to time the market. Truly a brilliant finance strategy that has been followed the world over with reliable success. This is why I come to this forum for financial advice from people "in the know".

Tell me, what expert market analysis are you using? Wild emotional mood swings between fear and greed? I hear that works well.

p.s. 9/11 happened with no advance warning whatsoever. we've known about the possibility of sequestration for over a year now. apples and oranges.

Since you're slow, I'm going to teach you what I teach my students before they transmit on the radio: Think about what you want to say, say it to yourself first, then key the mic and transmit.

Read what I wrote in regards to how I stated that ''The Market' does respond to various changes in society...I listed 9-11 as an example. I would never give financial advice on here as I pay somebody to do that for me.

And P.S.--natural disasters don't typically offer much 'advanced warning' either but they certainly can affect 'The Market'.

Deal passed the Senate 89-8, actual text found here. 5 Republicans, 3 Democrats voted against, notable "nays" were Rand Paul and Marco Rubio.

BL: higher federal income tax rates for those making over $400K as individuals, $450K for couples, caps itemized deductions for individuals making over $250K, $300K for couples, a 5-year extension of 2009 tax credits like the Child Tax Credit, raises taxes on capital gains and dividends by 5% for those making over $400K/450K, permanent estate tax rate at 40% and exempts estates under 5 million/10 million for family estates, permanently patches the AMT, continues some business & energy tax credits for another year, does the Medicare doc fix for another year, 1-year extension of unemployment insurance, 1-year extension of the 2008 Farm Bill.

Edited by nsplayr

Well yea, neither side wanted to extend the payroll tax holiday so that was a given. You're 1.7% pay increase for 2013 pretty much offsets it though so it's hard to be too ate-up about it.

And I'm not 100% thrilled with the deal, probably no one is. What I AM 100% happy with is that some kind of deal got done only a little past the deadline and in the end all the big players (Boehner, Pelosi, McConnell, Reid, Obama) will have voted for it/signed it. That at least is progress that can hopefully be momentum going into the next inevitable fight.

Edited by nsplayr

Here's my day-old glass of champagne assessment: Fixing AMT permanently is a huge relief for upper-middle income families. Progressive capital gains rates is a new idea for the country. Limits to deductions for the upper class will change the way the rich (er.. the smart rich) buy homes. The Medicare payment updates to docs is needed and should not be an annual issue like AMT once was if we ever want healthcare to stabilize....of course proper Medicare rates for each service/procedure could be a lifetime's work for many smart folks. Extending unemployment is probably necessary with national unemployment still high. I personally believe Americans are under taxed for the government we have...this is a small step towards righting the ship. Stand by for the spending fight in two months.

Edited by Dupe
  • Upvote 1

.........I personally believe Americans are under taxed for the government we have....

I agree! But that's the problem, we have too much f*#%ing Government and government control.

.......... Stand by for the spending fight in two months.

God I hope so. Someone needs to draw a line in the sand over all of this spending.

• Upvote 2

I agree! But that's the problem, we have too much f*#%ing Government and government

I see it as Americans wanting more from the Government than we are willing to pay for and inefficiencies in the government we have. We can't be a nation who ensures global harmony, provides a social safety net for those over 65, funds a healthcare system for the old and poor, puts men on Mars, makes post-secondary school more accessible to all, takes care of our veterans, and has low taxes when compared to the other G-8 countries. We can choose a high tax full-service government or we can choose a low tax minimal service government. I believe the full-service low tax government that we have had through the 2000s is no longer a valid option.

• Upvote 1