Thirty Years Ago Today...The Falklands War Started

M2

• 2 months later...
  • 10 years later...

A few JF-17s aren’t likely to let them conquer the Falklands but I wonder if the PLA would wanna try a rehearsal there before they try in their own backyard

Argentina Wants to Buy Chinese Fighter Jets https://www.breitbart.com/latin-america/2023/03/16/argentina-wants-to-buy-chinese-fighter-jets/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha!  
Yeah, Argentine fighter tactics are worrying the Drivers at Langley. 

That said, does this Administration remember that thing called "the Monroe Doctrine"? 

9 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Haha!  
Yeah, Argentine fighter tactics are worrying the Drivers at Langley. 
That said, does this Administration remember that thing called "the Monroe Doctrine"? 

Doubt they do (the admin) but as to fighters my WAG is the PLAAF is / might be interested in seeing how the Brits react and gathering technical data on NATO systems, tactics, etc...

No doubt the Chinese produced JF-17s (if the Argies choose to acquire will insist on ones with little Pakistani involvement as Myanmar is less than happy with their JF-17s with serious problems) will be there to gather trons on Typhoon radar, ECM, Meteor missile capes, etc...  

How applicable to a potential Taiwan scenario is that?  Don't know but the partial analogy to their desire to take an island 90 nm from their coast is there

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2023 at 8:02 AM, Clark Griswold said:

Watched these DCS gameplays on a Falklands 2.0 scenario(s), found them a tad interesting:

I clicked on the thread because I just completed a reserve points course on the Falklands. 

I then proceeded to watch about 90" of each of those videos and while I've never been hard up on ALSA comm brevity, these dudes were killing me. 

I clicked on the thread because I just completed a reserve points course on the Falklands. 
I then proceeded to watch about 90" of each of those videos and while I've never been hard up on ALSA comm brevity, these dudes were killing me. 

Yeah, that’s a debrief item for them ;-) but I found it interesting the idea of a modernized and well equipped Argentinian force with PRC weapons and how well it would do in an invasion scenario
Single mainly AI driven DCS scenarios I think can give a bit o’ insight into tactical/operational outcomes but it’s the strategic aspects that I doubt any readily available combat simulation software could simulate and hence give a better combat simulation… still I thought a bit more about it from the aggressors perspective after watching those two videos and I think had the Argies had TBM or stand off cruise missile capability to hit the Typhoons in shelters, destroy their runways, EW radars, ships in port, etc… they might fare better. That is if launched from a total strategic surprise with a rapidly mustered invasion force immediately following it. They (Argentina) had and may still have Condor II missiles, an updated version of this would be a real threat methinks for the UK defending the Falklands
If they chose aggression again, they would have to favor force preservation in the opening fight while trying to eliminate the garrisoned forces there now with stand off fires, then overwhelm the more capable survivors with what they have

19 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Yeah, that’s a debrief item for them 😉 but I found it interesting the idea of a modernized and well equipped Argentinian force with PRC weapons and how well it would do in an invasion scenario
Single mainly AI driven DCS scenarios I think can give a bit o’ insight into tactical/operational outcomes but it’s the strategic aspects that I doubt any readily available combat simulation software could simulate and hence give a better combat simulation… still I thought a bit more about it from the aggressors perspective after watching those two videos and I think had the Argies had TBM or stand off cruise missile capability to hit the Typhoons in shelters, destroy their runways, EW radars, ships in port, etc… they might fare better. That is if launched from a total strategic surprise with a rapidly mustered invasion force immediately following it. They (Argentina) had and may still have Condor II missiles, an updated version of this would be a real threat methinks for the UK defending the Falklands
If they chose aggression again, they would have to favor force preservation in the opening fight while trying to eliminate the garrisoned forces there now with stand off fires, then overwhelm the more capable survivors with what they have

So, if Argentina is the attacker... does that trigger NATO Article 5? Because no matter what the parity is between Argentina and the UK, the US would absolutely dominate Argentina. 

56 minutes ago, pawnman said:

So, if Argentina is the attacker... does that trigger NATO Article 5? Because no matter what the parity is between Argentina and the UK, the US would absolutely dominate Argentina. 

No.  Article 6 ("An armed attack on any party under Article 5 includes an attack on the territory, forces, vessels or aircraft of any party") specifies the agreement considered only European and North American territories "in the Mediterranean Sea or the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer," otherwise known as the "Tropic of Cancer loophole."

According to the language of the treaty, the Soviet Union could have bombed Pearl Harbor without technically invoking Article 5.

The same affects Hawaii.

Other NATO-allied possessions that fall outside of the alliance's protection include a number of Caribbean islands, Puerto Rico, French Polynesia, Guantanamo Bay, Guam, the Marianas, Samoa, French Guiana and (still) the Falkland Islands.

To note, the language of the treaty has been stretched before, given the entry of Turkey into the North Atlantic alliance...

• Like 2

M2 covered the flybys but that makes me wonder about a variation on Falklands 2.0, what if the Chinese decided to intervene?
Test their equipment, people and tactics by using their own CBG to deter intervention by the US and defeat/intimidate the RN?
That could detract even from a USN response to a Taiwan incursion as they don’t need CVN based air power there but in supporting Argentina in a Falklands 2.0 they likely draw away 1 USN CBG while their primary objective is being prosecuted
#redstormrising2

2 hours ago, Clark Griswold said:

Test their equipment, people and tactics by using their own CBG to deter intervention by the US and defeat/intimidate the RN?

If China manages to sail a full CBG and make it east of Indonesia, color me shocked and awed.

• Like 1

If China manages to sail a full CBG and make it east of Indonesia, color me shocked and awed.

Yup, this Tom Clancy / Dale Brown scenario would have to have some serious gains in operational capability by the PLAN but it would not have to be a CBG necessarily
I could see them having enough capability to deploy surface combatants, subs, AWACS, land based fighters, tankers, seaplanes (that would interesting for light resupply if the RN subs precluded initial naval resupply), etc…
Draws a lot of their capabilities to a far flung potential ally but crawl before you walk, if they are serious about power projection a little practice would not hurt
All that said I’m not for another fight over the Falklands, they are British by history and won in battle but it’s worth speculating on

• 1 year later...

Argies getting second hand vipers

https://www.twz.com/air/f-16-looks-like-the-endgame-to-argentinas-epic-fighter-saga

Kinda surprised they didn’t go for a cheaper not subject to US sanctions (parts/support) option if they wanted to have another try for the Falklands

https://breakingdefense.com/2023/09/in-argentinas-fighter-competition-washington-and-beijing-fight-for-regional-influence/