Fast Times At Ridgemont High 30th Anniversary

M2

Wow, tough to believe it's been 30 years...

30 Years Later! Where Are They Now? 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High'

Movie-Poster-Fast-Times-At-Ridgemont-High.jpg

“Fast Times at Ridgemont High,” released this week in 1982, not only launched the acting careers of Jennifer Jason Leigh, Phoebe Cates, Judge Reinhold, Nicolas Cage, Anthony Edwards, and Sean Penn, it wove the catchphrase “Hey, bud, let’s party!” into the fabric of American teen and college speak everywhere.

The iconic film was inspired by a series of articles for “Rolling Stone” magazine penned by a then 15-year-old unknown (now big time director) Cameron Crowe, who went on to write the “Fast Times” script. It’s hard to believe it has been 30 years since the film’s release, and our friends at Snakkle.com help us look back at the film that made “Jeff Spicoli” a household name...(full story at title link)

Still one of the best 80s movies ever made!

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

I went to the same High School that this was shot at, it looks alot different now.. Great movie for sure, they don't make them like this anymore.

Fun fact: Anthony Edwards made one of his first appearances in this as one of Spicoli's friends.

Edited by Justanothercadet

I went to the same High School that this was shot at, it looks alot different now.. Great movie for sure, they don't make them like this anymore.

Fun fact: Anthony Edwards made one of his first appearances in this as one of Spicoli's friends.

Eric Stoltz (also Spicoli's friend) and Nicholas Cage were also in that movie.

Where was the high school where it was filmed? Is that mall and the high school in the same city?

Edit: Found it....the interwebs are "awesome...totally awesome"....thanks Al

Edited by BitteEinBit

Wikipedia to the rescue...

Fast Times was filmed in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles (although it is never explicitly mentioned as such in the film), and many people identify the movie with that area and the teen culture that existed there, or was perceived to, in the early 1980s. "Ridgemont" is a fictional name. (There is a small suburban community named Ridgemont in California near Hollister.) Crowe applied it to Clairemont High School in San Diego where he attended the school undercover. (Spicoli mentions surfing at Sunset Cliffs, a genuine surf spot near San Diego.) Most of the exteriors of Ridgemont High School were shot at Van Nuys High School, and other scenes were shot at Canoga Park High School and Torrance High. The "Ridgemont Mall" shown in the film was actually the Sherman Oaks Galleria, with its exterior shot at Santa Monica Place. Both have since been converted to open-air malls. "The Point" was filmed at the Encino Little League Field in Encino.

In the DVD commentary, director Amy Heckerling tells of how Phoebe Cates was initially reluctant to carry out her character's poolside topless scene at the house in West Hills because she thought the neighbors might be spying on the set from the surrounding rooftops.

Again, both places look alot different now (the Galleria was completely remodeled following the 1994 earthquake) but you can still make out (sts) some of the landmarks in the movie. I'm sure we would've watched it in class at some point if it wasn't NSFW.

(Its interesting to think that back then the Viper and Eagle were just coming online and F-4s were still aplenty... how things change..)

Again, both places look alot different now (the Galleria was completely remodeled following the 1994 earthquake) but you can still make out (sts) some of the landmarks in the movie. I'm sure we would've watched it in class at some point if it wasn't NSFW.

(Its interesting to think that back then the Viper and Eagle were just coming online and F-4s were still aplenty... how things change..)

Or how 69% of the people on this forum probably weren't even alive when the movie was released...

Why do you shamelessly waste my time like this?

..........................................................I don't know!

Classic!

I get asked that sometimes when I use resistance tactics during checkride ground evals.

• Upvote 1

Every time I hear The Cars' Moving In Stereo, all I can think of is the pool scene and Phoebe Cates' tits. It's in the regular rotation on my iPod...

Proud to be part of the 31%.

Phoebe Cates, I still love you...

Every time I hear The Cars' Moving In Stereo, all I can think of is the pool scene and Phoebe Cates' tits. It's in the regular rotation on my iPod...

Agree 100% with both of you. Great movie Saw the movie at the base theater while in Germany working on then 4 year old Eagles. That base is now closed and one of the jets now belongs to the Oregon Air Guard.

Agree 100% with both of you. Great movie Saw the movie at the base theater while in Germany working on then 4 year old Eagles. That base is now closed and one of the jets now belongs to the Oregon Air Guard.

If you watched it on the housing side movie theater, that movie theater just closed for good earlier this year. That place had to be one of the best kept secrets in the AF. Still one of my best assignments.