Holsters in Flight Suits

outbreak

I'm wondering what kind of holster people use for concealed carry while wearing a flight suit. The squadron issued me a cheap nylon shoulder holster but it's not comfortable in any way. I noticed a lot of guys have bought their own shoulder holsters to wear under the bag. I've looked at the Galco Jackass system, which I like because its modular, so I can get different holster components for my personal pistols and swap them out.

So what do you guys use? What features should I look for?

Yeah, the issue holster is garbage, and invariably points the barrel of the weapon at either your arm pit or the other pilot's head. If you ever stop in Incirlik, I got one at Pop's leather for about $40. It's got the horizontal style holster (I don't like the vertical ones like they sell for $90 at Ali Al Salem) and two magazine pouches. Way more comfortable.

http://popsleather.com/prod_v2.php3?prod=238

edit: link added

Edited by JeepGuyC17

Guest whyme?
Gotta protect yourself against those people who wander too far from Vegas...

...or for use when you're landing Preds/Reapers in Afghanistan/Iraq.

whilst landing. we dont go to garden spots :D our SOs get to carry the good stuff. although in some places its annoying to the point most of us will wear the m9 in a holster so it doesnt have to be lugged around, unless you are a douche that is. :beer:

Although one 45 min drive from NW LV and you will start wondering about ambush points on the way up :D

Edited by whyme?

Yeah, the issue holster is garbage, and invariably points the barrel of the weapon at either your arm pit or the other pilot's head. If you ever stop in Incirlik, I got one at Pop's leather for about $40. It's got the horizontal style holster (I don't like the vertical ones like they sell for $90 at Ali Al Salem) and two magazine pouches. Way more comfortable.

http://popsleather.com/prod_v2.php3?prod=238

edit: link added

at bases run by the Army (Bagram), you can't have a holster that points the gun backward, it has to point down at the ground. Just keep that in mind depending on where you go.

Who does concealed carry of an M-9 anyway?

An M-9 on an ankle holster? I'd probably bust my ass.

Affirm. It's comfortable, but not very practical. It'd probably take me a good 10 secs to get it out if I ever needed it in a real emergency.

Edited by day man

at bases run by the Army (Bagram), you can't have a holster that points the gun backward, it has to point down at the ground. Just keep that in mind depending on where you go.

That must be a Bagram/Afghanistan thing. At Taji in Iraq (huge Army base), I always wore my shoulder holster that had my gun pointing behind me with no problems--a lot of the Army guys did the same.

It's the result of some dip-shit over thinking. Seriously, some asshole is worried about the fact that since it points backwards it must mean that anyone behind you is constantly being flagged. Yes folks, there are people that stupid in the military and in a position to make policy.

Shouldn't surprise me, ever seen the shooting "talent" of most base cops?

I'm wondering what kind of holster people use for concealed carry while wearing a flight suit. The squadron issued me a cheap nylon shoulder holster but it's not comfortable in any way. I noticed a lot of guys have bought their own shoulder holsters to wear under the bag. I've looked at the Galco Jackass system, which I like because its modular, so I can get different holster components for my personal pistols and swap them out.

So what do you guys use? What features should I look for?

This is how I rolled during Desert Storm.

415_Large.jpg

It was issued, had a four clip holder on the other side. I wore it outside my flight suit but under my survival vest when flying. I liked it, didn’t get in the way at all. It could go under the flight suit though, if your zoom-bag was big enough to hide it.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php...t=46&page=1

Your mileage may vary.

Good luck :beer:

Edit; If you have arms it will stay on a lot better :thumbsup:

Edited by arg

For whatever reason shoulder holsters kill my back, every brand I've tried. On the rare occasion I carry I use a belly band similar to this http://bellybandccw.com

Yeah it gets sweaty when it's hot, but then so does everything else.

Pop's sells faux Louis Vuitton shoulder holsters, saw a load wearing one. Petty funny.

I ate dinner at Bagram yesterday, saw plenty of people wearing standard holsters (horizontal). A rule that didn't last or is widely ignored.

For whatever reason shoulder holsters kill my back, every brand I've tried. On the rare occasion I carry I use a belly band similar to this http://bellybandccw.com

Yeah it gets sweaty when it's hot, but then so does everything else.

Pop's sells faux Louis Vuitton shoulder holsters, saw a load wearing one. Petty funny.

I ate dinner at Bagram yesterday, saw plenty of people wearing standard holsters (horizontal). A rule that didn't last or is widely ignored.

Next time you're at Pop's, just have them make you one of those leather flight suits. That way you can have the concealed holster built right in (STS)...

I got no experience wearing a holster under a flight suit, but how about an across-the-chest rig? They are somewhat popular with backpackers, hunters, hikers, fishermen, etc. The across-the-chest holster (a.k.a Bandolier style) is fairly comfortable to wear, even while seated and keeps the handgun out of the way and secure, but accessible.

Unfortunately, most major manufactures of chest rigs (Galco, DeSantis, Uncle Mikes, etc) cater to big bore and scoped revolves. And, as far as I know, chest holsters are intended to be worn on the outside of clothing. That said, below are a couple of models that may work.

El Paso Saddlery and Cabelas carry traditional “tanker” style chest holsters. The Bianchi M13 chest harness is the modern military version. For other chest holster styles exercise Google.

Another possible alternative is a Belly (a.k,a Waist) Band holster, as show here, here and here.

The Thunderbelt may be another under the monkey suit option.

• 5 months later...
Guest mentor34

Gents,

What type of holster have you found to be the most comfortable for wear outside of a flight suit for the mighty 9mm Beretta? We were issued a thigh holster, not excited about wearing a belt to hold that up. I'm thinking shoulder holster. Any tips on a brand for purchase? Long sorties, probably no body armor. Thanks much.

I have two that I like: 1) GALCO SH3 w/202 holster for 9mm, and 2) BIANCHI #5. The GALCO is all leather with plastic grommets, very easy to clean, durable, and quite comfortable, but is heavy. The Bianchi is all nylon, very light, but has two faults: the elasticized opposite shoulder strap rides up (sts) under the armor, and since the holster is so light, the weapon feels less secure than when I'm wearing the GALCO.

post-6849-126042120563_thumb.jpgpost-6849-126042123112_thumb.jpgpost-6849-126042125077_thumb.jpgpost-6849-126042127009_thumb.jpg

Overall, I much prefer the shoulder holster when wearing the flight suit. I've tried the "tactical" holster, which I think works fine while walking around, but is just in the way when strapped in to the aircraft.

The Bianchi was about $65, and the GALCO was closer to $120. But that was in 2000--don't know what they go for these days.

Fly Safe!

Gents,

What type of holster have you found to be the most comfortable for wear outside of a flight suit for the mighty 9mm Beretta? We were issued a thigh holster, not excited about wearing a belt to hold that up. I'm thinking shoulder holster. Any tips on a brand for purchase? Long sorties, probably no body armor. Thanks much.

Refer to this , particulary to my post regarding, page__view__findpost__p__214372. The Diamond D Guide's Choice is another across-the-chest holster new to the market.

Edited for dumbness.

Edited by flyerpapa

Refer to this , particulary to my post regarding, page__view__findpost__p__214372. The Diamond D “Guide's Choice” is another across-the-chest holster new to the market.

Edited for dumbness.

There was already a thread on holsters, so I merged the two. Also, the person that started that thread has received a warning, as is standard and outlined in Rule #1 is:

UTFSF: If there is a remote chance that your topic has been discussed, use the search function to find it and re-open that thread.

And it applies to everyone from a new AFROTC freshman to the CSAF (if Norm is on here). Actually, I cut that person a break...take a look at Rule #4!

If anyone has heartburn with that, then PM any or all of the mods, or contact BaseOps himself. Otherwise, those are the rules, simple and to the point.

Also, I had thought about merging this thread into the 'Gun Talk' one given the caveat that "All Gun Discussions Here;" but will allow this one to stand on its own given most of the discussion there is on personal firearms.

Edited by M2
Softened it up for the SNAPs

In all fairness, I started the original thread as "concealed," but I've found the Galco Miami Classic rig is perfect for open carry as well. In fact, I haven't concealed it yet. The Squadron issued me a thigh holster, too, which I've worn a couple times, but all that weight on a belt while wearing a bag is not comfy for me. Lots of guys wear them, and don't seem to have any problems, but I love the Galco. It works fine with armor as well.

As for Galco, I can't say enough about the company. They are a little pricey, but you definitely get what you pay for, and a company that stands behind it's products. I emailed them a couple weeks before I walked out the door and said "Your website shows a 4-6 week back order, and I'm leaving sooner than that. Is there any way I can pay for faster shipping?" A rep called me the next day, at home. He took down my info over the phone, and promised that they would make sure my holster got to me within 7 days for no extra cost, and thanked me for my service. Awesome folks at Galco.

Edited by M2
Quoted post orphaned